Opeth will open for Dream Theater in America in April/May 2008

How much time have you DT haters given them? Opeth isn't exactly a love at first hear band either. Listen to Metropolis or Learning to Live (especially the second half of the song) a few times and then decide. If it still sounds like crap to your ears, cool. I'm just glad I didn't go with my first reaction to Dream Theater OR Opeth.

At first DT sounded way to cheesy with a gay sounding lead singer and Opeth sounded like non-sensical, loosely tied together incoherent mushiness. How wrong first impressions can be.

Opeth is dts "special guests" for this tour, says portnoy. So hopefully that means over an hour of time to play which i think it does.

besides that DT is a fun live band.

I'm excited. Two bands that i very much enjoy and had the pleasure seeing on Gigantour both 1 and 2.

I really hope they come to New Mexico. Last time Opeth was here Mikaels guitar had problems, for almost the whole of Ghost of Perdition. It sucked cause that is one of my fav.'s off of Ghost Reveries. And he said if we would like it if they came back....I sure hope this is it. :headbang:

No, my students are more into bands like As I Lay Dying, Job for a Cowboy, and other bands like that. When I play stuff like Slayer, they say, "cool, what is that coach?" Kids today (these are ninth graders) seem to not have a grasp on the whole genre. I don't get it... you would think they would have more exposure to a wider variety of bands with downloading and all, but they don't.

One effect that downloading has had is, for example, kids that claim to love old Metallica can't match up songs with albums. They see artists more as individual songs than looking at the bands whole catalogue or even a whole album. They will think a band is great from literally just one song. Their Ipods are full of artists that have one song from one album.

The problem with DT really lies in James LaBrie's horrendous vocals. Don't get me wrong...Petrucci is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard but I simply can-not get into this band.
And to think I had to sit through their whole set at Gigantour...all their fans remind me of Dungeons & Dragon nerds as well.

I just tried to give DT another chance, I really did. I'm sorry...I will still be leaving early. Vocals can make or break a band for me and this shit is just horrible.

....and what's this shit about the tickets be $50+(which I will still pay because..well...it's opeth)?

Funny how Opeth fans who don't like DT are such cum gurglers.
They stupidly bash DT and their fans with lame ass arguments.

On DT related boards, people who don't like Opeth just say : " not my thing " then they move and they don't come to piss in Opeth threads.

Each time a DT thread is opened, retarded people feel the need to bash DT like it makes them more musically educated or something.

Share the love.

Embrace the music.

but most importantly :

Stay Emo !!!

:kickass:

No, my students are more into bands like As I Lay Dying, Job for a Cowboy, and other bands like that. When I play stuff like Slayer, they say, "cool, what is that coach?" Kids today (these are ninth graders) seem to not have a grasp on the whole genre. I don't get it... you would think they would have more exposure to a wider variety of bands with downloading and all, but they don't.

One effect that downloading has had is, for example, kids that claim to love old Metallica can't match up songs with albums. They see artists more as individual songs than looking at the bands whole catalogue or even a whole album. They will think a band is great from literally just one song. Their Ipods are full of artists that have one song from one album.

I'm only 18 so the downloading thing was just starting to get really big about the time I was in junior high school, but when I dl'd something I wouldn't decide whether or not I liked a band based on a few songs, I'd get 8+ or entire albums if possible before I made my decision. I'd even do research to find out what album a song was from and even who the lineup on an album was...yeah, I'm a music nerd. Young kids today are lazy mofo's.

My guitar teacher was awesome, he's a blues/jazz player in his mid 50s and he knows fucking Slayer riffs and Malmsteen licks. That dude is badass.

what's with all the DT hate? they're fucking amazing musicians, and i am beyond thrilled to have both opeth AND DT in the same tour.
outside of these forums which seem to be a breeding ground for teenage angst and musical ignorance, most people i know in real life who like opeth generally like dream theater as well and love progressive music in general
and generally bands with a smaller fanbase open for bands with a bigger fan base. it makes logical sense, pull the wooden dillies out of your asses