One question

Plus, any best of -collection tells that a band is lacking inspiration to put out fresh material.

Or they're at the end of a contract. It's a pretty common way to get out of a deal. And they're frequently put out by record labels after a band's demise to milk the material again.

Anyway, I think a "best of Opeth" would be silly. Considering "best of" albums are usually just singles compilations, it would be rather pointless.

Yay, a best of album with Porcelain Heart and The Grand Conjuration, my all time favourite Opeth songs! :kickass:

:erk:

hahaahhaaha. I agree fully man. You know that they would put them on it.

You know Road Runner is notorious for Greatest Hits albums.... i mean how many have we had from Obituary? ....and 1 Suffocation....who put how many albums out on Road Runner?....not very many.

$ grubbing pricks. lol

Now, let's say Roadrunner did decide to put out an Opeth record, and you as a fan were allowed to put up the most representative, best list of TEN and ONLY ten tracks for the disc. You were told you had to have at least ONE song from each record they've made, including Damnation.

Which ten would make your "The Best of Opeth" collection?

Here's mine:

1. The Twilight is My Robe
2. Advent
3. April Ethereal
4. When
5. The Moor

6. Serenity Painted Death
7. The Leper Affinity
8. Deliverance
9. In My Time of Need
10. Ghost of Perdition

Shit, that was hard - I have to scrap either a song from Still Life or My Arms Your Hearse to get a Watershed track on the disc. :cry:

But wait! Watershed isn't out yet, so I am fine. :p

Mine

1. In Mist She Was Standing
2. To Bid You Farewell
3. When
4. The Moor
5. Bleak
6. Wreath
7. Ghost of Perdition
8. Closure
9. Moonlapse Vertigo
10. The Leper Affinity

Then what would probably be more likely imo

1. Under The Weeping Moon
2. The Night and the Silent Water
3. Demon of the Fall
4. Face of Melinda
5. Blackwater Park
6. Deliverance
7. Closure
8. The Grand Conjuration
9. Still Day Beneath The Sun
10. Porcelain Heart

1.Prologue/April Ethereal
2.When
3.The Drapery Falls
4.Dirge for November
5.Moonlapse Vertigo
6.Face of Melinda
7.Windowpane
8.Deliverance
9.Ghost of Perdition
10.The Apostle in Triumph
11.Black Rose Immortal
12.Blackwater Park

The thing is, people's opinions vary so widely on Opeth. I'm not the only person who thinks it would be absolutely absurd to NOT have Wreath on a best of album, but it's a very dark, very dissonant sounding song and there are an equal number of people who just hate it.

1. When
2. The Drapery Falls
3. face of melinda(live)
4. The Moor
5. to rid the disease
6. the night and the silent water
7. twilight is my robe
8. grand conjuration(they wil ldefinatly include the singles, this will probably be two disc haha)
9. porcelin heart
10 previously unreleased track(they always include one hahaha, i saw someone mentioned still beanthe the sun though, like to get a copy of that someday)

thats my picks/what i think they would pick

I dislike best of albums. They take away from the REAL albums, in that they just take the most popular, accessible songs from each album. More times than not, the most popular stuff isn't even a band's best.

As far as Opeth goes, the only way for a "best of" would be to put a vote on a forum such as this on which songs to put on it. And I'd still say no. Best of albums are band-killers, and I see absolutely no point in it.

People can BUY downloads for MP3 players if they don't want the whole album. Me...I want the whole damn thing.

Just my 2 cents:heh:

1.Prologue/April Ethereal
2.When
3.The Drapery Falls
4.Dirge for November
5.Moonlapse Vertigo
6.Face of Melinda
7.Windowpane
8.Deliverance
9.Ghost of Perdition
10.The Apostle in Triumph
11.Black Rose Immortal
12.Blackwater Park

...and I can think of a million other combinations people may choose.

Opeth's not a greatest hits/best of band.:Smug:

"...and I can think of a million other combinations people may choose."

CONGRARTS!

just postin what I would like as a greatest hits Cd. and i agree with you that it would be a horrible idea to make one, i just think that would be the best possible imho.

hahaha yeah they arent a greatest hits band, the songs make more sense together on the same album, its like splitting up a bunch of really close brothers, and then putting them with different faimlys hahaha(sounded better in my head im sure)

MIKE, PLEASE DON'T GET ANY IDEAS FROM THIS THREAD!!

This thread does bring up an interesting point, however, as RR is a very major label, who would LOVE to whore out an absolutely stellar band with a tasteless, tacky, all-too-common, and money-making greatest hits album. That's what big record companies do. They like to recycle other albums (the hard work of the band), pick them apart and make their own cheap-ass quick money-maker (usually picking only the most accessible songs).

If a band is good enough, they can gain new/more fans other ways.

*Tries to make a 10-track Opeth compilation*

Blaeergh, this is difficult!

*Continues to make a 10-track Opeth compilation*

Finished!
Here it comes...

Firstly, the one that roadrunner would make:

1. The Grand Conjuration
2. Demon Of The Fall
3. Harvest
4. Master's Apprentices
5. To Bid You Farewell
6. Under The Weeping Moon
7. Face Of Melinda
8. Ghost Of Perdition
9. Windowpane
10. Porcleain Heart

Secondly, the one that I would make:

1. Patterns In The Ivy (As an intro...)
2. Deliverance (Crushes the soft intro and makes people turn of the CD and throw it away :heh: )
3. Dirge For November (A strange song which will make the people hate best- of-CDs even more)
4. Harlequin Forest (Because i intend to love it)
5. Closure (Live Lamentations) (should be difficult enough to fix for roadrunner)
6. Black Rose Immortal (hehehehe.....:heh: )
7. Silhouette (a breather before it's time for...)
8. White Cluster (...the best of Still Life)
9. Wreath (to crush teh remaining bones, can be replaced with Bondage Goat Zombir by Belphegor)
10. Epilouge (an epilouge)

...and that's all folks!

*Tries to make a 10-track Opeth compilation*

Blaeergh, this is difficult!

*Continues to make a 10-track Opeth compilation*

Finished!
Here it comes...

Firstly, the one that roadrunner would make:

1. The Grand Conjuration
2. Demon Of The Fall
3. Harvest
4. Master's Apprentices
5. To Bid You Farewell
6. Under The Weeping Moon
7. Face Of Melinda
8. Ghost Of Perdition
9. Windowpane
10. Porcleain Heart

Secondly, the one that I would make:

1. Patterns In The Ivy (As an intro...)
2. Deliverance (Crushes the soft intro and makes people turn of the CD and throw it away :heh: )
3. Dirge For November (A strange song which will make the people hate best- of-CDs even more)
4. Harlequin Forest (Because i intend to love it)
5. Closure (Live Lamentations) (should be difficult enough to fix for roadrunner)
6. Black Rose Immortal (hehehehe.....:heh: )
7. Silhouette (a breather before it's time for...)
8. White Cluster (...the best of Still Life)
9. Wreath (to crush teh remaining bones, can be replaced with Bondage Goat Zombie by Belphegor)
10. Epilouge (an epilouge)

...and that's all folks!

Plus, RR only has rights to GR and beyond.

there would have to be a Candlelight, a Peaceville, and a Music For Nations also...:zombie: