OPETH and TOOL playing the same day at the Quartfestival in Norway!

Nomansvally

Scandinavian...
Dec 21, 2005
South-Norway
News! OPETH and Tool are playing at the same stage on the 4th of July in Kristiansand, Norway at the Quart Festival! This is a dream double-bill, and I have I the ticket in my hand, as i write! This is unbelievable! Are anyone else going to experience this event?

i dont get tool man, they bore the crap out of me, each track could easily be 3 minutes long but they insist on playing the same monotonous riffs until 9 minutes of my life have been wasted.

if your gonna do long tracks you should fit more ideas into the time, like opeth do :D

just my opinion - but I guess im setting myself up for flames now

every aspect is just as important as the next, if one is flawed then i generally dislike the track

daz436 said:
i dont get tool man, they bore the crap out of me, each track could easily be 3 minutes long but they insist on playing the same monotonous riffs until 9 minutes of my life have been wasted.

if your gonna do long tracks you should fit more ideas into the time, like opeth do :D

I completely disagree. Tool's songs constantly change throughout. Their music has more of an ambiant nature to it. I don't see any comparison between Tool and Opeth really except for maybe the progressive aspect. Tool rarely have "choruses" in their songs. Something which may sound like a chorus might not be heard again. Tool are not a guitar driven band. They don't use all the fancy guitar stuff that a band like Opeth does. The guitar and bass, for the most part, are used in an atmospheric way. For me, it's the drums and the vocals that drive the music. Danny Carey is my favorite drummer on the planet (Lopez not far behind, obviously). He has created his own tribal sound since Aenima. I can't wait to hear the new record come May. I wish I could see them live before it is released, but I'm afraid Coachella may be their only US appearance before the summer. Probably will not be around these parts until the fall.

Nomansvally said:
News! OPETH and Tool are playing at the same stage on the 4th of July in Kristiansand, Norway at the Quart Festival! This is a dream double-bill, and I have I the ticket in my hand, as i write! This is unbelievable! Are anyone else going to experience this event?

FY FAEN :OMG: jeg må komme meg der! og få meg penger...

..............er Quart 18-års grense på? :erk:

oh and in english if anybody's interested(which I really doubt): :err:

FUCK :OMG: I gotta get there! and get money....

........... is it 18-years limit?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Norsk ftw!:headbang:

daz436 said:

just my opinion - but I guess im setting myself up for flames now

TOOL is just TOOL. If you don't like them, you dont like them. That is okay, and I am sure that none of the band members feelings are hurt. I am a huge TOOL fan, and my feelings are not hurt either.

Tell you what. Smoke a big joint (if you indulge), put on a set of headphones, and then listen to "The Grudge" from Lateralus. I think you might change your mind. Print out the lyrics and read them while Maynard is singing. Listen to Justin Chancellor's mastery of his bass line. Understand that Adam Jones guitar is creating the tones not heard on any other album. And this is the most important point. DANNY CAREY's DRUMMING IS THE LEAD INSTRUMENT. Everything is centered around his cadence, tempo, timber, and ferocity. Especially listen to the the last 1:00 of the song with the tempo and time changes and his sick fills. It is one of the truly creative drum lines of all time.

And if you don't like it a little more... thanks for being at least open-minded enough to give it a try.

An Equal Fan of TOOL and Opeth

MixGrafix said:
TOOL is just TOOL. If you don't like them, you dont like them. That is okay, and I am sure that none of the band members feelings are hurt. I am a huge TOOL fan, and my feelings are not hurt either.

Tell you what. Smoke a big joint (if you indulge), put on a set of headphones, and then listen to "The Grudge" from Lateralus. I think you might change your mind. Print out the lyrics and read them while Maynard is singing. Listen to Justin Chancellor's mastery of his bass line. Understand that Adam Jones guitar is creating the tones not heard on any other album. And this is the most important point. DANNY CAREY's DRUMMING IS THE LEAD INSTRUMENT. Everything is centered around his cadence, tempo, timber, and ferocity. Especially listen to the the last 1:00 of the song with the tempo and time changes and his sick fills. It is one of the truly creative drum lines of all time.

And if you don't like it a little more... thanks for being at least open-minded enough to give it a try.

An Equal Fan of TOOL and Opeth

nice post, soon as i get some grass ill get on it

im not saying theyre a bad band, I just don't think im into that kinda music so much.. I got into Opeth after being an obsessive Yngwie Malmsteen fan, that kinda describes the history of my musical taste... maybe in time I will grow to like Tool, but it just seems like background music to me at the moment.