Opeth Discussion

Frankly i think Heritage is just simply bad. I like "The Devil's Orchard" and "Slither", not much else. It's a unique album, but half-assed.

I haven't done an opeth album ranking list for a while. Need to bring it back now that the Opeth forum's gone, haha.

1) Blackwater Park
2) Still Life
3) Morningrise
4) Orchid
5) Damnation
6) Watershed (tied with GR)
6) Ghost Reveries (tied with WS)
8) My Arms, Your Hearse
9) Heritage
10) Deliverance (although the title track is one of their best)

I'd figure I'd transfer this over and give my own opinion- their rankings along their overall ratings on a scale of 1-10.

1) Morningrise (10)
2) Still Life (10)
3) My Arms, Your Hearse (10)
4) Orchid (9.5)
5) Blackwater Park (9)
6) Ghost Reveries (8.5)
7) Damnation (8.5)
8) Deliverance (7)
9) Watershead (6)
10) Heritage (4.5)

1. MAYH (10/10)
2. Still Life (10/10)
3. Ghost Reveries (9/10)
4. Morningrise (8/10)
5. Blackwater Park (7/10)
6. Orchid (7/10)
7. Deliverance (7/10)
8. Damnation (7/10)
9. Watershed (6/10)
10. Heritage (4/10)

i'm gonna see them tomorrow, along with Pain of Salvation

pics

Pain of Salvation... they were very good i liked them a lot
25112011279.jpg

Mike got a haircut
25112011282.jpg

i and some other dudes were screaming Ghost of Perditioooon and Demon of the Faaaallll but...
25112011283.jpg

...not a single growl was heard :(
25112011285.jpg

still an enjoyable show though, they pull off the atmospheric thing quite well

I've seen them twice and they bored the fuck out of me, 2nd time they were absolutely blown away by Cynic before they even came on. Bad choice having them open for you...and the setlists were almost identical despite the shows being a good 8 months apart. I still think their first 3 albums (and bits of later ones) are amazing

I don't think it's a bad record, it's just not as good as the other ones. Easily their weakest album to date. Why? They changed their sound too much if you compare to Watershed. Too big change, too rapidly. The thing I love about Opeth is the great mix between the prog stuff and the extreme metal stuff. Mikael has a beautiful voice and a killer growl and now they've taken away half of the stuff that I love about them.

I will certainly continue to listen to it, but not as frequent as Deliverance, Still Life and Ghost Reveries (and of course, the other ones are also fucking great!)

I don't think it's a bad record, it's just not as good as the other ones. Easily their weakest album to date. Why? They changed their sound too much if you compare to Watershed. Too big change, too rapidly. The thing I love about Opeth is the great mix between the prog stuff and the extreme metal stuff. Mikael has a beautiful voice and a killer growl and now they've taken away half of the stuff that I love about them.

I will certainly continue to listen to it, but not as frequent as Deliverance, Still Life and Ghost Reveries (and of course, the other ones are also fucking great!)
Exactly.

My favorite album is MAYH btw :)

Ghost Reveries & Watershed are the worst. They seemed to be trying too hard on these records. While Heritage certainly isn't their best it's a significant improvement on the two before it.

Watershed bored the life out of me, I basically gave up following them after that. Couldn't believe how hyped it was by all the predictable sites and magazines. One of the last times I went out and bought a new album by a band basically the week it came out(same for the last Katatonia album, better because its Katatonia, but still weak). I heard the new Opeth and it did sound better, maybe because now they've completely dropped the worn out metal angle, I still didn't care enough to buy the album though. Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH and bits of D/D are all I need.

There's no way Ghost Reveries is one of the worst. Heritage is just poop to me, but I like 70s prog rock... and i just cant help feeling like it's a bad version of that.

I've actually started listening to opeth more of recent date, mostly the first three (and mostly Orchid here) and Ghost Reveries... I was thinking about picking up Still Life and/or Deliverance though. Thoughts?

Still Life is much better than Deliverance. It's a lot like MAYH except a little more focused. Imo it blends the acoustic interludes and the riff driven heavy parts with a bit more ease. Deliverance is Opeth's heaviest release, but is rather boring even by Opeth standards.

There's no way Ghost Reveries is one of the worst. Heritage is just poop to me, but I like 70s prog rock... and i just cant help feeling like it's a bad version of that.

I've actually started listening to opeth more of recent date, mostly the first three (and mostly Orchid here) and Ghost Reveries... I was thinking about picking up Still Life and/or Deliverance though. Thoughts?

Yeah I agree Heritage is a weaker version of 70's prog. I find the performance very uninspired.

Still Life is a great album. Similar in style to the first 3, but with more jazzy moments and somewhat more song structure. Like MAYH it is a concept album. Pretty much every track is great, but the opener is probably my favorite Opeth song.

Deliverance is OK, but is a major step down from the first five albums. It sort of drags at time and the riffs aren't as good.