Opeth are getting famous

Prophetix

Devon killed Buddy
Sep 4, 2001
Dawlat elBa7rain
www.opeth.com
And I really dont like it, I dunno why.. It does mean more album sales and support from the fans. But I dunno, it just sucks. I remember a time when Opeth were really underground and noone knew anything about them. I liked the underground Opeth. It seems that their getting more mainstream with every album. I feel its beginning to affect their musical integrity in some ways esp. with the BWP album (Which I really love) is a little mainstream friendly. Its really gonna be a shame if they end up like In Flames.
I still have my faith in them. It just worries me. :rolleyes:
Comments..?

If your a true fan-(like most of us here) you'll accept whatever they do as the next logical step in their career. I for one cannot wait to hear what they have in store for us. If they get big- its because people are finally realizing that theyre fucking amazing- something WE knew all along. More power to them! I hope they get as big as Led Zeppelin...

I don't get it.

A great band starts getting recognition, and all of a sudden they are writing music to pander to a wider audience?

"Blackwater Park" sold more than any other Opeth album for two reasons:

1) The band is well known now in the underground, so they are no longer trying to establish themselves.

2) Music For Nations gives much better distribution than any of their previous labels.

What the fuck about Blackwater Park sounds like they are selling out their integrity? The music is still heavy, melodic, and edgy.

If Opeth gets famous, it's because of the quality of their music, not because they dumbed it down. Akerfeldt has said repeatedly that they will never sacrifice the quality of their music for success. If their music makes them successful, then great, but they won't change it for that purpose.

You just strike me as one of those underground elitists that has to listen to the most underground stuff out there because it makes you feel more unique or something (fuck, here I am saying what people have told ME so many times, but it's TRUE in your case).

Popularity doesn't mean shit. Quality is the only thing you should listen for.

I dont care wheather a band is underground or not. I'm just saying popularity affects musicians. It happened to a lot of bands before. And I was just saying it might happen to Opeth

Oh yeah,
Originally posted by OneFootBlaster
If your a true fan-(like most of us here) you'll accept whatever they do as the next logical step in their career. I for one cannot wait to hear what they have in store for us. If they get big- its because people are finally realizing that theyre fucking amazing- something WE knew all along. More power to them! I hope they get as big as Led Zeppelin...
This is an example of a logical person giving out his views on what I said.

Originally posted by Smekermann
Comments? You want comments? Ok, here's a comment for you: you (and everyone else who thinks like you, for that matter) are an IDIOT. You should be required by law to wear this huge blinking neon sign above your head that says "FUCKING MORON", that's how fucking stupid you are. Christ. People like you make me violent.
This is an example of a dumb fuck who cant even start a decent discussion coz I dared say Opeth could write some of their music for the fans rather than themselves

Originally posted by OneFootBlaster
If your a true fan-(like most of us here) you'll accept whatever they do as the next logical step in their career.
this is an example for a blind fan.

and yes, Opeth are becoming more and more mainstream with every album, and yes the music changed, and there's no way back. I don't like it, and I've said it many times, I hate Blackwater Park because it dosen't even come close to their three first, and it's the album that made all the korn fans and every in flames/soilwork (and other pop bands) fans to like them...

there's nothing wrong with the fact that many people like them, but you can see it affects the music, and most of the times for the bad.

Good for them..I admit their later material is a little more accessible,but in no way mainstream..Opeth won't sell out..unless they start making four minute songs and completely changing their style..Until then,I will support them.

I don't think Opeth will become more commercialized then they already are. I don't really want them to, but shit happens I suppose.

Like Mike said before, he and O amke music for thier own sheer pleaseure. They don't care for how popular they get and such.

\m/

Mainstream?
I can really see Bleak being played on the radio :rolleyes:

And no it wasn't Blackwater Park that got me into them it was Morningrise so it doesn't make a difference which album you get first. ffs you complain when they don't get recognition and then complain when they begin to get "famous" because their music becomes "mainstream". Idiot.

The music is more structured and accessible now, but that's due to their growth as musicians, not the need to sell out. I admit, I got into Opeth through BWP, but who cares? I made my way back through the years and find Orchid and Morningrise to be amongst the best albums I have ever heard in my life... just because the music is more accessible (in no way mainstream) doesn't mean that it's been downgraded... quite the contrary.

I don't understand why ppl feel that Opeth shouldn't be more known. I wish I knew more ppl where I lived that even knew who Opeth is. Opeth opened my eyes and ears up to something that I had never heard. I am fucking thankful to Opeth and to my friend that played them for me because of Opeth and him I have now opened my eyes to a lot of different bands. I truely hope that more ppl get to listen and love Opeth as I do because they deserve it for all the hard work they do!

I agree with Silver, Opeth opened my eyes to all these wonderful bands around the world. If I never heard Opeth that one time about 3 and a half years ago, I would still probably be into all this Nu Metal poser shit.

Thank You Mike!!!

:headbang:

I totally agree with what you all said. I do like BWP though, its structured more maturely than the first two albums thats for sure. Musically its a great fucking masterpeice no doubt about that. BUT, Just to examplify.. Dont you think that Mikael wrote the songs Harvest and Blackwater Park a tinsy little bit for the fans? I mean, their nice songs but.. I just feel that way. BWP, the brutal album finisher and Harvest, the mellow song for the acoustic-Opeth fans

Originally posted by Silver Raven
I don't understand why ppl feel that Opeth shouldn't be more known. I wish I knew more ppl where I lived that even knew who Opeth is. Opeth opened my eyes and ears up to something that I had never heard. I am fucking thankful to Opeth and to my friend that played them for me because of Opeth and him I have now opened my eyes to a lot of different bands. I truely hope that more ppl get to listen and love Opeth as I do because they deserve it for all the hard work they do!

I agree with this view. Sometimes I hang my head in shame at the fact Opeth isn't mainstream. I don't mean mainstream as in gay, poppy music, but that they don't have the universal acclaim they deserve. Its cool being part of the underground cult of the Opeth fan, but sometimes its despairing to know so many people do not even know who they are. My friend hates Opeth, even tho he has only EVER heard 2 songs, Bleak and Harvest, he just hates them because I like them and hes being a dick. I had an argument with him over why Opeth were good. Eventually he said: 'they can't be good, no ones even heard of them and they've got 5 albums, they must suck'. He then proved his point by asking all the people in the room if they'd heard of Opeth (this was at a big party) and everyone said no.

His argument proves shit all...its just so frustrating that Opeth isn't the worlds biggest band, they certainly are the best. I would love to have some friends that were Opeth fans, not the metal hating drum n'bass fiends that consist my mates. If Opeth was hugely popular they could start a renaissance of new, intelligent metal...

Originally posted by Static
[
His argument proves shit all...its just so frustrating that Opeth isn't the worlds biggest band, they certainly are the best. I would love to have some friends that were Opeth fans, not the metal hating drum n'bass fiends that consist my mates. If Opeth was hugely popular they could start a renaissance of new, intelligent metal... [/B]

You speak such truth right there Static!!!!