Opeth in school....

I always wear all black. I listen to Opeth. But I still make fun of goths because it's so easy.

Originally posted by Adelarma

I'm in college and ppl are still just as judgemental as high school the main diff is the cliques are bigger and called Fraternities/Sororities.
I hear all kinds of comments behind my back. I just feel bad for these poor ppl that feel the need to make fun of others to make themselves feel better. And not only that but by making fun of something like an Opeth shirt or anything else they don't understand they're just proving how incredibly narrow-minded they are, which in the long run will only harm themselves bcs they'll eventually (at least I hope so) realize all the people and experiences that they have missed out by being so close-minded...they deserve whatever pain that realization causes them.

That sucks man. Where I go to college most of the people that I have had contact with are very open minded about things. I talk to all kinds of people. Maye it is just where I live, people here are pretty nice generally, or maybe I just talk to all the right people. I dunno. I don't really dress "metal", whatever that is supposed to mean, so people are usually pretty surprised when I tell them my music preferences. I've met some really cool people in college. Sounds like you have just run into the morans at your school and that is sad there are people like that. Keep looking man, the cool people are out there.

I love listeneing to Swedish Death metal, especially Opeth which is my favourite band of all there is. Anyway, I remember finding one of Opeth's albums (Morningrise, to be exact) at a store not far from where i live, and i put it in my discman and i havnen't had a clue to what this band sounds like, i just got this cd cuz i was tired of all this usually music like metallica, pantera, manson, tool, etc.. so it was an october night in 2000, that i was walking and listening to Opeth's Morningrise. at first i didn't understand wat i just listened to because the songs are really long and have lots of time changes in them not to mention styles as well. after a good 10 reruns of the cd, i started liking the band, and when i took it to school to listen to, i said to myself (while looking at the "rocker" around me, "wow, this is what i was missing all my life, and these people have no clue that such music exists" it was awsome though, sitting there in the corner where no one could see you and smoking pot. This band has a really unique style compared to most melodic death metal bands. And Morningrise still stays as my favourite Opeth album. Blackwater park was cool, but not my favourite, i mean every one of their albums was awsome, and everyone who likes this band wouldn't despise any of their albums since they're all so good, that it's hard to judge them usually.

-When can i take you from this place?
When is the word but a sight?
When is death our lone beholder?
When do we walk the final steps?- Opeth - WHEN

I love listeneing to Swedish Death metal, especially Opeth which is my favourite band of all there is. Anyway, I remember finding one of Opeth's albums (Morningrise, to be exact) at a store not far from where i live, and i put it in my discman and i havnen't had a clue to what this band sounds like, i just got this cd cuz i was tired of all this usually music like metallica, pantera, manson, tool, etc.. so it was an october night in 2000, that i was walking and listening to Opeth's Morningrise. at first i didn't understand wat i just listened to because the songs are really long and have lots of time changes in them not to mention styles as well. after a good 10 reruns of the cd, i started liking the band, and when i took it to school to listen to, i said to myself (while looking at the "rocker" around me, "wow, this is what i was missing all my life, and these people have no clue that such music exists" it was awsome though, sitting there in the corner where no one could see you and smoking pot. This band has a really unique style compared to most melodic death metal bands. And Morningrise still stays as my favourite Opeth album. Blackwater park was cool, but not my favourite, i mean every one of their albums was awsome, and everyone who likes this band wouldn't despise any of their albums since they're all so good, that it's hard to judge them usually.

-When can i take you from this place?
When is the word but a sight?
When is death our lone beholder?
When do we walk the final steps?- Opeth - WHEN

Interesting to read some of these posts. I felt like some huge hole had been filled in my life when I began to realise how great Opeth's music was. The first time I heard it I probably wasn't really taking much notice, it was just a CD borrowed from a friend. But Opeth's albums have a way of getting better and better after each repeat listen. You can pick out all the intricacies of the music, and you just become totally absorbed in it. Discovering this sort of music (not just Opeth but metal in general) was like some sort of revelation. It was like this was the music I'd been searching for. Most of the crap I'd been listening to so far was just a fucking waste of time.

To anyone who gets given shit about listening to Opeth or whatever, or dressing a certain way, I wouldn't worry. Anyone who feels the need to treat people like that is either so ignorant that it's not funny, or simply unable to accept difference. I see all sorts of so called 'weird' people at college, on the streets, around town. 9 times out of 10 their the most friendly and interesting people you can talk to. Who gives a fuck what they're wearing or what music they listen to? I'm content with my own life and choices, and don't feel the need to justify them by criticising others'.

Opeth is not actually about being evil at all. In fact, anyone who believes that is just misinformed. If you read the lyrics, it is pretty obvious. Dark (or even bleak) is a much better way to describe them. If you want to listen to "evil" music, listen to black metal or something.
This is just a little bit of aside, but for some reason, BP reminds me of Satis House and Miss Havisham in Great Expectations (By Charles Dickens, for the uninitiated), especially the tracks Bleak, Harvest, The Funeral Porrait, and The Drapery Falls. I guess it must be that ever-present of helplessness, and the inevitability of fate. What do you associate with Opeths music in general, and BP in particular?

Hey Wayfaerer, you are correct that Opeth is not about being evil, BUT Blackwater Park in particular has some VERY VERY angry and evil lyrics. Look at the very first verse in the whole album! How is that whole song (The Leper Affinity) not angry and evil? "Neath the lid all limbs are ticked away" "This coffin is your abode from now and onwards" "Your body is mine to Avail" etc etc.... I was refferring to Bwp as being a pretty evil album at times.

I listen to opeth just about everyday in school and in class. My teachers are cool. One of my teachers is a lady in her 40's and she likes opeth and other metal. Sometimes when im at the computer in class i blast opeth on the pc speakers and everyone is like hmmmm opeth? It's cool that they don't mind,even tho they are like 30 year olds. Have any of you all tried to draw the opeth logo? its tuff, i tried to draw it on the chalk board at school but its a lettering to draw.

Originally posted by Morningrise

being a pretty evil album at times.

morningrise was supposed to be 66 minutes and 6 seconds long. unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way.

Mike:
"I believe God crushed our evil plotting against him! The first mastering of the album was perfect with "666", but when the tapes arrived in England, Lee called me up saying that there were some seconds of silence in the middle of the last track. Luckily they had a safety copy on DAT, but unfortunately the remastered edition was one second shorter. God is evil!"

Opeth is great driving music...myself and the acoustic guitarist from my band go through albums (we have to travel quite a bit) and we sing every word, dictated who takes which parts of the harmonies, etc... it's great....and speaking of Opeth in school, back when I was in high school, I let my English teacher read the lyrics to MAYH....she thought they were depressing, but good! And on a final note, I live and go to school on the side of a mountain, and I tell you what, NOTHING fits better to a drive up the mountain on a cold night than Arcturus' "Aspera Hiems Symfonia"....give it a try!:)