Opeth is NOT Death Metal!

NineFeetUnderground said:
yes. bands like soilwork, in flames, arch enemy, cradle of filth, and the like are OBVIOUSLY relying on skilled musicianship these days to get big. :Smug:

In flames did have good music before they sold out, and now they are complete shit

They used to be awesome melodic metal with a good guitarist.

why In Flames why??? why change? (money whores.)

This sell out thing could go on forever, but let's all understand something together here. In flames still think they are making great music! I don't think they are, and neither do a lot of people on this forum, but they didn't change thier music to make more money. Every band sells out the minute they sign a recording contract. It's so easy for a fan to claim one of their favorite bands sells out because they dont like their music anymore, but it's usually never the case. In flames' record company loves making money off of them by merchandising the shit out of them, but these people making money isn't why the music "sucks." The only band I know of that absolutely sold out is Kiss, but i won't talk about them anymore, because just mentioning them made my insides hurt.

BurningSky said:
This sell out thing could go on forever, but let's all understand something together here. In flames still think they are making great music! I don't think they are, and neither do a lot of people on this forum, but they didn't change thier music to make more money. Every band sells out the minute they sign a recording contract. It's so easy for a fan to claim one of their favorite bands sells out because they dont like their music anymore, but it's usually never the case. In flames' record company loves making money off of them by merchandising the shit out of them, but these people making money isn't why the music "sucks." The only band I know of that absolutely sold out is Kiss, but i won't talk about them anymore, because just mentioning them made my insides hurt.

:)

I think Sellout is becoming the new way of saying "The production is better and its not a clone of the last CD's". :erk: Obviously a bad thing, I mean, who actually wants to hear the music? Its better recorded on a tape recorder or not at all. People who call these bands sellouts are just sour idiots who don't even know the bands or care to find out about them...

And saying these bands are talentless... haha, yeah right. Compared to all your magical bands? Any one of these "lame" musicians are better than probably 99.9% of this messageboard put together (including me, I am not a musician in any way), and if you don't agree with that statement, don't bother replying, just make a really cool album and prove me wrong ok? :cool:

@NFU: "united" was a wrong choice of word ;) ... my english isn't perfect ... I meant that extreme metal is becoming one big blurry genre with elements from all sorts of genres that were previously very distinct.
and indeed, I agree that this has probably to do with a lack of new ideas, but on the other hand, it is delivering some good stuff (albeit not always as original).
but on the other hand, is it even possible to keep on going with creating new genres and being very original in metal music ... A LOT has been done now, so it's very hard.
and also, hasn't every new genre the last 15 years been a combining of different other genres ....

vampyrouss said:
:)

I think Sellout is becoming the new way of saying "The production is better and its not a clone of the last CD's". :erk: Obviously a bad thing, I mean, who actually wants to hear the music? Its better recorded on a tape recorder or not at all. People who call these bands sellouts are just sour idiots who don't even know the bands or care to find out about them...

And saying these bands are talentless... haha, yeah right. Compared to all your magical bands? Any one of these "lame" musicians are better than probably 99.9% of this messageboard put together (including me, I am not a musician in any way), and if you don't agree with that statement, don't bother replying, just make a really cool album and prove me wrong ok? :cool:

one thing is for certain, and that is In Flames has changed. If you disagree with me on that listen to reroute to remain.

If you still think they haven't changed, then my friend, you are an idiot.

I said the main reason people call bands sellouts IS because they progress and don't repeat themselves, ie they change. I just don't always see that as a bad thing. Reading the post before you reply is a good place to start.

If you are speaking to me, my parents are both in Cannibal Corpse actually, and they haven't ever progressed. So there.

Good you didn't confuse Burned with bummed or something. That wouldn't have looked good.

But back on topic....

Black Session said:
@NFU: "united" was a wrong choice of word ;) ... my english isn't perfect ... I meant that extreme metal is becoming one big blurry genre with elements from all sorts of genres that were previously very distinct.
and indeed, I agree that this has probably to do with a lack of new ideas, but on the other hand, it is delivering some good stuff (albeit not always as original).
but on the other hand, is it even possible to keep on going with creating new genres and being very original in metal music ... A LOT has been done now, so it's very hard.
and also, hasn't every new genre the last 15 years been a combining of different other genres ....

I find that very true, and if someone asks me what kind of music I mainly listen to I just say Extreme Metal, because its so much easier than trying to explain 7000 slightly different variations on the same thing.

It's true. Genre's suck. Math Metal/Tech Metal - what's the difference? Nu-Metal/Metalcore/Hardcore - what's the difference? (probably a fuckload)

But the point I'm making is who gives a fuck. Just put it all in the Metal section of your local record store. IMHO (I only just worked out what that meant - I fucking rule) there should be but 2 genres of metal:

Good Metal & Shit Metal.

-Vintersorg- said:
It's true. Genre's suck. Math Metal/Tech Metal - what's the difference? Nu-Metal/Metalcore/Hardcore - what's the difference? (probably a fuckload)

But the point I'm making is who gives a fuck. Just put it all in the Metal section of your local record store. IMHO (I only just worked out what that meant - I fucking rule) there should be but 2 genres of metal:

Good Metal & Shit Metal.

Or music I listen to and music I don't.