Opeth - "Death metal sound is over"

I guess my biggest problem with the album is that I am a fan of clear riffs and melodies and it's hard to find them on this. It's "good" in the sense that everyone is playing their instruments well and Mikael sounds great, but I just don't care for the songwriting and the weird instruments.

The "beep-boop-beep-beep-boop, dee-deep-doop-widdly-boop-diddly-boop" kinda shit just does not appeal to me.

I don't miss or give a fuck about the loss of death metal vocals. I listen to plenty of death metal and I listen to plenty of clean vocal bands. But I do require music that I can get into for my own personal tastes and after listening to this one for a few weeks, it is not that album.

I guess I don't like "prog rock" or whatever.

I love the song Folklore, though...that's pretty much a great song. Sounds very similar to Gates of Babylon by rainbow or something at the end of it and I like that.

Anyway....I appreciate the experiment. But if this is the new direction of Opeth *for good*, I probably would just listen to all the great albums they have already made, no offense. Still respect their music, but this album isnt for me.

Well put, I agree.
Now I have to try and recover from the shock by the seriousness and length of that post, just never expected that browsing this forum. :eek:

I just Read Cadenz review on GD, he was more impressed than I thought.

i have tried to let the album grow on me and it's not happening, I feel the same as before. It's okay but I'd of much preferred a totally separate side project than this.

Heritage rates as a 6 or 6.5 maybe in my books, but I still respect Opeth taking a stance and doing the music they wanted to play even if it's not what I wanted to hear.