Opeth is NOT Death Metal!

Couldn't this go in the thread about other Death Metal we listen to besides Opeth?

The mass of people who know the band call them some variation on DM, thats just a fact, and as we know, whatever the masses say is right. As someone said somewhere else, the Rasmus are considered Goth by kids of today, and they are right, because its those people that decide these pathetic decisions on genre and what is cool and what words mean. Like it or not thats the way it is and always will be. The Rasmus are gothic, opeth is DM of some kind, Kerrang! is a really good magazine.

There is no point debating it. People argue over genres all the time, and even if everyone on this forum agreed that Opeth is no where near DM they would still be called it by the masses. So whats the point in arguing over something so pointless?

A better question would be "When does giving a band a Precise Genre title become a long and unhelpful description?"

Mike's vocals are death growls. Nothing else about Opeth is death metal really, but the vocals earn them the right to be called death.

For the first few years of Opeth's existence they were considered a Black Metal band. My Arms signified the "death" and from then on the progressive elements became the dominant figures in the songwriting. You can argue over what label you prefer to think of them as, Opeth is a Opeth.

I was compelled to make up a long line of (sub)genres for Opeth to add some more humor to this thread, but when I did write it, I realized it was all true. For now, let's just call them Extreme Progressive Polkadeathcore :) Per should whip out the accordian on the next album, IM[not-so]HO :)