Orchestras/Strings

Luis is kinda right up there about orchestra not fitting into metal or rock, I have Metallica's S&M too and I think that even Kamen tried to do his best it doesn't really work that well, like the orchestra is creating too much hook melodies over killer metal riffs and IMO that sometimes spoils it, so with SymX, Pinnella is enough, they don't really need an orchestra.

I don't think that the way S&M was conceived is the only way to add an orchestra to a metal band. Unlike S&M, where it mainly is the orchestra "behind" the band playing the song unaltered, it could instead involve a lot of rearrangements of the original songs, or let the orchestra appear in certain parts of the song, etc. Or just compose new songs, like Metallica's superb "No Leaf Clover", in which orchestra and band are fully together as one. Just a thought...

HeroBoy said:
Seeing SymX play V with an orchestra in a live concert would probably give me a heart attack. I don't think mortal beings were meant to witness such great greatness, greatly.

At all events, with the other orchestral parts taken up by the orchestra you could just stick Pinella on a real grand piano. That would rock.
Hear Hear, Heroboy! :D:headbang:

You can't add in a symphony to a completed metal song. You have to compose the song with the symphony already in mind. Rock music was never designed for orchestras, anyway. It's metal, with its neoclassical leaning, that can truly mesh with classical music in an applicable manner.

Metallica's S&M was a fucking joke. Listen to Therion. Then you'll see what I mean.

And Symphony X can totally pull it off if they play their cards right.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Here's the difference between SX using an orchestra, and Metallica using an orchestra:

Romeo can compose well.

Romeo IS very talented, but could you please leave off of Michael Kamen? He WAS a very talented guy himself and some of us really like what he did.

If you want to bash someone, by all means bash Metallica themselves, who wrote the original songs. Lars Ulrich deserves all the bashing he gets and then some.

Rose Immortal said:
Romeo IS very talented, but could you please leave off of Michael Kamen? He WAS a very talented guy himself and some of us really like what he did.

If you want to bash someone, by all means bash Metallica themselves, who wrote the original songs. Lars Ulrich deserves all the bashing he gets and then some.

Agreed.

OfSinsAndShred said:
Here's the difference between SX using an orchestra, and Metallica using an orchestra:

Romeo can compose well.

I doubt Metallica did any orchestra composing on S&M, atleast in the booklet it says that Kamen did it. And about Romeo being better composer, maybe in the classical side but IMO nothing can beat the complexity of older metallica riffs, so I think they are good composers.

Rose Immortal said:

I meant to say Romeo's better than Metallica, not Kamen. I just think SX's music is waaay better suited to something like this than Metallica's. If Symphony X did it, it would be a much more seamless combination of classical and metal. I like Metallica's stuff, and I like classical, but I think they're too far apart to smash together.

Um... sorry.

I, for one, would love to hear Symphony X play with an orchestra. There's something about fifty thousand violins playing in tandem that a keyboardist just can't convey, no matter how talented s/he is.

Michael Kamen was a genius.

Rose Immortal said:
Personally I did like Metallica's S & M. Even if you guys hate it, you owe one thing to it: getting me to cross over into the metal genre and eventually come to love a band called Symphony X. ;)

I would love to see SymX's music performed with a live orchestra. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this, but the conductor who played such a great part in creating the S & M concerts--Michael Kamen--passed away in 2003. Perhaps someone else could be found to do it successfully, but for me (as a Michael Kamen fan), that's my big reservation about it. :(

Seiji Osawa would be perfect for conducting an ensemble with Symphony X. The man is intensity and external energy personified.

As for Metallica, I only really like listening to "The Call Of Ktulu" and "Master Of Puppets" off that record as they are somewhat classical in their structures.(It's really a shame they didn't do "Fade To Black" or "The Four Horsemen").

Personally though, I think it would be divinely sublime to hear Symphony X perform their music with a symphony orchestra. And I bet Romeo could add much more input into the arrangements than any of the whiny Cashtallica
members could.

"Divine Wings" is a must!

symphony x with a full orchestra and choir would own, but then again i can see it happening with nightwish as well (dreams of hearing ghost love score like that..... :OMG: ) romeo's composition skills are awesome though and i hope in the future they do have an orchestra at least on a studio album.

An orchestra would b awesome, but it would cost a shitload more too see. Despite that obvious downfall I would still pay whatever it may be. Sucks for me though, cos if I ever want to see it then i'd probably have to fly over to america cos I dont think they have even thought about touring australia :(.

As for stuff that wasn't on S & M that I wish were on there...I think "Unforgiven" already had the rudiments of a successful arrangement, and it would've been spectacular. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, nobody was able to make it work to their satisfaction. :(