Opeth @ Buffalo

TaurNuFuin

New Metal Member
Sep 11, 2008
Buffalo, NY
picasaweb.google.com
This is admittedly my first post on the forums and I have no idea how many people shall see this between now and tomorrow night, but who else is planning to be at tomorrow's show in Buffalo?

This shall be my first time seeing Opeth. After managing to miss them here twice in a row over the past five years. So I am more than a bit excited, to put it mildly.

Anyone familiar with the venue?

Seriously who feels like bragging about the show just a few hours after it ends? I think we are going to have to wait a little bit.

Oh holy crap was that an awesome show. It didn't actually get out until quarter to midnight - I think Opeth must have been on the stage for close to two hours, but I'm not quite sure, having not checked my watch when they come on... for obvious reasons.

Nachtmystium struck me as mediocre - sort of generic, not particularly original, but not bad either. High on Fire was a bit better. But both of the opening acts were inevitably disadvantaged by the fact that I was there for Opeth and had been waiting to see Opeth for two months or so. That and I suppose its nigh impossible for the opening acts to compare to a band thats been a part of your life for 6-7 years. But, that said, they did seem a bit out of place, in comparison to Opeth's music.

Setlist, as I remember it, consisted of:

Heir Apparent
Grand Conjuration
Serenity Painted Death (I believe I noted Mikael rolling his eyes during some of the lyrics)
Hope Leaves
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
The Night and the Silent Water
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls (encore)

So a very nice mixture of the albums. I would have liked to hear something from Orchid, and the song Blackwater Park would have been cool, but no big deal.

The entirety of today felt like being a kid on Christmas Eve again... just waiting for the damned moment to come. Nicely, the concert did not disappoint. All of the band performed very well and it seemed at all times that really did enjoy being on the stage. And I love Mikael's deadpan humor, so that was fun too. (And, come to think of it, I haven't been at many concerts were the band actually did a good job of fronting itself and chatting with the crowd between songs). Also, while I knew to expect this from seeing other setlists, it thrilling that Opeth doesn't opt to just play a majority of stuff from the latest album.

I was amused to hear someone shout out a request for "Into the Forest of Winter." I decided that I had to be that douche who calls out for "Blackrose Immortal." Entertainingly, I was quickly met by several shouts of "NO!" from various persons in the crowd.

On another note, I think this is the first venue I've been that actually considered pens to be contraband.

For anyone else who was there, I was the guy near the middle of the stage, second row or so of people, wearing a black Katatonia shirt and headbanging like mad.

nice to see that u enjoyed the concert :) I never really got into grand conjuration so thats the only thing that im kind of disapointed in the set but i mean it is what it is. Sounds like a great concert, im looking forward to the philly show.

Setlist, as I remember it, consisted of:

Heir Apparent
Grand Conjuration
Serenity Painted Death (I believe I noted Mikael rolling his eyes during some of the lyrics)
Hope Leaves
The Lotus Eater
Bleak

The Night and the Silent Water
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall
The Drapery Falls (encore)

Oh fuck, I better wear a pair of Depends in case I cream myself...:lol:

Hope Leaves :worship:

I haven't seen them play this since the Damnation Tour.
It's my favorite Damnation song !

I'm probably an old fart compared to most here. (I'm 38).

I took my innocent wife down to Buffalo (from Toronto area) to spend the day doing some shopping etc... then off to her first (and probably last) concert of this type.

I had recently seen Opeth in Toronto, and was blown away. I've only somewhat recently discovered them so this is really my first year of trying to find where they are playing and getting to their shows.

Nachtmystium - very tight band, but musically did nothing for me apart from the drummer who was very good.
High On Fire - Again, very tight, and a bit better.. but when you know what is coming next how is this somewhat generic metal supposed to compete? I like Matt Pike's stage presence, but he needs to put on a shirt and pull up his pants just a bit more... to hide his butt crack (yikes!).

My wife was thinking "what the hell am I doing here" after these first two acts.

Both opening acts seemed "out of place" like a previous poster said.

Opeth kicked some ass. You could tell there were some small gaffs in a couple of the tunes early on in the set, but they just move right on and blow you away anyway.

One thing that was really funny (to me) was that during the Lotus Eater, in the middle where it breaks into the "funk" part... people on the floor were still banging their heads like it was the heaviest shit they'd ever heard, and some were even moshing LOL.

Mike's crowd interaction and humour was good, as usual. When he first walked on stage, he opened with a very geeky, quick flash of the "sign of the horns" with his big, eyes-wide-open smile... showing that he is ready to have a good time and interact with the crowd. One chic kept yelling in a really high-pitched scream "I want your babies". Mike seemed to find that somewhat creepy but eventually came around and asked her "Do you have big tits" LOL.

Martin's regular bass went out of tune at one point and he was fiddling with it between songs, and they swapped in his 5-string while the tech worked on it. Could tell it wasn't what he would normally play on that song, since once the tech had it tuned, he quickly changed back to the 4-string during a break in the song. And, from where I was standing, (2nd level, off to the left of the stage in front of Frederick) I could see the tech holding the newly tuned 4-string at the side of the stage, dancing what can only be described as a "jig" while waiting to hand it to Martin. Martin caught a glimpse of that, had a big smile, and looked to me like he had to turn away to stop from laughing.

Great show. Getting to hear Hope Leaves and Deliverance were highlights for me.

haha glad to see u enjoyed the show and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! and yeah opeth is not a band that u want to see live with a woman lol...

Good to see hope leaves on the set

I echo the previous reviewers' comments on Nachtmystium and High on Fire. What their performance lacked, and this really comes to light in contrast to Opeth, is dynamics. I felt like my ears were going to start bleeding from listening to Nachtmystium's singer's shriek.

I definitely enjoyed Opeth's performance. I would have preferred a different track from Ghost Reveries than The Grand Conjuration but that tune does rock pretty hard live. Fredrik was really on point with his solos and backing vocals but came off a little sketchy on the opening/verse stuff on Hope Leaves.

In addition to Mikael's inquiry as to the bust size of the creepy "I want your babies" lady, he had some other hilarious quips including mentioning that Mendez got his hair cut so that he would resemble Bobby Ewing from Dallas and that Fredrik was the lead choreographer for Justin Timberlake's next tour.

All in all, a great night. Thanks to the guys for coming to Buffalo. It seemed like they had a good time and appreciated the crowds reactions and I hope they'll be back soon.

I'm going to see them in NYC tomorrow night. Can't wait. I saw them with Nevermore a few years ago. Great show.