Opeth and classical stringed instruments?

Biddinger

Feb 10, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Hey, I've been viewing this board for awhile now, so I finally got around to registering. Anyways, not sure if the subject was ever brought up before (my apologies if it has), but how would you feel if Opeth began to incorporate violins, cellos, etc. into their music? We've heard the piano before, and personally, I would love it if the band were to add more classical instrumentation into their sound. I'm sure they're smart enough to know what to do, and how to put it in. Though I think if they used it excessively, it may ruin it's effect. Alright, I'm done. Let's hear your thoughts.

Well I read an interview with Mikael about that...

Q: Is Opeth ever going to release a keyboard driven album? Personally I think it would be pretty interesting...

MA: "We are going to use some piano and maybe some vintage keys for the next albums. But we won't have the big choirs or cheesy string sounds, hell no! I like the stripped down sound of a grand piano, I like mellotrons, especially if they're a bit out of tune, I like Rhoads and Wurlitzers, I've grown very tired of Moogs since all the so called progressive metal bands use it all the time. I like Hammonds too... we did one rehearsal with a keyboard back in 1992, and it did truly sound like shit! Lately we've learned a bit more on how to use instruments properly and perhaps our taste have improved with the years too...so I'm rather excited about giving it another try."

Read the whole interview: http://www.metalbite.com/interviews/opeth.html

Adding string arrangements to music further compliments the existing sounds (duh).

However, since Opeth already has a tremendously thick and full sound, I'm unsure as to whether string parts would add to the music or detract from it.

a mellotron is like a synth keyboard... Camel and Pink Floyd used it extensively.. try listening to a few of their songs.