Opeth is NOT Death Metal!

Ganza said:
Exaxtomundo. That's what I tell people when they ask me what style Opeth play. I can't really think of a better description.

That looks like a Jackson Kelly in your avatar, those are great guitars, I have one :)

LadyValerie said:
That looks like a Jackson Kelly in your avatar, those are great guitars, I have one :)

It is a Jackson Kelly, and I like it quite a lot myself :D

Mine is a custom though, I've got the EMG 81-85 (Zakk Wylde) set on it and I've changed the pickup switch and volume knob positions for better playing ;)

What other guitars do you have?

[sorry to the rest of the people for going off topic ^^;]

Ganza said:
It is a Jackson Kelly, and I like it quite a lot myself :D

Mine is a custom though, I've got the EMG 81-85 (Zakk Wylde) set on it and I've changed the pickup switch and volume knob positions for better playing ;)

What other guitars do you have?

[sorry to the rest of the people for going off topic ^^;]

Well I have the aforementioned Kelly, a Gibson Les Paul custom and a Fender Jazzmaster(both given to me by my dad), a Gibson Firebird Studio, and two Harmony acoustic guitars. I also have 6 basses :)

extreme metal is becoming more and more united ... black metalbands with death influences or viking influences or doom influences ... or death bands with black influences, and so on .....
opeth combine a lot of genres, but death metal certainly is one of them, and an important one! ... also even on ghost reveries there are a couple of black metal riffs ...
oh well, it's all simply extreme metal ... the division between genres is fading more and more ... even with those bands who were once considered typical of one certain genre ...

but saying that opeth has nothing to do with death metal is really stupid! :p

affinityband said:
If anyone did say they were a death metal band i would like to punch them. Its not as easy as genres people..

If someone asked me "Aren't Opeth that death metal band from sweden?" I wouldn't try to correct them saying "no, actually Opeth is a Prog-BM-DM-Jazz-Symphonic-Band" or something. They get the point, and if in doubt why not just say Extreme Metal or just plain Metal?

My brother said it best when we were talking about this, the only good reason for genres in music is so that Pop CD's don't get mixed with DM CD's in a record shop.

Who cares if Opeth aren't strictly DM, if they are on a shelf with Cannibal Corpse I know it isn't going to be an RnB CD. Its probably not supposed to be there, since most CD places have them in alphebetical order and Opeth begins with O, but you know what I mean.

LadyValerie said:
Well I have the aforementioned Kelly, a Gibson Les Paul custom and a Fender Jazzmaster(both given to me by my dad), a Gibson Firebird Studio, and two Harmony acoustic guitars. I also have 6 basses :)

What the hell! That's a lot of guitars :p
We need to talk music! Hehe...I might AIM you tonight if that's ok and you're on :)

*exits the topic before getting bashed for the irrelevant convo*

Black Session said:
extreme metal is becoming more and more united ... black metalbands with death influences or viking influences or doom influences ... or death bands with black influences, and so on .....
opeth combine a lot of genres, but death metal certainly is one of them, and an important one! ... also even on ghost reveries there are a couple of black metal riffs ...
oh well, it's all simply extreme metal ... the division between genres is fading more and more ... even with those bands who were once considered typical of one certain genre ...

but saying that opeth has nothing to do with death metal is really stupid! :p

united isnt the word i would use. more like "out of ideas".

NineFeetUnderground said:
united isnt the word i would use. more like "out of ideas".

one good thing about this, the passage of time has forced bands to rely less on shock value as alot of black and death metal bands tend to do. they're now forced to rely more on skilled musicianship if they want any measure of success commercial or otherwise. but just to be petty, opeth is not death metal, it's just music.

neuroticandroid said:
one good thing about this, the passage of time has forced bands to rely less on shock value as alot of black and death metal bands tend to do. they're now forced to rely more on skilled musicianship if they want any measure of success commercial or otherwise. but just to be petty, opeth is not death metal, it's just music.

yes. bands like soilwork, in flames, arch enemy, cradle of filth, and the like are OBVIOUSLY relying on skilled musicianship these days to get big. :Smug: