Opeth will open for Dream Theater in America in April/May 2008

It's not a matter of who sucks or not. Dream Theater pulls in a bigger crowd than Opeth would, so Opeth has to open for them. Plus this means Opeth will be playing bigger venues than they usually do (aside from European festivals), and introducing more people to awesome music.

Yeah DT does pull in a big crowd....of douchebags. Do we really want more douchebags listening to Opeth and making their entire fan base look like retards? Sure Opeth would make more money, but douchebag money isn't the same as regular people money. :Smug:

MA is a DT fan and a friend of Mike Portnoy's. MA contributed to the Dream Theater cut "Repentance."

oh and the much rumored Steven Wilson/MA/Mike Portnoy project.

This is hardly surprising when DT signed to RR. Opeth opening is the only surprise really.

Opeth as an opening band IS an surprise. But looking at the context, it all makes sense. At least to me it does.

btw, Opeth clearly won`t release the album by that time (Roundhouse Tapes being the example how long it actually takes to release something). But even if they do, they likely don`t play any songs from it.

Yeah DT does pull in a big crowd....of douchebags. Do we really want more douchebags listening to Opeth and making their entire fan base look like retards? Sure Opeth would make more money, but douchebag money isn't the same as regular people money. :Smug:

I'd take dream theater fans over devildriver any day of the week, and I don't seem to recall the devildriver tour killing opeth.

Really great that I get to see Opeth but count me in the crowd that is definetly exiting after Opeth. I dont want to spoil the sound in my ears after listening to Opeth. Sorry DT fans...

I'd take dream theater fans over devildriver any day of the week, and I don't seem to recall the devildriver tour killing opeth.

True, but that's because Devildriver's fans' ears will actually be damaged by good music so they try not to listen to it if at all possible, so that's why Opeth made it through that tour unscathed.

lol...You're already making Opeth that douchebag dollar.

Really great that I get to see Opeth but count me in the crowd that is definetly exiting after Opeth. I dont want to spoil the sound in my ears after listening to Opeth. Sorry DT fans...

The truth.

Co-Headlining? Sure why not?

Opening? Bullshit.

At least we can get in and out.

This also ruins my hope of Opeth being on Gigantour again(which would be way better). Bah.

Great news for me, I love both bands. After Metallica's big 3 albums, my absolute favorite bands are DT and Opeth (or Opeth and DT). If I had to pick one as better than the other... I couldn't do it.

I honestly don't like James Labrie's vocals at all, but to me the singer is the least important part of a band. My ears follow the music itself and if the singer is good then it's just icing on the cake.

Some of you guys posted about "Dream Theater nerds". I laughed when I read that, because I picture Opeth fans as very similar to DT fans. The concert will be a battle of the metal nerds. :lol:

DT is popular? That made me laugh too.

My students who are into metal (or at least think they are) have never heard of either band.

Just listen to all the haterz...

Just be glad they're putting out a new album and touring so soon. Given the legions of crap bands at Roadrunner, the pairing could have been much worse.

If you want to leave after Opeth finishes, I'll be happy to take your spot.

True, but that's because Devildriver's fans' ears will actually be damaged by good music so they try not to listen to it if at all possible, so that's why Opeth made it through that tour unscathed.

Exactly. It's like Opeth's music is out of their spectrum of hearing....because they are used to listening to such shite.