• For Absent Friends

Votes: 52 57.1%
  • Master's Apprentices

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • By The Pain I See In Others

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
you know, the short intrumentals should never have been included in these polls, as we all know that they don't have a chance in siberia of getting anywhere. hint: i vote for absent friends because it's the choice of any sane individual, as the results plainly show.

after for absent friends is gone, this album will be one of the toughest. I love all of the songs almost equally. I also agree that deliverance is one of opeth's best songs, it is a masterpiece.

well absent friends is a no-brainer. But Wreath would have to contain one of Opeth's most uninspired opening riffs ever. It always feels clumsy in its execution although the song as usual breaks out as it develops.
Look does any one else recognise the obvious coroner influence in the title track Deliverance. If you don't check out Grin by Coroner. Man it is close but who cares Coroner were brilliant. Maybe I will start another thread on the coroner influence. I know Voivod gets mentioned but for me this album reeks of a Coroner listening session by the boys in the not too distant past.

John Gargo said:
Somebody voted for the title track (i.e. best song on album)....
eek7.gif
Haha yeah I'm stupid. I didn't read the whole title of the thread and accidentally voted for my favorite. Then I realized it was SURVIVOR! Oh well, I don't watch much reality tv...

simonc2 said:
Wreath, I've heard it 5 times and I NEVER want to hear it again.
This will forever be one of life's great mysteries for me. Wreath is an awesome song; it certainly isn't one of their greatest ever, but it's formulaic Opeth, with good riffs, catchy melody and vocals, good lyrics......I mean, what the fuck is so wrong with it that almost everyone thinks it's the worst bar the instrumental???? The last two tracks aren't anywhere near as good as the opening ones, Wreath or otherwise.

I agree that Wreath is an awesome song, but to this day I'm not a huge fan of the opening riff...I agree with narcisco. The whole song is great, but the opening and outro are possibly Opeth's worst riff ever!

narcisco said:
Look does any one else recognise the obvious coroner influence in the title track Deliverance. If you don't check out Grin by Coroner. Man it is close but who cares Coroner were brilliant. Maybe I will start another thread on the coroner influence. I know Voivod gets mentioned but for me this album reeks of a Coroner listening session by the boys in the not too distant past.

Great call on the Coroner. I hadn't heard it yet but you're absolutely right. Basically the Grin album or the last tracks they recorded for the self-titled retrospective.