Opeth@W:O:A-2006

I like Opeth but at Wacken, they were frankly shit. Most of the set was this weird improvisational slow thing and everyone was like, is that it?! when their set ended

illidurit said:
elaborate

They were quiet, they didnt really 'work the crowd', didn't play their best songs imo and they played that silly little quiet improvisational thing. I waited to the end of that and thought they were going to go into a song and just building up but the set ended. Maybe they just had a bad day

The weird improv bit he/she is referring to was the middle part of Closure. I really like how they go off on one and indulge their prog selves, but I think the audience were more like, :erk:

If Opeth play Wacken again I think they should definitely gear themselves up for a heavy set.

Ideally they would have played at night and the selist would have been something like:

Wreath
Masters Apprentices
The Amen Corner
Godhead's Lament
Deliverance

That, my friends, would have ruled.

Harlequin Forest said:
The weird improv bit he/she is referring to was the middle part of Closure. I really like how they go off on one and indulge their prog selves, but I think the audience were more like, :erk:

If Opeth play Wacken again I think they should definitely gear themselves up for a heavy set.

Ideally they would have played at night and the selist would have been something like:

Wreath
Masters Apprentices
The Amen Corner
Godhead's Lament
Deliverance

yes, go on dreaming my friend...

Harlequin Forest said:

Wreath
Masters Apprentices
The Amen Corner
Godhead's Lament
Deliverance

I'm a she. Yeah a heavier set would have been more ideal.

Suffice said:
They were quiet, they didnt really 'work the crowd', didn't play their best songs imo and they played that silly little quiet improvisational thing. I waited to the end of that and thought they were going to go into a song and just building up but the set ended. Maybe they just had a bad day

That was the best bit to be honest. Its pity you couldnt appreciate it at the time.

about the improvisation, did anyone notice the jimi hendrix's '3rd stone from the sun' melody put by mikael in the closure jam?

scorpions played the same the night before while jamming...