OPETH FORUM DEATHWATCH

The Poona of Peshwa

Blood Glutton
Jan 28, 2004
Saskatchewan
Discussion of leaks is unstoppable, and the Opeth forum is becoming something of a blight on the band's name. If history is any indication it seems like it's a matter of time before the board is taken down.

In the past the decision to cut the Opeth off-topic board, in (2003, I think) led to a large out-migration of UM regulars. The subsequent closing of the board because of the leak of Ghost Reveries also led to the establishment of a new Opethforum, which has evolved into another board you may be familiar with. I think that whatever would result from yet another shut-down of the board would be unsalvageable.

Discussing the leaks on a board that the band pays for is unacceptable, and I think the board should be closed, but when it returns I think that the off-topic board should be brought back. Rigid Opeth-only based discussion does not lead to the sort of community that makes a board of this size fun to read. Not sure if this sort of meta-discussion is appropriate, but whatever.

I don't know. I don't think you should encourage anyone to close any forum. They can decide for themselves. It's true though. A blatant discussion of leaked material is too much. Still, the Leak discussion thread is a good thread in my opinion. It only discusses leaks in an objective manner, and not Opeth leaks.

The last time people got beaten with the ban stick en masse, some of the best (albeit controversial) members never came back. I'm not in favor of that kind of event happening again. RIP rare prog thread contributors, etc.

You guys should stop running back and forth like martyrs and roman warriors about this. They're only talking about them to be dicks because they know it gets on your nerves and will lead to the forum being shut down. You're basically playing right into their hands.

I would say that the majority of people who are discussing the leak are newbs who honestly don't know better. The average person on the board nowadays has under 150 posts.

^ Hah, nice logic there. I've only got 145 posts or so, but I've been here little less than you. Basically I don't post much because the environment is not so conductive of discussion. Even so, date of register is totally independent of maturity, don't you think?

I agree, I should have just said that there are a lot of "2008s" around. And the point I was trying to make is that this board is shyte because two past closings have chased people away, and it's going to happen again.

I agree, I should have just said that there are a lot of "2008s" around. And the point I was trying to make is that this board is shyte because two past closings have chased people away, and it's going to happen again.

No. The board is shite because its full of idiots. This board isn't exactly held in high esteem in some quarters.

I kinda agree. This forum can get boring.

Look at the Megadeth forums. They have the largest metal forum on the web, and like half the people there don't even like Megadeth. The forum is as popular as it is because it has an awesome Off-Topic board.

These steps might help. I don't know shit, this is just my opinion.

1. Do not allow (if there's a preferential admin setting) new users to post on this board. "New" is defined as all members whose accounts were created April 30th or later. This is in effect until the album is released.
2. Sticky the "Banned" thread.
3. Perm. ban those who link to leaks
4. Temp. ban those who admit or allude to having the files of the new album.
5. Mr Samsara appoints some sort of under-mod, who can hide offending topics/posts, to reduce pressure on Samsara to repress leak discussion.
6. Add an off-topic board.
???
7. PROFIT!

One thing i agree with is the fact that this forum has sadly taken a drop in the 'Quality' of threads. It may sound silly but alot of noobs make these wanky pointless threads about complete bullshit and usually accompanied by a personal attack on some sorry sole because they dont have the same opinion. Im far from an elitist but as Doc Brown said in Back to the future....'Somethings got to be done about the kids'

1. Do not allow (if there's a preferential admin setting) new users to post on this board. "New" is defined as all members whose accounts were created April 30th or later. This is in effect until the album is released.

What if they want to post about something that isn't about the new album and is a topic completely absent on this board?

Tbh, I've only started posting so much recently because I have less things that I'm doing but also have fuckloads to do and prefer to procrastinate as well as indulge in (the topic of) Opeth. But i've been a good girl.

^ n00bs not using the search function is the bane of every veteran forum posters' existences everywhere.

I generally forgive them, point them in the right direction (including perhaps a link from the "very easy to find" other thread), and hope that acting kindly will help them learn and react in a civil way. "Fuck off, n00b!" tends to get people defensive. Weren't we all n00bs who didn't know the ropes at some point? Wouldn't you have appreciated a few kind words?

Whether or not people here are new has little bearing on the quality of the threads on the forum. If you think a thread is worthless, let it die. Revive good threads. Start a good thread of your own. Be positive. Is this so hard?

meh... This is the only forum Ive ever been on thats so picky about new threads. There will always be new people pulling up a "What is your favorite Opeth album" thread. Relax its not the end of the world. Besides it would be a nice break from the "stop talking about the leak threads" :rolleyes:

There are only so many things we can talk about for any band.

^ n00bs not using the search function is the bane of every veteran forum posters' existences everywhere.

I generally forgive them, point them in the right direction (including perhaps a link from the "very easy to find" other thread), and hope that acting kindly will help them learn and react in a civil way. "Fuck off, n00b!" tends to get people defensive. Weren't we all n00bs who didn't know the ropes at some point? Wouldn't you have appreciated a few kind words?

Whether or not people here are new has little bearing on the quality of the threads on the forum. If you think a thread is worthless, let it die. Revive good threads. Start a good thread of your own. Be positive. Is this so hard?

Agreed! A friendly word, some advice and hopefully this forum will have inspired and interesting threads, debates if not for a better word, ones that excite the reader about the opeth, other bands, and even other types of music. I feel more positive already :)