Opeth - "Death metal sound is over"

"driving a stylistic cleft between the more conservative and the more open-minded listeners."

"ok" :)

That assertion doesn't imply any quality values, and there's no denying that the conservative fans wanted things to stay the same (stylistically) and more open-minded ones didn't have a problem with Opeth going in a new direction (style). Whether they pulled it off is another thing entirely.

That assertion doesn't imply any quality values, and there's no denying that the conservative fans wanted things to stay the same (stylistically) and more open-minded ones didn't have a problem with Opeth going in a new direction (style). Whether they pulled it off is another thing entirely.

ah, i see :)

well, i'm all for progression, but i really think heritage sucks

how did you even get in here? :lol: you searching for anyone who posts your name in UM?

Yeah, how did you guess? I'm especially looking for posts by a blind dude who's been on the UM forums since - OH! Way back in 2008!! How is that even possible?!?! It's so amazing I haven't spotted you before!! Must be the post quality that makes my eyes go into ignore mode the second I spot your moniker.

I'm into my fifth listen of the whole album. I wasn't crazy about it at first...there were definitely a few stand out tracks...Famine and Folklore in particular...and there are definitely one or two I'm not crazy about still. Slither is entirely meh. I want to like Nepenthe but the contrast between the manic guitar and hushed vocal parts drives me crazy.

It's definitely a grower. I Feel The Dark is fucking superb.

It's not "open-mind" thing, but fanboy thing.
Even if Mike created a music from farting, toilet, singing of the birds with rap and dubstep elements it would be fantastic because 'OMG MIKE IS GENIOUS I WANT HIM TO HAVE MY KIDS ZOMGZOMGZOMGOMGJOPDAHOIASFSDFASFASDF"

From Rushonrock.com interview:

RushOnRock.com: Is it the end as far as OPETH and screaming and/or growling vocals are concerned?

Mikael: I can't say, really. I've never turned my back on anything and I'm not going to start now. It's not like I don't like that style of vocal delivery anymore. But I just can't develop any more as a singer if I keep on screaming. In fact, I think I got worse at that as the years went by. But if the future songs require those vocals, then that's what I'll deliver. It seems like a long shot at this stage.

^Yeah I wouldn't count on Opeth sticking to any one sound. We'll see. I actually really enjoy the new stuff, so I don't mind either way.

It's not "open-mind" thing, but fanboy thing.
Even if Mike created a music from farting, toilet, singing of the birds with rap and dubstep elements it would be fantastic because 'OMG MIKE IS GENIOUS I WANT HIM TO HAVE MY KIDS ZOMGZOMGZOMGOMGJOPDAHOIASFSDFASFASDF"

:zzz:

If you are a prog music fan then, even if at first you didn't like the album, there is a chance for it to grow on you, I'm not into prog so I still don't like the album, they did whatever they wanted to do with it and oh well, it's their band, life goes on... but damn it hurts the best death metal growler decided to give up on death growls. Hail Robban Karlsson tho :)