Opeth: The New Beatles?

Russell said:
I really don't think Opeth are influential enough (tho they should be) to be compared to the beatles. And I Don't consider the Beatle's music as ground breaking as I do Opeth's :)

Well The Beatles were groundbreaking for their time, you have to think about it in those terms. So it is comparable for what Opeth is doing now and for what The Beatles did back then.
By the way, The Beatles are one of those bands, if not the only band, that you can't really diss, they did so much for the rock genre that its not even funny. Their influence opened the doors for other bands and styles of rock. So there! :D

I think the Beatles are overrated musically. Put them up against The Who or Rolling Stones, and they blow away the Beatles. The Beatles were a pop band. They had more of an influence than anyone else, but I think they get more credit than they deserve.

The Stones and The Beatles are tied IMO, the Stones put out some fairly poor material but if you only compare the stuff they did when the Beatles were still around they are even if you ask me. And the Who are gay and fucking annoying, i see nothing remotely appealing about them, i don't like the vocalist, Pete Townshend was decent at best, Keith Moon is so overrated it maked me sick, and John Entwhistle was the only decent musician out of the lot of 'em.[end maniacal Who rant]

I'd say Opeth is more like a modern Metal Zeppelin. The first album was great but not as realized or broad in scope as the latter stuff, great guitar playing, vocals, drums, bass. Two amazing bands that are the at the top of their game, of course that's just my opinion.

comparing opeth to the beatles? please don't, that's like comparing fine wine to urine. the beatles are shit pop music. opeth tried to say something a little more substantive than "love me do" or "paperbag writer".
opeth are good for what they are. they are better than the pop drivel of today, but i wouldn't call them schnittke.

the alumnus said:
comparing opeth to the beatles? please don't, that's like comparing fine wine to urine. the beatles are shit pop music. opeth tried to say something a little more substantive than "love me do" or "paperbag writer".
opeth are good for what they are. they are better than the pop drivel of today, but i wouldn't call them schnittke.

What is this substantive thing Opeth is saying?

And yes, all the Beatles were trying to say was "Love me do" and "Paperbag writer".

Opeth influences like the Beatles did, but I don't think that any band can be considered the new Beatles.

warsofwinter said:
I doubt there will be any band on much music that will tell a life long story of how Opeth changed there music style , and there life style . If your seeing my point here ? , long story short , Beatles have the same effect on music has Opeth , but the Opeth side goes unoticed.

Well, the Beatles have influenced music more than Opeth from what I can see, but only time will tell. The Beatles get the respect beacuse they were so popular. You can't compare underground and mainstream music like that. In fact, the Beatles were the most popular band in the world for over 5 years. Also, the Beatles changed their style as much Opeth has, which maybe why they influence so many people. The Beatles used to be a "love-orientated" band designated for a female, teen audience, basically the 60s version of the boy-band.

warsofwinter said:
If they did tour with Tool , used all clean vocals , cut there songs down to 4-5 minutes , and made them less 'heavy' , then they could create a bigger 'mainstream' following , but they would loose all of us.

There wouldn't be a need for clean vocals if Opeth were to tour with Tool. Mushuggah opened for Tool, and Mushuggah is much heavier than Opeth. Also, becoming mainstream doesn't mean that a band will lose its non-mainstream followers.

AceRoccola said:
I'd say Opeth is more like a modern Metal Zeppelin.

I'd go with that. Both bands were revolutionary, not to the extent of the Beatles. Both bands had such a mature attitude in their premiering album.

kem said:
Who wrote most of the stuff in The Beatles? Was it McCartney?

All four Beatles wrote music for the Beatles. The most was written by Lennon and McCartney, followed by Harrison, and Ringo trailing by far.

Russell said:
I Don't consider the Beatle's music as ground breaking as I do Opeth's

Ok, you have only heard the early Beatles albums. Listen to Meet the Beatles and then listen to The White Album, notice a difference? Also, the Beatles were the first band to record in stereo opposed to mono. That is very ground breaking as for the production alone.

lostInFog said:
music wasn't technical, the harmonies were very simple, and the lyrics were sappy love songs.

The music was very technical. The harmonies were revolutionary. Try having 3 people sing different vocals at once and make it a chord. Very difficult to do. Also, the majority of the songs were love songs, but they stop writting about love as they mature. BTW, Opeth writes about love just as much as the Beatles. Listen to Orchid, Morningrise, and Still Life. They are love-based epical albums. They were the first band to use harmonies in rock songs. The Beatles were the first band to use a citare in their music.

MasterOLightning said:
I think the Beatles are overrated musically. Put them up against The Who or Rolling Stones, and they blow away the Beatles. The Beatles were a pop band. They had more of an influence than anyone else, but I think they get more credit than they deserve.

Uh... ya... Did you know that the Beatles wrote the Rolling Stones' first number one single.

The Beatles were the first band to ever have music videos. 20 years before MTV's debut and 20 years before any other band had music videos. The Beatles were the first band that actually used a bass guitar efficiently.

Without the Beatles, you might have never had many of your favorite bands. The Beatles meant a lot to the youth worldwide in the 1960's, not only as musician. They had a huge influence with everything from haircuts to how to live the life. Their popularity was huge even in the 70's and all the way up till today. You can't deny the influence of the Beatles to the world.

I dont think Opeth and the Beatles are of the same caliber....

Mind you, Opeth is trying different things, Just as the beatles did....But, Opeth is taking elements that have never been played...TOGETHER, and putting them together. Where, The Beatles...May have very well invented those elements.

I would say the comparison of Zepplin and Opeth is pretty accurate. Great Muscianship, Made even better in the company of band-mates, and who had a very distinct and DIFFERENT sound through each album, But you still knew who they were.

Beatles had an influence on every late 60's and early 70's band...And still many up until today. Even Ozzy Osbourne and Geezer Butler or Black Sabbath admit to admiring the work of the Beatles members and for the steps they took towards pushing the envelope with "Rock and Roll"

No. absolutely not.

I love opeth, dont get me wrong....but id never compare the two.

The worst beatles album has had more impact on the music world than opeths entire catalog probably ever will, and im sure the band would probably agree with this. I must also agree with whoever said that Opeth isnt exactly new...they dont play anything you cant hear elsewhere...they just decided to take several styles, and mold them together to make an end product of somewhat originality...at least in metal. But to be honest, blending hard music with acoustic breaks and clean vocals isnt a totally original concept (i think we would all agree)...however opeth do it quite well. I wouldnt know who to compare opeth to, to be perfectly honest. And for that kid who was flaming the beatles...yes...ignorance is abundant on your end of the table. go check out sgt. peppers, abbey road, revolver, let it be and the white album , etc...and tell me that its immature and silly love song material, or whatever you claimed it was. Nothing bothers me more than metalheads who cant tell their ass from their elbow when it comes to non metal genres. And as for the best concert...id remove opeth and tool from the equation and say Rush and Yes. :Spin:

Vortex said:
You're talking about the Beatles from 1962-1963, right? Remember that there were seven years more of this great band.

You're not making any enemies, this just shows you're ignorant. Give a listen to some of the later Beatles' albums (Revolver, Sgt.Pepper, The White Album, Abbey Road) and you'll see all your arguments are dead wrong. It's fine if you still don't like it, but you might even find that some of the songs are just as complex as your beloved Opeth songs, just put in a two minute form. In fact, the harmonies are some of the most advanced in popular music.

And about that tour, make it Opeth, Tool and RUSH!! *drool* ;)

I find it quite funny. The beatles earlier work was popular, but pretty shitty music. Therefore, whenever someone nowadays thinks Beatles, they think the earlier love song crap stuff, beacause they are too ignorant to actually go and listen to their music. I listen to heaps of the beatles later albums because they are so good. But of course, most played music would be opeth (BTPISIO, Deliverence, hope leaves etc. etc. etc.).

I'm sorry but these two cannot be compared. The beatles had impacts on society. I don't see anything like that from opeth (yet!).