Soilwork

What do you think of Soilwork?

• They are nu-metal fags and hence shit.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • They aren't nu-metal but they're still shit.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • They're nu-metal but they are still a sweet band.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • They're definately not nu-metal, they're awesome!

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters
well dark tranquillity the past few years easily has kicked In Flame's ass all over the place. To say they "suffer from in flames" can go vise versa since both bands formed at the same time with the same members nearly, in the same scene. and DT's songwriting is quite different and more complex than In Flames. They're both gothenburg, but "damage done" and "character" clearly destroy those "tribute to your jonathon davis" and "reroute to remain" albums. Also, they were really fucking awesome live on the last tour...check out blabbermouth.net to download a live bootleg of "the treason wall"..see for yourself.

Dreadful said:
well dark tranquillity the past few years easily has kicked In Flame's ass all over the place. To say they "suffer from in flames" can go vise versa since both bands formed at the same time with the same members nearly, in the same scene. and DT's songwriting is quite different and more complex than In Flames. They're both gothenburg, but "damage done" and "character" clearly destroy those "tribute to your jonathon davis" and "reroute to remain" albums. Also, they were really fucking awesome live on the last tour...check out blabbermouth.net to download a live bootleg of "the treason wall"..see for yourself.

Granted In Flames' newest album was awful...i still think that band gets a horrible wrap when they probably shouldnt. this is why:

When soilwork debuted it was 1997 (i beleive)...they werent doing anything terribly original, but they did it well. They continued that sound for one more album, and then decided to change fairly drastically for their 3rd. That same mutation has continued since in a downward spiral. They hadnt even been around long enough to gain a permanent respect in order to turn it all around into slop 3 albums into their career without getting shit for it.

In flames started, and helped pioneer the gothenburg sound, and became the most successful band doing it for many years to come. The band evolved every album, always becoming more pop inclined, but in my opinion "in your face catchiness" was ALWAYS on the In Flames agenda...regardless what album youre reffering to. Needless to say, In flames is on ANOTHER LEVEL of melodics than 95% of metal...which in itself is impressive, and noteworthy in the metal realm to make them in the top 5 of the most successful and known underground metal bands to date. Between lunar strain, whoracle, the jester race, clayman, colony and now even reroute...they have planted their feet firmly in the ground of metal history as one of the most accessible, breakthrough and talented bands in the genre. I know many people on this forum probably got into underground metal because of this band in the first place.

However, 7 albums into their career....for them to continue to write "whoracle or colony part 2,3,4,5,6,7" wouldnt make any sense to me....as saddening as their new direction is in spite of that. In other words...they achieved greatness in the past...and are now doing something new that they want to do. Hopefully theyll come back to metal in a more old fashioned signature way one day, but if they dont...i cant get down on them too much. And im almost positive youd hear the exact same from the likes of professional metal people like Devin Townsend, Mikael Akerfeldt, Rob Halford, and any of their fellow gothenburg mates who took similar journeys.

there's no problem with changing a bit...I totally respect the music on the soundtrack to your escape...it's just all the Korn influence that ruins it. Reroute had Korn riffs and some Korn choruses here and there...this new one just had more Korn vocals...it's just a matter of personal taste really. I can't stand someone like Anders Friden doing Korn vocals. So in my opinion, the overall new direction is ruined solely because of that clean singing. I really don't have a problem with the guitars or synths they were using. In Flames needs to be less Korn is all I'm trying to say...but that I guess is my personal preference. I prefer the experimental Dark Tranquillity over the experimental In Flames.

I think there are many different avenues of experimentation In Flames could have gone down, many being more tasteful than their current choice, but that's okay - they're doing what they want.

*puts on TJR* hell yeah.

I don't know the deal with Soilwork though. I remember them and In Flames having joint sellout videos. Like the In Flames clip complemented the Soilwork clip. It's almost like they staged their departure from the metal style simultaneously.

Moonlapse said:
I think there are many different avenues of experimentation In Flames could have gone down, many being more tasteful than their current choice, but that's okay - they're doing what they want.

*puts on TJR* hell yeah.

I don't know the deal with Soilwork though. I remember them and In Flames having joint sellout videos. Like the In Flames clip complemented the Soilwork clip. It's almost like they staged their departure from the metal style simultaneously.

both those albums were arguably still metal...even though both were very dilluted and "pop" oriented. both bands are close friends though, so i really think it had nothing more to do with anything than that. but also free publicity.

on a side note, the in flames DVD is about to be released apparently. has tons of live footage, including some great old songs...but the majority are of the clayman-present era. and seems to be a lot of behind the scenes footage and interviews as well.

i may or may not pick it up...im not the worlds biggest in flames fan...but i do enjoy band dvds...and it could be a lot worse than in flames.

EDIT: i just got off the in flames website, and apparently theyre already done recording the new album. titled "crawl through knives". they claim they feel new in flames and old in flames fans will love this one...

we shall see....we shall see.

NineFeetUnderground said:
they claim they feel new in flames and old in flames fans will love this one...

Every metal band that has been around for more than 5 years says this, though....i don't put much stock in it anymore.

Can't wait for the new In Flames dvd though, that looks fucking awesome. Not as much old stuff as I'd like, but it should be cool to have Moonshield and Artifacts on dvd, at least.

haha Brian
...the new Arch Enemy from what the description is looking to be really good. More solos, more technical, heavier...they seem to be really confident and proud. Anthems I thought lacked in all those things and was somewhat of a disappointment...Wages of Sin was a drastic change from the Johan years, but I still thought it was a fantastic metal album regardless of who was doing vocal duties. Very good songwriting, solos, harmonies, drumming...it just was all there. Very balanced. I hope this new one is the same.

on a side note, the in flames DVD is about to be released apparently. has tons of live footage, including some great old songs...but the majority are of the clayman-present era. and seems to be a lot of behind the scenes footage and interviews as well.

A friend and I should be on that. We were at the Melbourne gig when they toured down here and I recall Anders telling us they were filming for the DVD, and then they did a big camera sweep of us (the crowd).

My friend met anders at the san diego gig last year and in person saw what a total asshole he is. I guess it's hit or miss with Friden. But anyway after being shot down he stole Bjorn's b-day cake. Goodtimes...unfortunately I was in Vegas.

Dreadful said:
My friend met anders at the san diego gig last year and in person saw what a total asshole he is. I guess it's hit or miss with Friden. But anyway after being shot down he stole Bjorn's b-day cake. Goodtimes...unfortunately I was in Vegas.

ive met anders and the rest of the in flames camp on several occasions...none of them ever came off as assholes at all. in fact anders was very interested to hear about what i thought of reroute, and the time before that, i saw him take about 50 pictures with fans, smiling the whole time.

*shrug*

i mean...band people are human too...sometimes people are just having bad days or are in bad moods.

ive met anders and the rest of the in flames camp on several occasions...none of them ever came off as assholes at all. in fact anders was very interested to hear about what i thought of reroute, and the time before that, i saw him take about 50 pictures with fans, smiling the whole time.

*shrug*

i mean...band people are human too...sometimes people are just having bad days or are in bad moods.

I think the convo went like this:

"hey man, my name is John, :: offering hand for a shake:: I really love your band..."

Anders: "Everyone does" ::walks away::

He was having a bad day I suppose.