Oh noes a religion thraed!

Sepsis

Brutal
Jul 22, 2004
A religion thread.

Yup, I'm goin' there.

Anyway, I want all of you to discuss what you believe and why. I'll start us off:

I believe in God, because in all my readings about the big bang and evolution and whatnot, I have concluded that the odds of such complexity and balance coming in on its own are negligible, even given our universe's 20 billion year history. I also believe in God because I think someone planted in us the natural law. It's not like other laws (gravity, for example, is what is. Natural law is what ought to be but isn't. On the natural law thing, read CS Lewis' Mere Christianity because he explains it far better than I could hope to do.

I'm Christian because as far as I have read historically (which, admittedly, isn't much) I think that the New Testament is pretty accurate. I also find other books (Bhagavad-Gita, Nag Hammadi, etc.) really esoteric, and that they don't really have anything that can be proven historically.

Those are my two cents. Discuss further.

I was atheist most of my life until I saw a spirit or ghost or whatever you wanna call it about 3-4 years ago and it was very real...no dream...then I started believing in god...I don't know why...but I do believe in god now...and I don't wanna burn in hell so i try not to sin...I don't worship him everyday and I refuse to go to church because every one I've been in was filled with morons but I believe if you keep the faith you'll go to heaven.

metal_bastard said:
I was atheist most of my life until I saw a spirit or ghost or whatever you wanna call it about 3-5 years ago and it was very real...no dream...then I started believing in god...I don't know why...but I do believe in god now...and I don't wanna burn in hell so i try not to sin...I don't worship him everyday and I refuse to go to church because every one I've been in was filled with morons but I believe if you keep the faith you'll go to heaven.

Sweet! I was actually an atheist myself, but I was saved, if you will, by a fellow from Gideons International. I was scared into believing by the book of Revelation, because I didn't want to burn in Hell either.

Sepsis said:
Sweet! I was actually an atheist myself, but I was saved, if you will, by a fellow from Gideons International. I was scared into believing by the book of Revelation, because I didn't want to burn in Hell either.

Dont take this as an attack on your beliefs, but why did you need to be scared into believing in God? To me Hell and Satan are Christianitys best friend because its a way of "the sheep in line"

In the Asatru religion Hel in a place of calm and peacefulness after one passes.

Besides if there is a Hell, thats where all the fun people will be anyways :headbang:

The13thCandle said:
Dont take this as an attack on your beliefs, but why did you need to be scared into believing in God? To me Hell and Satan are Christianitys best friend because its a way of "the sheep in line"
I was scared into believing in God initially. It's like your first skydive - It's scary as all hell (no pun intended) but afterward it kicks ass. After reading the rest of the New Testament I realize that my fear was misplaced.

In the Asatru religion Hel in a place of calm and peacefulness after one passes.
I'll have to read up on that... Not that I'll follow a religion because I like its idea of an afterlife better (if I picked and chose my religion, I really wouldn't be worshipping much more than my opinions, now would I?) but because I'd like a more broad perspective.

Besides if there is a Hell, thats where all the fun people will be anyways :headbang:
I doubt it.

metal_bastard said:
I was atheist most of my life until I saw a spirit or ghost or whatever you wanna call it about 3-4 years ago and it was very real...no dream...then I started believing in god...I don't know why...but I do believe in god now...and I don't wanna burn in hell so i try not to sin...I don't worship him everyday and I refuse to go to church because every one I've been in was filled with morons but I believe if you keep the faith you'll go to heaven.

Was this the same spirit that always seems to go see King Diamond? :D

Seriously, what was your encounter with a ghost? Just curious.

I saw this guy crying in the corner in my basement with a white robe on... and when I went to touch him there was nothing there. Completely vanished. Then later I saw some guy standing in front of my bed that looked kinda like jesus with red eyes and he said something like I am god or This is god I can't really remember....then he vanished.

Religion is an entertaining thing. :tickled:

Sweden, land of the sodmite damned, where we eat each other´s feces, lick eachothers anuses, and pee on eachother!

9982556.jpg

I´m with Captain Steel on this one.

Religion has become divisive, quarrelsome and idiotic. Religion is the reason why we have all this conflict in the world. The second that man interpret's religion is when it becomes evil..

Faith is a very personal thing-I have faith in myself and lots of ppl and things around me.
Fuck all religion-MyHatred Steve took the words from my fingers on my keyboard.

MyHatredforYouRunsDeep said:
Religion is the reason why we have all this conflict in the world.
:lol:

Communism was an entirely secular worldview and caused death and suffering Tomas de Torquemada had wet dreams about.