Opeth Discussion

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
Okay, basically there's a problem, namely that Opeth discussion keeps breaking out and fucking up several pages of threads. It's not just controversial opinions or the thread where you talk about music you like, it happens all over. So. What I propose is that Opeth discussion be limited to this thread and that any discussion of Opeth lasting for more than 3 posts in any other thread result in warnings and/or temp bans for all parties involved. Also, there isn't currently an Opeth thread and they're a very popular band, so that validates this thread's existence.

I'll start with a comment on Opeth. They're boring as fuck live and they never play their popular songs, which is just weird. I saw them on Prog nation and they bored the shit out of me. I could have seen them last night but I didn't; 2 of my friends went and reported on the setlist and I have to say, it's fucking weird how they don't play the songs people actually like.

Aside from that, the majority of their stuff is drifting, directionless riffing with shitty transitions and I can't tell half their songs apart.

Flame away, I won't be reading this thread, but KEEP OPETH DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD.

I love Opeth. I enjoy everything about them. They opened me up to a lot more music than I ever would have listened to. I can't name a single song of theirs I don't like. Call me a fanboy if you will, I dont really give a shit.

They definitely play popular songs live - I have no idea where you're getting the idea that they don't...

Also I had trouble getting into most of their stuff but as always, the solution is multiple listens. I mean, believe it not, sometimes you actually get music when you try harder than "*30 seconds go by and its not my new favorite* NEXT!"

The fact that their transitions have been weak on some albums though...well no one's going to deny that lol.

I've heard the majority of their albums multiple times and they got more boring and predictable with each listen. Coincidentally, I also found each subsequent album more boring and predictable than the last. I still enjoy the first two albums on occasion.

Depends what kind of metal you liked in the first place too...I was always into bands with long and meandering songs - you on the other hand...well i have no idea except that worthless discussion on how much Slayer > Metallica.

Also I had trouble getting into most of their stuff but as always, the solution is multiple listens. I mean, believe it not, sometimes you actually get music when you try harder than "*30 seconds go by and its not my new favorite* NEXT!"

yess!! this is how art should be enjoyed, I concur! :worship:

Way to NOT use the GMD Genre/Band Directory, waif!

...Well, I guess a thread titled "Calling all Opeth homos" isn't the optimal way of attracting discussion, but you could've at least tried bumping it. It's got far more pages to it than this thread will most likely reach.

My interest in them has also declined somewhat since I first started listening to them, but I still think all of their albums are good. The first two are definitely the best, though - the guitar tone is so much more meaningful, and there's a lot of subtlety there that's just lost in all the bombast of their 1998-and-onward formula.

I'm a big fan of their latest material, mainly Ghost Reveries and Watershed but I love all of them really

There is an entire forum for Opeth on UM, just sayin'. But I like the idea of having a thread on GMD, and I particularly like the temp-ban plan.

Anyway, I like Opeth for the most part, I'd go so far as to say they're among my favorite bands. Most of their albums are good to great but I personally find their first two and D/D to be the weakest

Big opeth fan myself. I appreciate their entire catalogue - they're a band whose albums can't really be compared to each other since their sound evolved quite a lot throughout their career (And will hopefully continue to do so).

People complain of formulaic songwriting, but having a song based on "heavy riff, clean riff, heavy riff" is no more formulaic than "heavy riff, heavy riff, heavy riff...". I can understand people's criticism however, they can be self indulgent. But I still find them to be one of the most emotional and interesting bands around, and Watershed proved they're not afraid to change things around at the risk of upsetting their faithful.

they're pretty much the worst songwriters ever (especially on the first couple of albums), though by no means the worst writers of individual passages. i mean there are a few absolutely HORRIFIC riffs as well, there's one in 'nectar' that always makes me laugh at how godawful it is, but there's also that fucking amazing riff a couple of mins into 'the leper affinity' that i will never ever get sick of. varies, wildly.

i also hate that so many of their melodies feel really smug and showy (especially after the first three albums) with no actual emotional content.

i don't think you can be an experienced listener of music and not think that opeth are retarded. that's not to say that they aren't enjoyable in parts, just that their compositions are monumentally idiotic.

so i got promoted today so i was p happy then i went for some lunch and the food was real tasty, then i was feelin like a ghost pissed at my widow & feelin a bit demonic

I love Opeth. I enjoy everything about them. They opened me up to a lot more music than I ever would have listened to. I can't name a single song of theirs I don't like. Call me a fanboy if you will, I dont really give a shit.

This. Opeth were the band that got me into harsh vocals and opened the gates to at least half of the bands I listen to today.

Don't like Opeth that much anymore, they were just a bit dull the last time I saw them. They work better on record than on stage. They're nice guys in person though, and their older albums still have some great moments.