Orphaned Land / Suidakra US tour???

well my freind....welcome to the world of Reggies and Bottom Lounge. Almost all Reggies shows get out at 2 AM. They dont even start till like 9:30 PM. The Bottom Lounge too. They start a bit later. Since they cater to the over 21 crowd.

Interesting. I've been to lots and lots of shows all over the city and have never had this problem. Good to know though that shows do go well over that time on occassion.

Interesting. I've been to lots and lots of shows all over the city and have never had this problem. Good to know though that shows do go well over that time on occassion.

All the Reggies shows that I have been too ended at 2 AM and the Bottom Lounge show I was at started at 8. 4 bands...all punk so they play shorter sets even. Show ended at 12:45. The longer they stay open..the more drinks they can sell. The cool thing about The Bottom Lounge is thatthe main room which is the restraunt / bar place is open till 2:30 I think and after the show and during you can hang out there.

The bigger problem is that Jewish does not necessarily mean being Metal friendly.

I am very friendly to metal. I consider metal to be my friend.

I think Scott Ian, Lips from Anvil, and Kerry King would agree too, though I suppose those three will not be available to attend these shows anyhow.

All the Reggies shows that I have been too ended at 2 AM and the Bottom Lounge show I was at started at 8. 4 bands...all punk so they play shorter sets even. Show ended at 12:45. The longer they stay open..the more drinks they can sell. The cool thing about The Bottom Lounge is thatthe main room which is the restraunt / bar place is open till 2:30 I think and after the show and during you can hang out there.

The 69 Eyes show at Reggies in October ended at 11:30pm.

I am very friendly to metal. I consider metal to be my friend.

I think Scott Ian, Lips from Anvil, and Kerry King would agree too, though I suppose those three will not be available to attend these shows anyhow.
And, even the Hasid that was at the Kamelot show at BB Kings 3 years ago would agree with you on that one. Never forget it, He was wearing a tie-dyed "For The Sake of Revenge" T-shirt over his prayer shawl, and sported an Iced Earth yarmulke. I almost dropped my beer when he told me that his wife made the yarmulke. :lol: Really felt bad for the guy when he got tossed for crowd surfing during the Kamelot set.

But, to add to that point, there is already some promotion for the BB Kings show amongst the Conservative Yeshiva High Schools in the area. I was in a bagel store this morning, and three guys from the local school saw me in my ProgPower T-Shirt and asked me of my opinion of Ophaned Land.

metallica.jpg

Interesting. I based my statement on an interview I did with Kobi back in 2005. He mentioned that although they all come from jewish backgrounds, they didn't consider themselves jewish in the religious sense.

Neither do I, when all is said and done. I'm more a deicidal cosmic pantheist, but the cultural identity from family lines is always Judiaic.

Correct, the fact that they are able to pull in a non-metal audience just based on their cultural heritage is very important.

I remember 10 years or so ago, Pentagram (Mezerkabul) played in Copenhagen, Denmark - I believe it was the first (only?) time they played outside of Turkey. The show was SOLD OUT due to the huge Turkish population in Copenhagen, even if noone in the metal scene had any clue as to who the band was.

Look at the whole J-pop/J-rock scene as another example - a lot of those "metal bands" in those genres wouldn't necessarily attract many metal fans in Europe or USA, but due to the cultural heritage they are able to get a lot of Japanese and Korean people to their shows wherever they play.

c.

I think the J-rock thing started growing first here in the American interest in it first. Not arguing or disagreeing with you at all. Just adding that it was the growing influence of Japanese culture in our popular culture; comics, cartoons mainly that brought in the music and even Japanese fashion trends. It seemed to actually grow with Americans as if it were a product sold to them oppose to Japanese people bringing in their culture or it advertise generally at their culture.
This was just my observation from watching the growth of J-rock and seeing Japanese music grow at conventions, etc. My interest was peaked years ago when I started wondering why I never saw popular music represented at Japanese type convents like animi conventions.
Interestingly enough those things always seemed to have very few Japanese attendees. I would really like to see what a Dir en Grey concert would do.
But getting off topic I guess. Still I do agree with you. It is a very smart move on the bands part.

I bet you shower in a Maiden shirt!

Ha ha, not quite.

I was going to say that I would make sure to not wear a Maiden shirt at the next show we will both be at, but that will probably be the DiAnno show and I will have to wear a Maiden shirt to that one! :lol:

Ha ha, not quite.

I was going to say that I would make sure to not wear a Maiden shirt at the next show we will both be at, but that will probably be the DiAnno show and I will have to wear a Maiden shirt to that one! :lol:

You going to Pentagram / Gates of Slumber on Jan 30th?

You going to Pentagram / Gates of Slumber on Jan 30th?

No. Here is my current list:

02/05: Slayer/Megadeth/Testament
02/22: Alice In Chains
02/25: Paul DiAnno
03/20: Alice In Chains
04/09: Overkill

Thinking about the Kreator/Voivod show on 03/12, but haven't decided on that one yet.

Interesting again. I know when I went to Reggies for Baroness a while back it ended a little bit before midnight.

That's interesting. I will almost certainly be there; I liked them on cd, loved them at progpower, and would really enjoy seeing them again.

The KREATOR show on March 6th at the Nokia Theatre in N.Y.C. is on my birthday. So...needless to say that will be a fucking awesome show for me. Also David Gilmour, Michael Romeo, and Chris Broderick will be celebrating too as we all share the same birthday. David Gilmour 23 years to the day before me, Michael Romeo the year before me, and Chris Broderick the year after me. I know it means nothing to anybody else, but I thought I'd mention it anyway because I'm quite proud to share my birthday with three guitar legends.

I would go to this for Suidakra if there's an Atlanta date. Their sound in Purgatory and their shortened set due to it being at Scion Rock Fest was a little disappointing.