Opeth Discussion

I think you need to stop being dumb. I'm trying to be accepting and give them a chance and you're being overly hostile. It's things like this that cause people to ignore what you have to say.

okay, what bands do you currently listen to?

Please elaborate on songs "don't go anywhere"?

Maybe you need a website to give you their lyrics, so you can follow along?

The Album Still Life is a story based on a guy who gets banished from his city, because he doesn't share the same religious beliefs. The album starts off when he is returning to the city to find his long lost girlfriend.

In the album My Arms Your Hearse . The last lyric(s) of the song is/are the next songs , song title.

You can follow that?

The problem with them is, and why most people don't like them is...
Their songs are too powerful and have too much meaning. They also change your emotions while you listen to them.

Yes, that's exactly the reason why!!! :rolleyes:

I know that in your 14 years of life nothing moved you as much as opeth but someday when you mature (maybe?) and stop being a self centered moron (maybe?) you might be able to understand that it's possible for people to have differences of opinion regarding the quality of something as subjective as music.

Until then, please shut up.

peenwhistle's lengthy post about the "ignorant people" who don't like Opeth has to be the worst post I've read in this forum..EVER

You don't have to be high. You just have to be able to endure disjointed music (think of some of the randomness on Katatonia's doom era). Based on your favorite bands, it's not hard to see why you wouldn't like them, as they aren't really for people that just like basic yet well-done songs; if you're listening to them and all you can think about is the songwriting and the awkwardness of some of the transitions, you probably won't like them. If you listen to each part individually and fall in love with some of the epic melodies and acoustic bits, you should enjoy unless you find it "gay."

They're also not really a metalhead's band, as they aren't slow enough to be doom or fast/dark enough to be melodic death, and most of their influences aren't even metal (Camel ftw). Their solos aren't the wankery of power/prog metal or the dissonant material of death metal but are rather closer to some prog solos with a metal tone.

I see the weaknesses in their songwriting and still love 'em though I wouldn't as much if they weren't my main gateway band. I don't mind people not liking them, but I think it's hilarious that half of the people on this forum pass you off as a metal noob/faggot if you like them. The notion that one band defines one's tastes is simply retarded and laughable.

Disagree with Lateralus.

You don't have to like "disjointed" music to like Opeth.

Opeth actually does have enough Metal elements on most of their albums, to satisfy metalheads.

Opeth is not a "gateway band" by any means.