Opeths most depressing record

good thread.
i showed the BWP booklet pictures to my brother and he said, "they look like a bunch of depressed nerds."
i thought that was funny, but it pretty much sums up opeths intentional atmosphere. even the nerd part.
coming from rush, dream theater, and what-have-you, i thought the very first note to the very first opeth song i ever heard was depressing. i was blown away. and i liked it.
so, to answer the question, opeth as a whole, is depressing. they make a point of being that way and projecting that image. they dress like they are from the depressing 70s (and yet none are old enough to remember the 70s), they play in minor keys and...get this...they are a DEATH metal band.

KennonKun said:
Orchid contains their most triumphant moments, musically. I can't understand anyone who arrives at the conclusion that it's their most depressing record. I mean, come on, THERE'S A FLOWER ON THE COVER.

HAHAHAHHA! Good call.....Id have to say Damnation is the most depressing (and, featuring a china doll on the front, scary), especially songs such as In My Time Of Need, Hope Leaves and Weakness..even Closure is pretty sad when you get right down to it! Most other albums have a vibrant, powerful energy, too strong to convey depression as such. Without that this one is just agonizing at points

a test would be to have a non-fan listen to random songs and ask their response. the one i always get is, "that music makes me want to kill myself."
opeth are depressing. they mean to be. end of story.

the_3_toed_sloth said:
HAHAHAHHA! Good call.....Id have to say Damnation is the most depressing (and, featuring a china doll on the front, scary), especially songs such as In My Time Of Need, Hope Leaves and Weakness..even Closure is pretty sad when you get right down to it! Most other albums have a vibrant, powerful energy, too strong to convey depression as such. Without that this one is just agonizing at points

Yeah, I agree with that. I can't just go by lyrics alone, the music has to have that soft/melancholy vibe to it and In My Time Of Need is one of the most depressing songs on there.

Both lyrically and musically i'm going to have to go with Dirge For November

Lost, here is nowhere
Searching home still
Turning past me, all are gone
Time is now
The omen showed, took me away
Preparations are done, this can't last
The mere reflection brought disgust
No ordeal to conquer, this firm slit
It sheds upon the floor, dripping into a pool
Grant me sleep, take me under
Like the wings of a dove, folding around
I fade into this tender care

The leads at the beginning just take me away, and the outro, well - "i fade into this tender care"

Almost all of Opeth's music beholds a certain tone to it that definitely conveys a depressive atmosphere. As for stating an answer to which Opeth album beholds the most depressive atmosphere, I would most definitely have to agree with the majority of users in this forum and cast a vote for both ''My Arms, Your Hearse'' and ''Still Life. And the reason for doing so would just simply be because of the lyrical content that those two particular albums behold. Although, I also happen to find that the ''Morningrise'' album also conveys a rather depressive atmosphere to it aswell, And that would mainly be because I personally believe that all the tracks on that particular album are in some relation to the mourning of Mikael's grandfather who passed away during the recording process of that album.