Opeth Discussion

they're pretty much the worst songwriters ever (especially on the first couple of albums), though by no means the worst writers of individual passages. i mean there are a few absolutely HORRIFIC riffs as well, there's one in 'nectar' that always makes me laugh at how godawful it is, but there's also that fucking amazing riff a couple of mins into 'the leper affinity' that i will never ever get sick of. varies, wildly.

i also hate that so many of their melodies feel really smug and showy (especially after the first three albums) with no actual emotional content.

i don't think you can be an experienced listener of music and not think that opeth are retarded. that's not to say that they aren't enjoyable in parts, just that their compositions are monumentally idiotic.
This has got to be one of the most idiotic statments I've read. How do you say they are the worst song writers in one sentence and then turn around and praise them for having an occasional "amazing" riff? It shows your level of callowness by using words like retarded to access someones level of musical comprehension. So their music is "monumentally idiotic" but they're enjoyable in parts? Are you really thinking about what you type before you type it? Also,as far as them not playing a set list that people want to hear,thats absurd every time I hear them live they cover different songs I've never heard them play before. I saw them with Enslaved the other day and I didn't hear one complaint. They always have a good set list unlike some bands that will only play the most popular songs you've heard over and over.

songwriting is about, well, songs, not riffs

they played a good setlist both times i saw them btw, cept i recall they played mooncrapse vertigo

they played a good setlist both times i saw them btw, cept i recall they played mooncrapse vertigo
How do you not like Moonlapse Vertigo it's a great song. I remember reading an interview with Mikael and he stated that they never play that song live because the guitar parts are heavily layered and it does not come off well live. You sure they played it?

Don't read much?
Well,I see there seems to be an unwarrented distaste for Opeth from some of the members here which is a first on any metal forums I've been on. I would expect the usual hate for deathcore bands and all that shit but this is the first I've seen this much disrespect for an obviously accomplished band.

Well,I see there seems to be an unwarrented distaste for Opeth from some of the members here which is a first on any metal forums I've been on. I would expect the usual hate for deathcore bands and all that shit but this is the first I've seen this much disrespect for an obviously accomplished band.
Welcome to the online world of metal.

People don't have to like bands just because they are "accomplished". Get it into your fucking head.

I've never given this band a fair listen yet. I start to listen to one of their albums and just get sidetracked.

I love the ending of When. Its one of those goosebump moments for me every time. Same with the second half of Face of Melinda.

Opeth's music has layers, and you can't unravel it all in one or two listens. Just like most progressive music it takes time.

Credence and To bid you farewell are obviously their best songs.

Opeth's music has layers, and you can't unravel it all in one or two listens. Just like most progressive music it takes time.

This is always what I hear from Opeth fans as I'm basically being told that I haven't tried enough because it's obviously impossible to dislike a band that reached levels of genius previously unknown to mankind. It's obvious that I just don't know anything about the way to listen to music if I can't fully appreciate the greatness of Opeth...

Unfortunately a lot of Opeth fans come across as fanboyic twat faeces... Like I said, I'm a big fan, but you guys aren't doing the band any favours by being so reactionary just because people are disagreeing with you. As much as you might think they rock, Opeth aren't going to suit everyone. Mike and the band have pretty thick skins so I wouldn't worry about defending them...

Credence and To bid you farewell are obviously their best songs.

When I do listen to them, I'm a Demon of the Fall and Serenity Painted Death sort of guy.

Edit: and this may seem kinda dumb... but if their songs were shorter, I probably wouldnt get bored with them as fast as I do.

Yeah. I feel like they're kind of trying the same thing over and over with a lot of their songs. Nothing wrong with that (arguably that's what most artists do), but I wouldn't make fun of someone for not liking it. I definately don't think that they're the "worst songwriters ever"- Dream Theater, for example, are significantly worse at that (although I love them, too).

IMO they're a good band whose greatest crime is being kind of boring at times. I think most bands are 90% boring songs, anyway, so that doesn't really bother me.