opeth has signed with roadrunner now!

Besides, RoadRunner won't have an impact on the sound of the CD.. just maybe the packaging. I'm hoping for someone like the Orchid album cover again -- just because of it's simplicity.

A lot of over reactions going on here. No one has heard the new album and everyone still seems to be passing judgement on what little information we have.

And let's not forget that Opeth did some of their fist live performances with Cradle of Filth who are now roadrunner (and put out their best album in a while IMO) and Deliverance had keys aswell (The Pain i see in Others, a fair judgement).

Can't wait till the album is released, it's about time we had some new Opeth.

JoeVice said:
its really funny...some of you will probably not like the record as much as previous ones, but at least you will be able to blame it on roadrunner.

I was thinking this earlier...all the people who'll say, "Yeah, Opeth used to be good...their pre-Roadrunner stuff is better."

Yeah, I'm disappointed in their signing with Roadrunner, but not because I think Opeth will cave in to pressure and make a shitty record, but simply because RR doesn't deserve them. They've proved themselves to have no integrity whatsover - just go to that Blabbermouth article and read the comments, especially the one quoting Chuck from Death's prophecy about Roadrunner. Oh well. Good for Opeth, I hope the advantages of a bigger label allow them to do some great stuff. But Roadrunner can put my balls in their mouth.

Wohooooo :loco:
New album soon,and a gig in Norway sept 19. :headbang:
As long as Roadrunner lets Opeth decide the artistic side of things and get the album out EVERYWHERE on time i dont really care.

we could look at it this way...instead of roadrunner records being a disease for opeth, opeth could be a cure for the disease that is roadrunner...even though i don't really see what the big problem is with roadrunner in the first place, its just different music.

oh wait, its not underground....noooooo!!!!! opeth isn't the same band anymore. one of the reasons i liked them is because they were sooooo underground!!!!

opeth...mainst.....ahhhh...noooo!!!!! help!!!!

all of you fags are acting like a chinese fire drill.

they signed to a label with money and secured status in metal for touring capabilities.

they added a keyboard player to thicken the sound, and break new ground.

the song titles sound fine, and no less promising than previous favorites by all of you such as "white cluster", and "nectar".

other than that, stop being retarded...theres absolutely no reason for any of this paranoia.

if you cant hack it, then go listen to woods of ypres and play with yourself

"Musically, 'Damnation' was an experiment for us," Åkerfeldt told MTV.com. "It also helped us to develop our sound. So this time around, you can say the overall record is going to be heavy-sounding. There's also a couple of songs that are more in the style of 'Damnation', so to speak. We also have a new member in the band, our keyboard player, Per Wiberg. So we have some vintage keyboards this time around on the heavy material as well. Overall, this one is heavy."

In Lamentations Mike said the new album would border on black metal. Then it was said later that the new album would be a black metal opus of two tracks. Now he doesn't even mention black metal, just says it will be "heavy" (which could mean anything).

"We've never done anything like [a festival tour] before, but this is a new thing, so we're excited," he said. "It's a good chance to reach out to people who've never heard from us. I'm also looking forward to seeing STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and CLUTCH perform. Many of the bands on the tour I've never heard of."

Opeth is in for one hell-of-a surprise... Why wouldn't they listen to the other bands before deciding to tour? That is just plain stupid.

NineFeetUnderground said:
all of you fags are acting like a chinese fire drill.

they signed to a label with money and secured status in metal for touring capabilities.

they added a keyboard player to thicken the sound, and break new ground.

the song titles sound fine, and no less promising than previous favorites by all of you such as "white cluster", and "nectar".

other than that, stop being retarded...theres absolutely no reason for any of this paranoia.

if you cant hack it, then go listen to woods of ypres and play with yourself
Good points.Theres no rule that states we must buy the other RR releases if we buy Opeth.
I just wanna skip the stinking summer and fast forward to August/September :D

Rekkr said:
In Lamentations Mike said the new album would border on black metal. Then it was said later that the new album would be a black metal opus of two tracks. Now he doesn't even mention black metal, just says it will be "heavy" (which could mean anything).

Opeth is in for one hell-of-a surprise... Why wouldn't they listen to the other bands before deciding to tour? That is just plain stupid.
1.It never crossed your mind that he was kidding?
2.They`re on the tour to reach new ppl,not to be spectators while the other bands play.
Cheezuz...

Mikael just had ideas...he didn't say that the new album was going to officially have a black metal sound. He was just brainstorming...so there's nothing wrong with that. As far as the songtitles go...it sounds like a concept album maybe. Regardless, the songtitles are at least different than the previous albums and that's a good sign because it's DIFFERENT...Opeth needs to progress. We can't have songtitles like "My demolished landturn during the storming winter" or "The bereavement of my fallen oak tree."

Opeth never really seems to give a damn who they are touring with (i.e.- Devildriver!? Paradise Lost!? Tapping The Vein!?!?!?), and i like it that way. the one exception was porcupine tree, and mikael seems to be going out of his way to mjake it pretty clear that the 'damnation' tour was something unique that won't be done again. it's that total indifference to the music scene Mikael and Co. seem to have that lets me be confident that they aren't going to let Roadrunner railroad them into making watered-down metalcore shit.

hopefully this means that we can count on a nice long tour in support of the new album late this fall.

i think 'baying of the hounds' is a swank title for a track, and it sounds fairly black metal-ish as well.

i don't foresee it happening, but a large part of me really wants the new Opeth album to be absolutely BRUTAL, almost to a Dissection/Darkthrone extent but with the signature Opeth sound, just to really stick it to everyone, turning off the mainstream and rebuking the 'underground' doubters all at once.

ghost of tradition and isolation years are good songtitles imo. baying... is rather _strange_. but anyways everytime i read songtitles of unreleased albums they changed till the final release...

I'm looking foreward to the new release, and I have no doubt in my mind that it will kick serious ass. Mikael may be a lot of things, but as far as I know he's not a dumbass, and I'm sure he knows what he's doing and has gone over all the pros and cons before signing.

I'm excited about the new album. As some people've pointed out before, the song titles seem to indicate there's some new Opeth coming, together with the addition of Per... Those who expect another Orchid, Morningrise, MAYH, SL, BP, D1 and D2 will surely be disappointed, as it seems.

I could care less what label they're on as long as they make an album that they're happy with. And according to Mike on the Porcupine Tree tour, "the next record...will be the most Bruuutal thing you have EVER heard."

Sanzen said:
I was thinking this earlier...all the people who'll say, "Yeah, Opeth used to be good...their pre-Roadrunner stuff is better."

Yeah, I'm disappointed in their signing with Roadrunner, but not because I think Opeth will cave in to pressure and make a shitty record, but simply because RR doesn't deserve them. They've proved themselves to have no integrity whatsover - just go to that Blabbermouth article and read the comments, especially the one quoting Chuck from Death's prophecy about Roadrunner. Oh well. Good for Opeth, I hope the advantages of a bigger label allow them to do some great stuff. But Roadrunner can put my balls in their mouth.
Yeh, I agree with this post. However, i just care about Opeth's music, the music first and foremost.
Reord labels are the biggest weasels and trendwhores out there, and we all know it. It's about $ to the labels, (that's why Roadrunner went nu metal/core and dropped some of the best extreme metal bands ever) but for us fans it's about the music.
I don't think Opeth will change thier musical approach, and maybe people are accepting them now.
I don't know what to say, perhaps Opeth are accesible enough to be signed to Roadrunner wich in itself doesn't make them a run of the mill nu metal band.

JoeVice said:
...even though i don't really see what the big problem is with roadrunner in the first place, its just different music.

oh wait, its not underground....noooooo!!!!! opeth isn't the same band anymore. one of the reasons i liked them is because they were sooooo underground!!!!

opeth...mainst.....ahhhh...noooo!!!!! help!!!!

Some may be afraid of Opeth becoming mainstream and they hate roadrunner for that. I hate roadrunner also but I don't care about Opeth becoming more widely known, in fact, I'd be happier for Opeth if they became more popular, they certainly worked hard enough to reach the point they are at.
Anyway, People aren't afraid of Roadrunner making Opeth mainstream, they are afraid of sleezy money grubbing whores changing Opeth's "style" if you will, so they can milk every last bit of cash out of them as they possibly can. I read not to long ago on this board that two members quick a band, I believe it was Three Inches of Blood, because Roadrunner was trying to change the way they looked. Now that's just pathetic on Roadrunner's part. I just hope that Opeth realize when Roadrunner is just pushing them around to make money.
I've also heard stories about Deicide purposely making 2 horrible albums in one year just so Roadrunner would kick them off the label. If Deicide were that desperate to leave Roadrunner then you really have to wonder.