Opeth will open for Dream Theater in America in April/May 2008

I'm only 18 so the downloading thing was just starting to get really big about the time I was in junior high school, but when I dl'd something I wouldn't decide whether or not I liked a band based on a few songs, I'd get 8+ or entire albums if possible before I made my decision. I'd even do research to find out what album a song was from and even who the lineup on an album was...yeah, I'm a music nerd. Young kids today are lazy mofo's.

My guitar teacher was awesome, he's a blues/jazz player in his mid 50s and he knows fucking Slayer riffs and Malmsteen licks. That dude is badass.

I'm the same age....But when i download something, it's either music thats rare. The rest i either do one song then buy the album. I like looking at the art.

heh....to that teacher, you should play some bands that your students have never heard. I think it's sad that they don't know many bands yet. Give them time though, they're only freshman.

So much DT hate... Damn. Anyway, for me, it's a dream come true. My top three favorite bands are Symphony X, Opeth and Dream Theater (in that order), so badass.

I download to get a grip on a band so it's pretty much vital for me to know the album (inc. release date), line-up, how it fits in with the rest of their music etc. It's only after this that I can really say whether I like a band or not. But it's true that most young people download a famous song or one they've heard of and leave it at that. It's amazing when I go through my mates iPods and see so many artists, then I go into them to check out what they have and there's a single song. I guess there's just too much music and too little time for a lot of people, but me, I like to know the background.

I played the start of Masters Apprentices before school when some kids were in my room - that went over really well - "woah - what's this?!?!"

So when do you think we'll see tour dates announced? I haven't been to a concert since Iced Earth back in 04 (I think that was the year, it was when they toured right after Glorious Burden) and I'm itching to increase the amount of tinnitus I'm experience every day when my head hits the pillow. :)

probably not till awhile.....Mike Portnoy of DT said roadrunner was kind of fucked up in letting the news out way early...

No, my students are more into bands like As I Lay Dying, Job for a Cowboy, and other bands like that. When I play stuff like Slayer, they say, "cool, what is that coach?" Kids today (these are ninth graders) seem to not have a grasp on the whole genre. I don't get it... you would think they would have more exposure to a wider variety of bands with downloading and all, but they don't.

One effect that downloading has had is, for example, kids that claim to love old Metallica can't match up songs with albums. They see artists more as individual songs than looking at the bands whole catalogue or even a whole album. They will think a band is great from literally just one song. Their Ipods are full of artists that have one song from one album.

Lol, I'm in 9th and I'm almost the complete opposite of those kids. Awesome that your exposing them to such music though, hopefully it will improve their musical horizons. What do you teach?

Btw, I am really psyched about this tour. Opeth and DT are my favorites and I've never seen DT live. I don't understand all the bashing on DT because I love all of it (except some keyboard parts) even the vocals. SC was an awesome album too. Gonna be a fun concert!!! :Spin:

it's depressing to see so many immature and ignorant twats all gathered on a board for one of my favorite bands. very disappointing, perhaps some of you will grow up some day

I also checked some DT fans sites like Mike Portnoy's to see their reaction and almost all of them are psyched about the news of this tour. The very few who weren't already fans of Opeth acted like this will give them an excuse to try to get into the band.

I'm embarrassed to call myself an Opeth fan if this is how a lot of them are. I'm really surprised by it too, I think of Opeth's music as being extremely intelligent so I guess I always assumed their fans would be too.

Mr. Bland - I teach Phys Ed and health - yep, I'm Mr. Woodcock. Too bad you're not in my class, you'd love the music!

I also checked some DT fans sites like Mike Portnoy's to see their reaction and almost all of them are psyched about the news of this tour. The very few who weren't already fans of Opeth acted like this will give them an excuse to try to get into the band.

I'm embarrassed to call myself an Opeth fan if this is how a lot of them are. I'm really surprised by it too, I think of Opeth's music as being extremely intelligent so I guess I always assumed their fans would be too.

Mr. Bland - I teach Phys Ed and health - yep, I'm Mr. Woodcock. Too bad you're not in my class, you'd love the music!

Opeth fans to dream theater tend to be like dream theater fans to metallica, most of them whether they'll admit it or not listened to dream theater right before they got into opeth and now are overcompensating with this THEY SUCK SO HARD LOL ALL THEIR FANS ARE RETARDS LOL attitude. Pathetic, really. I could SORT of understand this when they toured with devil driver (as devil driver are directed at 15 year olds with spike necklaces) but this is just idiotic. Opeth is an extremely nerdy band and a ton of people I know consider them as self-indulgent and unbearable as dream theater (mostly due to song lengths and riff repetition instead of number of notes in solos), but apparently slightly different nerdy bands must have any mention of them accompanied by screams of "faggot" for fear of seeming UNTR00 cause lord knows liking Opeth isn't at all geeky.

translation: most DT fans are boring, politically correct faggots

What about respect, seeing the glass half full, being positive ?

You're right, insulting artists you don't like show how educated you are, how smart and witty your brain fonctions.

Good for you.

You will eventually grow up.

Eventually.

Based on reactions in this thread, it appears that the majority are happy about this tour. I guess we could also generate a new thread with a poll to gather better data. Even with a poll, it's certainly not scientific as it's apparent that not all Opeth fans actually post here :)

Well you have to look at it from thier point of view, i mean many people whether you like it or not do not get the death metal vocals and that is why you get responses like having an excuse to get into the band.

What about respect, seeing the glass half full, being positive ?

You're right, insulting artists you don't like show how educated you are, how smart and witty your brain fonctions.

Good for you.

You will eventually grow up.

Eventually.

Insulting bands has nothing to do with immaturity, and i can't really see why you get personally offended by such silly things. Also, don't lie to me telling you've never insulted a band before...that's hypocrisy.

You will end up exploding if you take all the insults directed to your favourite band so seriously. don't be retarded. srsly.

I for one am looking forward to any Opeth related tour...Although I am rather disappointed it is not a headling tour...I just hope that as "special" touring guests ,Opeth get atleast an hour to 1 hr 1/2 (Anything below the one hour mark is pretty obsolete in my opinion..It does not do or give the band the justice/Time they deserve)
With that being said..I do like DT...Not my faviorite band in the world but I do respect their musicianship & overall talent...Now who honestly gives a rats ass with the mixture of fans?
I mean does the crowd/fans really annoy you that much at a live gig? are you beyond attention deficit?(Granted..Hollering out during slow parts..." You suck" or anything for that matter etc. is a whole other ballgame and I hate that as well!)

I say lets just be grateful and happy we are going to see one(Or depending on where you stand? two faviorite bands)bands live once again or for the first time?!
Enjoy music.enjoy the live show,enjoy the experience.
:headbang: