Old (growls) or New (clean)?

Clean or Growls

• Clean of course, are you mad to even sujest anything else!!!

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Growls are the way, please come back to your growling ways!!!

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • i'd like to see a mix between both, like opeth, only not.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • cant decide, sorry, both are great

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
i think this was done a while ago but as there a new people here i will do this again.:) , so what do you prefer and why? clean or growls, remember its not only the lyrics that sound different its also the music that changed.

I really think Jonas' clean voice fits the music on the last three albums perfectly

my sentaments exactly, but i think that katatonia now want to get far away from their older (growly) stuff, which was clear in their live show in which they only played 'Murder' and the rest of the last three albums, loads of people were upset and wanted Brave, i although thought it was the best concert ive been to this year.

I like them both, I´m looking forward for the upcoming gig with Opeth because I´m hoping that they gonna play a song of B.M.D.!

what date is that? if they tour in Belgium i hope katatonia tour with opeth here in london too, a rumour was going around that Anathema would support too, i drull. well as long as opeh come im happy, ive seen katatonia already this year so im not sure if they will come again so soon:confused: (i hope they do though)

I voted for growls. The main reason is that I utterly worship Anders (he's my favourite axe player), and clean vocals get in the way now. Not that I don't love the last 3 albums, and Jonas is really developing well as a vocalist, but I find that once bands start using alot of clean vocals, the music becomes less guitar-based. The vocalist takes on most of the melody, whereas with growls, all the melody is left to the guitars, which is what I prefer.

I find that once bands start using alot of clean vocals, the music becomes less guitar-based.

I think other vivid examples for this phenomenon are Anathema and Metallica. Vinnie and Hetfield notably improved their vocal performance, but at the same time their rhythm guitars got more tame with each release.
It's not easy for "metal" bands to combine instrumental and vocal progression without forfeiting aggression (i.e. a guitar-based sound).

p.s. I know Met is musically beside the point. :)

p.p.s. Congrats on your hundredth post :D

(just a hunch :lol: ).

Damn...you're really sharp-witted! :lol:
Between you and me, at first I was kinda annoyed when I saw someone had already had my idea. Oh well, I'm not as original as I thought :D