Opeth, Lamb Of God, Gwar, Strapping Young Lad, Chimaira, Clutch+more-New 18 Band Tour

Jaded

There was nothing...
Jul 26, 2003
New York, NY
www.smnnews.com
It is like the other guy posted, except he neglected to read the 'competing against ozzfest part', meaning it's a different tour. Here's the lowdown:

http://www.smnnews.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1110179476&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

SMNnews.com can reveal more exclusive news regarding the 18-band packaged Summer tour that is set to rival this years OZZFEST 2005 that we first posted about yesterday . The tour will take place from June 25th through July 29th and will be dubbed the "Sounds of the Underground Tour", with tickets ranging in cost from $20 to $25.

Bands tipped to participate include:

LAMB OF GOD (main stage headliner)
GWAR (second stage headliner)
UNEARTH
OPETH
CHIMAIRA
CLUTCH
ALL THAT REMAINS
NORMA JEAN
THROWDOWN
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD
A LIFE ONCE LOST
DEVILDRIVER
EVERY TIME I DIE
TERROR / MADBALL (half of the tour each)

The tour will be held at mostly outdoor complexes. The only confirmed city at this point is Denver, CO. More information will be released shortly!

Thats...sort of cool. I guess. I'd heard that Opeth is expecting to do a summer tour of North America, but if this is it, I'm gonna be sorely dissapointed.

Why? Cause they deserve to headline a show for their fans, where they'll be fully appreciated it, not stared at by a bunch of confused hardcore kids.

I've seen Opeth live twice, and those are two of my absolute favorite shows ever. Both times they headlined small clubs, and if I see them playing a big outdoor area, with a short setlist...well, that just doesn't seem like an Opeth show, at least not to me. It would be very dissapointing to only get to hear a few songs.

Think about it, the average band set time at something like Ozzfest is 30-45 minutes, if they're near headlining. That's about 3-4 Opeth songs. Pretty sad, especially if they get followed by crap like Throwdown or Devildriver.

I saw Devildriver open for Opeth last time, they really sucked.

Anyway, I do think this is a cool tour with some good bands, I just dont like the idea of getting screwed out of a full Opeth headlining tour. I had a friend who's just getting into extreme metal but loves Opeth, and I'm planning to take him next time there are here. I know he'd much prefer seeing them in a small place, and would much more enjoy that show then one like this, he might not go if it's a big day long outdoor thing.

Anyway, I'd much rather see Opeth headline again, anything else is a dissapointment, and seems almost unfair to the band and fans.

Though I suppose they'd get a lot more money this way.

Starless Dragon said:
Thats...sort of cool. I guess. I'd heard that Opeth is expecting to do a summer tour of North America, but if this is it, I'm gonna be sorely dissapointed.

Why? Cause they deserve to headline a show for their fans, where they'll be fully appreciated it, not stared at by a bunch of confused hardcore kids.

I've seen Opeth live twice, and those are two of my absolute favorite shows ever. Both times they headlined small clubs, and if I see them playing a big outdoor area, with a short setlist...well, that just doesn't seem like an Opeth show, at least not to me. It would be very dissapointing to only get to hear a few songs.

Think about it, the average band set time at something like Ozzfest is 30-45 minutes, if they're near headlining. That's about 3-4 Opeth songs. Pretty sad, especially if they get followed by crap like Throwdown or Devildriver.

I saw Devildriver open for Opeth last time, they really sucked.

Anyway, I do think this is a cool tour with some good bands, I just dont like the idea of getting screwed out of a full Opeth headlining tour. I had a friend who's just getting into extreme metal but loves Opeth, and I'm planning to take him next time there are here. I know he'd much prefer seeing them in a small place, and would much more enjoy that show then one like this, he might not go if it's a big day long outdoor thing.

Anyway, I'd much rather see Opeth headline again, anything else is a dissapointment, and seems almost unfair to the band and fans.

Though I suppose they'd get a lot more money this way.

While I agree with you completly about seeing them do a headlining tour in smaller venues, your last sentence hit the nail on the head. Sorry to say, but almost anything and everything in the music industry with whatever band you like, even death/black metal bands on smaller labels, has to do with money. This tour is of great magnitude with many different bands of different styles and will probably get them many new fans, who will in turn buy many shirts and cds.

OPETH
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD

only bands I'm curious to see...Opeth are gods...Lamb of god is great to pound beers to, and strapping young lad is insane. For Opeth alone I will attend that!

Dreadful said:
OPETH
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD

only bands I'm curious to see...Opeth are gods...Lamb of god is great to pound beers to, and strapping young lad is insane. For Opeth alone I will attend that!
yeah i'm with you there dude, i'll admit i also like unearth's latest album but i have no interest whatsoever in any other band listed

Everytime you people are so desperate......and then you whine for like a week, when news arrive that it was all nothing more then a pile of shit. Cant wait for that moment *sticking around*

Lamb of God is headlining an underground metalfest?

WHAT???

Lamb of God isn't underground anymore.... they've got their record on sale at fucking hot topic for chrissake.

I think Starless Dragon pretty much hit the nail on the head there.
While I'm glad Opeth would get more exposure and all (though I'd argue they would be much better recieved among more metal and/or progressive bands), I must say I'd be a bit disappointed with this tour. I doubt I'll be attending this either because while I do like 1-2 of the other bands (SYL is good), I don't see the point in going to see ~30 minute sets from each of them, not to mention being surrounded by a bunch of tuffguy metalcore fans.

Jaded said:
It is like the other guy posted, except he neglected to read the 'competing against ozzfest part', meaning it's a different tour. Here's the lowdown:

http://www.smnnews.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1110179476&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

SMNnews.com can reveal more exclusive news regarding the 18-band packaged Summer tour that is set to rival this years OZZFEST 2005 that we first posted about yesterday . The tour will take place from June 25th through July 29th and will be dubbed the "Sounds of the Underground Tour", with tickets ranging in cost from $20 to $25.

Bands tipped to participate include:

GWAR (second stage headliner)
UNEARTH
OPETH
CHIMAIRA
CLUTCH
ALL THAT REMAINS
NORMA JEAN
THROWDOWN
STRAPPING YOUNG LAD
A LIFE ONCE LOST
DEVILDRIVER
EVERY TIME I DIE
TERROR / MADBALL (half of the tour each)

The tour will be held at mostly outdoor complexes. The only confirmed city at this point is Denver, CO. More information will be released shortly!
Ok, THANK YOU for the clarification because I was somewhat confused by the article. This must be a new outdoor fest because I couldn't think of any other outdoor metal fest but OZZFEST.
The lineup, as of yet doesn't interest me with the exception of GWAR, (whom I've seen soo many times) and Strapping Young Lad.
I'm not into the hardcore/nu metal stuff. Tell those promoters to put some christ strapping METAL on the bill.
Plus the outdoor fests may be harder for me to get to without a car.. I mean where are they going to have this fest in NY?
I would go to see opeth/SYL (sounds like a great tour combo those two bands right there) and leave early.
Sowwy about the confusion.

if this is true, i hope opeth has some time to throw in some off dates in which they headline....like a lot of bands do for ozzfest. If not, i hope they get a decent amount of time to play. if not, it might suck a bit...but, this is a great opportunity for opeth to get some more listeners...for the band's benefit, but especially for those who haven't noticed opeth yet. plus, we know they will be doing a few more u.s. tours...they tour the u.s. more than any other country! haha!!!