Opeth Discussion

Opeth (still life particularly) were the band that let me get into extreme vocals and metal too. However, they remain one of my favourite bands. I've always been touched by the melancholy in their songs, and their variety. I accept their shortcomings; they are occasionally indulgent, and some of the songwriting and structuring on the first 3 albums was sub par.

I think they've progressed well though. Each album has quite a different sound, and I find them no more "repetitive" than other bands are when so far into their careers.

Most opeth fans on this site are fucking tools and do the band no good. Its a shame.

I saw Opeth for the first time in 2003 at Download Festuval and they were 2nd on the bill after Dillenger Escape Plan. They are still to this day the only band that grabbed me and shook me to my core when I saw them live and made me want to buy everything they did. The musicianship is second to none and so is the songwriting IMO.

Blackwater park is an amazing record and the new 5.1 mixes are pretty cool though I feel Still Life for that is my favorite. I think I actually prefer that to the Stereo version.

Martin Lopez is an amazing drummer and so is AXE although I dont think he has the same feel. To me Axe he's a bit more heavy on the drums and solid whereas Lopez has more feeling and movement.

Anyway thats my 2p. They are one of my favorite bands on record and live. They sure take some beating.

:headbang:

I had Metallica and a couple of other metal bands on my Ipod before, but for me Opeth were THE band that got me into the more extreme realms of metal, more specifically The Moor. Haven't got a weak album IMO, excellent song writers.

However, I don't think there is a trio of albums that are better overall than My Arms, The Moor and Blackwater Park. Their music is jaw droppingly brilliant.

Blackwater Park is my favourite metal album to this day.

Reactions: Skeptic Monkey
Opeth are fucking awsome.

Favourite Opeth album?

blackwater park

Favourite Opeth song?

bleak

They are definitely talented and have some of the best transitions in the business. I do think they also get slightly more credit than other bands that are equally worthy but all bands will pay their dues struggling to the top.

My favourite band of all time (perhaps along with Edge of Sanity and Agalloch). Favourite release is Morningrise.

Couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me for that.

Off the God of War Blood & Metal EP...the acoustic solo at the end of the song is fucking badass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bringin this shit back tbh.

Watershed continues to grow on me. I still feel that most of the material probably isn't ever going to 'grab' me, but i keep noticing things here and there that just kick ass and embody everything good that Opeth could ever hope to be.

The best song by far is Burden. Nice subtle hints of King Crimson, and just fucking great songwriting overall. The way they end it with the lone acoustic guitar slowly getting detuned, then finally interrupted by a sinister laugh, is just epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Opeth - Watershed, don't know for you guys but I'm in love with this album.

I'm a huge fan of Opeth but I find this album to be one of the best, I just love how there are harsh and brutal songs combines with melody and mellow songs the overall album is great, but i find it extremely hard to fall in love with Heritage it is really different from anything they've done, still hoping that it will grow on me