Opeth/Katatonia US tour?

Coma323

Sep 6, 2007
Ledyard, CT
http://www.lambgoat.com/news/comments.aspx?id=16324&type=comments

Last week it was revealed that Opeth would embark upon a seven-week, headline tour of the U.S. to support the September release of their forthcoming album, "Heritage." Well, it appears that said tour will take place in September and October and will also feature Katatonia, with the following dates surfacing thus far:

9/19 Worcester, MA @ Palladium
9/21 New York, NY @ Webster Hall
9/22 New York, NY @ Webster Hall
9/26 Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
9/28 Nashville, TN @ Cannery Ballroom
10/6 Kansas City, MO @ Beaumont Club
10/8 Winnipeg, MB @ Garrick Centre
10/21 Pomona, CA @ The Fox Theater
10/25 Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre

You can expect an official announcement imminently.

Orly? Because I'm pretty sure they stated the reason why they don't tour together is because they already share the same fans ...

If every Opeth fan was a Katatonia fan I think they would be able to pull a bit more people at live shows.

I think the point is that people who are aware of one are usually aware of the other. I'm pretty sure it was Anders who said this when pressed on why they don't tour together. That makes perfect sense. You're acting as if they're opening for Metallica or something ... :tickled:

I think the point is that people who are aware of one are usually aware of the other. I'm pretty sure it was Anders who said this when pressed on why they don't tour together. That makes perfect sense. You're acting as if they're opening for Metallica or something ... :tickled:
I act as if they are opening for a band the sells out large clubs every night.

I am sure they sell out elsewhere, but the last time I saw Opeth I went with a few other people and we were able to purchase tickets the night before the show. The time before that, my girlfriend purchased a ticket the day of the show.

Was the place full? I am 100% sure that it was. Do Opeth play a lot of clubs that are too big for Katatonia to headline? Yes. Are all Katatonia gigs full? No. Some of the places they play don't even hold half the capacity of where Opeth plays. Aside from being great for the band it is what a shit load of fans have been wanting for a long time.

Was the place full? I am 100% sure that it was. Do Opeth play a lot of clubs that are too big for Katatonia to headline? Yes. Are all Katatonia gigs full? No. Some of the places they play don't even hold half the capacity of where Opeth plays. Aside from being great for the band it is what a shit load of fans have been wanting for a long time.

Anthony is right on the money here. I'm guessing Opeth sells/draws 3-4x (at least) the albums/crowds that Katatonia does in the US. Night is the New Day sold just over 2000 copies in it's first week of release in the USA, and Watershed sold over 19000, if that provides any frame of reference. I wouldn't be surprised if those figures stayed relatively proportionate over time.

But yeah, I guess Bleak Eye's girlfriend being able to buy a ticket day-of-show once totally throws all of that out of the window.

@6:10
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jg7dvuIrsk&feature=related[/ame]

But yeah, I'm gonna have to go with Anders on this one.

I just dislike the idea of Katatonia playing support for Opeth when they can headline shows themselves, even if they do not draw Opeth's crowds. If Katatonia took a financial hit on their last US tour than I understand and would have to agree with the two of you. I know Katatonia sold out at least a few shows on their last tour and I imagine their crowds will get bigger each time they come back.

Also, Opeth has had longer exposure with touring in the US than Katatonia has. They have probably been doing tours in the US for ten years or pretty close to that. I got into Opeth in 2002/2003 and in 2003 they did that alternating headliner tour with Porcupine Tree and they were headlining the US by themselves at the beginning of 2004. Katatonia's first tour here was towards the end of 2006 as support and then came back almost exactly a year later. Opeth comes back more often too.

I have this "underdog" attitude with Katatonia and Opeth. They have been active for the same amount of time, but Opeth has a larger fanbase even though in my opinion, Katatonia writes more consistently enjoyable and quality music than Opeth has, especially on an emotional level. I feel like if Katatonia gains anymore fans from touring with Opeth it would be somewhat minimal if what Anders said in this interview is correct and I agree with him for the most part.

I am not even sure why I bother posting about this as it is completely inane. Of course I will go to a show if this does end up being confirmed. So.........
:danceboy:

They have been active for the same amount of time, but Opeth has a larger fanbase even though in my opinion, Katatonia writes more consistently enjoyable and quality music than Opeth has, especially on an emotional level.
I agree.
The two Katatonia shows I went to fall 2010 were sold out yet the 2007 one had hardly anyone there, so they definitely picked up a lot of new fans with NITND. I do enjoy both bands even though I probably listen to Katatonia on a 5:1 scale compared to Opeth, so at least they are opening for a band I can enjoy live. I'll be at the MA and CT date.

They sold out in NYC because its NYC, and the place only had a 700 capacity. They also sold out in MA, playing the tiny part of the club. Opeth will be selling out or filling pretty much every city, in places that hold 2 or 3 times the capacity. Whatever your problem is with Opeth you should get over it. Be glad they aren't supporting Devildriver or some shit. Most of the people I know are jizzing over this and you are complaining. Just go to the fucking concert and show Katatonia your support, it's time to wake the masses.