Opeth are getting famous

Fuck it...Opeth should be the world's biggest band. I'd be swelling with pride to see Opeth getting all this recognition for their genius, and be able to smugly say stuff like 'I was into them before they got big' :D

Originally posted by Prophetix
Dont you think that Mikael wrote the songs Harvest and Blackwater Park a tinsy little bit for the fans? I mean, their nice songs but.. I just feel that way. BWP, the brutal album finisher and Harvest, the mellow song for the acoustic-Opeth fans

NO! I maybe be wrong but I believe all the opeth albums have had these acoustic songs and the brutal shit. Me thinks that Mikael wrote Harvest and Blackwater Park for himselfs just as Credence and Karma...

Originally posted by Prophetix
I remember a time when Opeth were really underground and noone knew anything about them. I liked the underground Opeth. It seems that their getting more mainstream with every album. I feel its beginning to affect their musical integrity in some ways esp. with the BWP album (Which I really love) is a little mainstream friendly. Its really gonna be a shame if they end up like In Flames.
I still have my faith in them. It just worries me. :rolleyes:
Comments..?
Did you read the News-thread some days ago where Mikael stated that the upcoming album will be the heaviest of them all? So I don't really fear they're really getting in a mainstream direction.
And I think if a band gets out 5 albums of such quality, they won't stay underground forever. They're widely recognized as an outstanding band. So they'll become somewhat more known(and already have done that during the last years since Orchid), but as long as they have those epic tracks and the brutality, you can't speak of mainstream.

Nice thread i'd say. People getting pretty emotional over here.

Like Alex said, the new album is going to be incredibly fucking heavy once again, so let's just wait for it and see. Really do hope it's true.
I don't believe they're actually sell out's. Still brutal ten minute songs, so you won't hear me complaining. Though of course it was fun to know them when no one knew them yet. Opeth is still fucking amazing.

Big Hail to Opeth!!!!!!!!!

blackwater park has the deepest growls of any of the albums i think. so i dont think they are getting "softer". i dont think we have to worry about opeth's music becoming bad. they will always be great :).

Any music with death vocals will never be mainstream. Any music that is +10 minutes long will never be mainstream. Any music that is progressive has a fat chance in hell of being mainstream.

I wish all this wasn't true, but it is. Hell, even the length alone REGARDLESS of what the music sounds like would stop most Opeth songs from being played on the radio. But I KNOW that if more people knew that bands like Opeth even existed, they would become fans. Thats what happened with BWP - it wasn't a sell out record in any way, in fact I would say it was less accessable to a new fan than Still Life was. As someone said, the thing that changed was the label and the distribution. More people found Opeth, and liked it, and told their friends about it.

Don't mistake growing popularity for becoming mainstream. Opeth deserves to be a poplular as they are - actually they deserve to be much more popular than they are.

Originally posted by Infinite Reach
Any music with death vocals will never be mainstream. Any music that is +10 minutes long will never be mainstream. Any music that is progressive has a fat chance in hell of being mainstream.

I wish all this wasn't true, but it is. Hell, even the length alone REGARDLESS of what the music sounds like would stop most Opeth songs from being played on the radio. But I KNOW that if more people knew that bands like Opeth even existed, they would become fans. Thats what happened with BWP - it wasn't a sell out record in any way, in fact I would say it was less accessable to a new fan than Still Life was. As someone said, the thing that changed was the label and the distribution. More people found Opeth, and liked it, and told their friends about it.

Don't mistake growing popularity for becoming mainstream. Opeth deserves to be a poplular as they are - actually they deserve to be much more popular than they are.

VERY well said. If I wasn't as incoherent as I have been lately, I would like'd to have said the same thing.

Blackwater Park overall seems heavier than all their previous albums (note: I said heavier, not better). I really don't see what part of the album indicates that it's going mainstream. Yes the overall structure is a little less complicated and the production is more streamlined but it is a far cry from being even remotely commercial or mainstream.

Come back when Opeth starts writing their name with a backwards "p" and Mikael starts rapping. Then we'll talk.

Originally posted by CAIRATH
Blackwater Park overall seems heavier than all their previous albums (note: I said heavier, not better). I really don't see what part of the album indicates that it's going mainstream. Yes the overall structure is a little less complicated and the production is more streamlined but it is a far cry from being even remotely commercial or mainstream.

Come back when Opeth starts writing their name with a backwards "p" and Mikael starts rapping. Then we'll talk.

havier than Orchid?! Havier than My Arms, Your Hearse??
ok, you're just stupid.

Opeth even made a radio friendly edit of Darpery Falls, how the fuck you call this? and this is the first time they do it, they didn't do it with their previous albums.

You can say the music is better (I'll disagree), You can see they are not a sell out (I'll disagree) but you can't say that the last too albums are not (much) more accessible than the previous cuz' it's a FACT, A FACTTTTTT.

The music is not challenging anymore...

cmon guys,,,, Didnt you watch TRL last night? didnt yuo vote 4 Blackwater Park? I did, and it got firstest plaec and mtv played all 12 mintues of it. awesum vido, almost as good as teh nwe linioln park one!!1

I don't see BWP being any more mainstream than the other albums. It's not mainstream at all. They're still progressive, still have long songs, still have deep death growls. How can that be considered mainstream?

I doubt they'll ever be too much bigger than they are. There are a lot of people - people who are into death and black metal - that can't appreciate Opeth because they're so progressive and unique. But, they have a large enough fanbase to keep making music and live comfortably off the money they make, I'm sure. I certainly don't want them to get huge. I was at a Dream Theater concert last night, and some things I saw really bugged me. People in Korn shirts, people with 99.1 WHFS shirts (to those not in this area, that's a local radio station that plays a bunch of shitty rock songs, like nu-metal, punk, ska, bands like Dashboard Confessional or something like that). They've gotten pretty big now and a lot of people start going to the shows that, while they say they like them, probably don't really appreciate the music as much as the rest of us.

Oh well, I know Opeth will never be that big, death metal never would. Maybe one of the songs off the soft album would get some radio play though, heh.

Well the new one they said has 5 songs and one short instrumental so they dont really have room for a "Harvest" I dont think. the average song length is gonna have to be like 12 minutes unless they make the album a lot shorter, which they might because they made 2 at once

Originally posted by IcemanJ256
Well the new one they said has 5 songs and one short instrumental so they dont really have room for a "Harvest" I dont think. the average song length is gonna have to be like 12 minutes unless they make the album a lot shorter, which they might because they made 2 at once

Åkerfeldt has said that both albums will be about 60 minutes long.

Originally posted by ControlledChaos
ive read akerfeldt saying "screw the fans" with some added profanity..I don't think theres any commercialization going on

I've also read that he doesn't like crowds. That may have something to do with it.