Opeth are getting famous

Some of the posts in this thread are fucking absurd. Opeth will never be popular as long as they remain on an indie label. Earn yourself some knowledge of the music industry before spouting out shit like that. Accessibility has NOTHING to do with popularity. They could start writing 3 minute acoustic pop songs and they'd still be just as obscure.

Yeah, look at all the shitty indie rock bands that no one knows about. You need a big label to advertise, to get you good worldwide and good distribution, to give you the money to make videos and that crap (the "Opeth making a video!?" discussion aside).

With bands like In Flames, it's more like they just aren't as creative now than some effort to sell more CDs. A number of songs stood out on the last two albums, but the rest seemed kind of like horrible filler and all sounded the same.

Ill still be happier than hell if they do "sell out" and release albums like SL and BWP except with all clean vocals. I think thats when theyll reach their peak :)

Akerfeldt said what about the fans? I dont think hes that stupid to bad mouth the ones who keep him employed. But I doubt hed say that cause he does post on these boards.

I don't think Mikael really gives a fuck about being employed by the music industry. According to his interviews, he still works in a record store from time to time, and he said himself he doesn't care if an album really sells or doesn't. I'm sure it would be painfull for him to release something that everyone hated, but at the end of the day, if your happy with it...thats enought. I think thats when you see real honesty in a piece of art. Something thats written with no preconcieved idea about what people like and dislike. Its just there. It just is.

To me, all this stuff about Opeth becoming mainstream is just elitist screed. Like many have said, they deserve everything they get. If Mikael wants to start writing , 3 minute radio-friendly pop songs and make a squillion dollars, power too him. And mind you, the only way he could go mainstream is by making his work more accessible. It would sting, only in that I'm not going to be able to hear any more of the Opeth that I love. But hey, at least I have 5 great albums and Mikael deserves all the bitches and money. He's probably earned it. The question is, does he really want it?

I hope the make it bigger than fuck. NO band puts as much work and time into 5 or 6 albums just so they can stay underground and still have to work other small jobs. They all would like to live off of what they do and thats cool so long as they stay tr00 to the music.

After you've been around for a while and put out high quality albums, chances are your fanbase is going to grow regardless of musical direction. I personally don't see how Blackwater Park is an attempt to go more mainstream, 4 of the songs are over 10 minutes long on the album, and it definitely isn't softer than any of their other albums. Just accept it, they're on a bigger label now, more people are going to hear them. And they deserve any and all recognition they get.

If your a true fan-(like most of us here) you'll accept whatever they do as the next logical step in their career. I for one cannot wait to hear what they have in store for us. If they get big- its because people are finally realizing that theyre fucking amazing- something WE knew all along. More power to them

I totally agree. No matter how famous they get, Opeth will still be Opeth, and as long as they love what they do, then I'm with them all the way.

Btw...this is my first post at this board.

Originally posted by kiwifury
Some of the posts in this thread are fucking absurd. Opeth will never be popular as long as they remain on an indie label. Earn yourself some knowledge of the music industry before spouting out shit like that. Accessibility has NOTHING to do with popularity. They could start writing 3 minute acoustic pop songs and they'd still be just as obscure.

Also very true.

I think that Opeth has the most gifted songwriting ever. All aspects of their music are beautiful, and that is going to get them noticed. I don't think they're going mainstream at all, I just think they're growing as musicians and people, and as that happens, their music is certainly not going to remain the same. I think the most important thing in any great musician is to be appaled by dormancy. That's why I love Opeth and not Amon Amarth (not saying they're a bad band, but every song on every album sounds exactly the same), because Opeth is constantly throwing curve-balls at the fans and keeping them guessing whats next. And honestly, everything Opeth touches turns to gold. They could play teeny bopper pop music and I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out amazing.

I understood what you said as meaning this: If Opeth becomes popular, they may sell-out and you don't want that to happen.

Fair point.

I hope they never sell-out. Look what happened to Metallica after their And Justice For All cd.

People...
Calm Down....

I have many things to say.
those of you who mentioned mtv in an Opeth board - SHAME ON YOU!

you have to understand, all of you, Opeth is strong. In Flames' fans would agree with me by saying this:
compare the album "The Jester Race" - which is truely wonderfull death, to the album: "Rerute to Remain" - their newest.
damnit.
In The Jester Race they sound amazingly good.
but in rerute to remain they sound like a fucking rock band being played on mtv...like papa roach or incubus or something...
that's just how they sound.
Now if you take Orchid/Morningrise and compare them to Blackwater Park, you'll see less difference for sure - (i can't say there is no difference because there is for sure.)
This shows in short that In Flames goes for the money and is a mentally weak band.
On the other hand, Opeth is mentally strong and does not go for the money but for the music.
I hope i didn't insult any "new" In Flames fans.
I, myself loved them but stopped when i listened to the latest album.
Opeth will be the same and endure forever and if they get famous it means their music is getting better.

You must respect that.

Originally posted by Devilish monster from the hill
(Blackwater Park) heavier than Orchid?! Heavier than My Arms, Your Hearse??
ok, you're just stupid.

Didn´t you listen to Leper Affinity, the funeral portrait or Blackwater Park, those songs are definately alot more brutal than anything on Orchid and they are surely just as heavy as Demon of the fall(or anything elso on MAYH).
Also the increased use of disonant riffs (like the first one in leper...) surely won´t grant them a spot on MTV!

And whats all the fuzz, Mikael said that Deliverance is the heaviest album he´s written so how is that selling out? And altough they are releasing a mellow album they won´t become popular cause it will be dark as hell and as far away from Nu-pop as possible. And who cares if it´s heavy or mellow, if it´s good music it´s good music. Don´t tell me you only listen to heavy music ALL THE TIME?

I don't think they did either. I read something saying how they wanted to give a lot to the fans since it's been so long since Clayman, so they put like 16 tracks on there. I wish they'd just left half of them off. I actually like the new-sounding ones a lot, but a bunch of them sound like rehashed songs from their last two.

a real "opeth man"
---can listen all albums one after the other nonstop...
this is also a test for people who say
"i liiiiike opethh reeeaaaaally..! "