OK...any opinions on the new Priest album?

GateXII

Soul Collector
Jun 26, 2001
Chicago, IL
www.twelfthgate.net
Come on...let's have it! Anyone here get the new JP album...or at least heard any of it?

I've listened to the majority of the first disc so far, and IMO, it's one of the worst pieces of dog shit I've ever heard by such a major metal band. :puke:

It's a shame to even call it a Judas Priest album. The production is horrible for what their money can attain...and I have yet to hear a single riff (although I haven't heard all of the songs yet, I'm not willing to keep listening to find one..haha). JP without a riff...what's the world coming to?! :lol:

Seriously...what the hell were they thinking with this album?!?!

Thoughts?

HUGE disappointment...while Halford sounds great, there is just too
much accentuating the drama of the story rather than writing killer
riffs and kicking ass like Priest should be doing! Oh, and the production
blows too....what a major bummer!

Gotta agree with you Rob.......on the slower tunes Halford sounds fine but for the most part it's sad and hard to say you can hear age finally hitting his voice.

When AoR came out, I blasted that one for being to safe and predictable of an album and of course the followup was them taking a chance, kind of wish they stuck to playing it safe. Leave the big productions to Rhapsody, Priest needs to just rock.:kickass:

Ok... Im going to get crucified for this...

I love it. Not every song is great on their own, but all tied in together, I enjoy everything on both albums with the exception of Hope and New Beginnings. Everything else slays in my opinion.

It's different, and I haven't really listened to it much. I do like a bunch of the main tracks and skip the interludes. Prophecy, Revelation, and Nostradamus all kick ass.

I streamed it when Machine of Hate posted that link a couple weeks ago. There is no way I could just sit and listen to an album the first time through that is over an hour and half long and give it my full attention, so I kind of just had it on in the background. I thought most of it was boring but there were moments that rocked or that I thought sounded pretty epic. But, thats kind of like watching a TV show you don't like and thinking one of the commercials was good. This is not an album I feel like giving more listens to see if it would eventually grow on me.

Haven't bought it yet but I heard a couple of tunes and they were a bit boring, they definetly made me want to wait to purchase this.

Ok... Im going to get crucified for this...

I love it. Not every song is great on their own, but all tied in together, I enjoy everything on both albums with the exception of Hope and New Beginnings. Everything else slays in my opinion.

OK...just curious though...is your opinion of it based on listening to it as just a metal album...or as a "Judas Priest" album? Cuz I can see how someone, who is into that type of metal, might like it (although production still sucks IMO)...but as being a Priest fan & expecting certain elements, I find it hard to think it's good at all. Sorry. ;)

OK...just curious though...is your opinion of it based on listening to it as just a metal album...or as a "Judas Priest" album? Cuz I can see how someone, who is into that type of metal, might like it (although production still sucks IMO)...but as being a Priest fan & expecting certain elements, I find it hard to think it's good at all. Sorry. ;)

Both pretty much. I am a big concept album guy, I love the idea of writing an entire album based on a common theme. As for the "metal" factor, the metal songs on the album more than make up for the non metal ones. As a "Judas Priest" album, it ranks pretty high because of the idea and it was original for them, but in terms of their classic albums (you will never find a bigger priest fan than me if I can help it), it would rank pretty low. I think I am just one of the people that "got it" so to say. But that's the problem, if you don't "get it", I could EASILY see how someone could/would hate this album. This album is doing great things for them, as it has charted higher than any Priest album to date in the US, but at the same time, it may cause some dissension in the ranks of their fans and come back to bite them in the ass soon enough.

Brent

I'm with you on this 100%. I'm looking at it as a JP release, and it falls short of my own personal expectations. Probably listened to it 4 times all the way through, and it does absolutely zero for me. JMHFO.......

I gave it another go last night and today to see if giving it a few days off would change things ....nope...as a metal album or a Priest album it's just hard to get through, I"m a concept album fan and love Nostradamus but I find the entire thing just...not good unfortunately.

This is how I imagine the initial conversations about writing this record went:

Rob: OK, Glenn and KK, I have this FABulous idea (loose wrist flapping, crosses legs likes he’s sitting down for tea). How about we write a concept album about Nostradamus, with plenty of orchestral arrangements?

Glenn: OK, but what about writing guitar riffs?

Rob: Oh you will…there will just be strings as well. Plenty of dramatic strings. Oh, my stars, what we’ll be able to do with that live.

KK: I dunno, this sounds really gay.

Rob: (Stands up) Oh no you did NOT Mr. Man!! (snaps fingers in a Z formation). I’ll show you gay! Next time you're wearing that collar I'll make you my Freddie Mercury!!

KK: OK, rock opera it is. (mutters under breath) Bloody drama queens.

This is how I imagine the initial conversations about writing this record went:

Rob: OK, Glenn and KK, I have this FABulous idea (loose wrist flapping, crosses legs likes he’s sitting down for tea). How about we write a concept album about Nostradamus, with plenty of orchestral arrangements?

Glenn: OK, but what about writing guitar riffs?

Rob: Oh you will…there will just be strings as well. Plenty of dramatic strings. Oh, my stars, what we’ll be able to do with that live.

KK: I dunno, this sounds really gay.

Rob: (Stands up) Oh no you did NOT Mr. Man!! (snaps fingers in a Z formation). I’ll show you gay! Next time you're wearing that collar I'll make you my Freddie Mercury!!

KK: OK, rock opera it is. (mutters under breath) Bloody drama queens.

OH! OH NO YOU DIDN'T! *gets up and pulls fake nails off* It's on now!

ROFL