OT: The beer thread

belzebuth-13.jpg

i tried it last week in a beer academy bar and loved it..

nice taste and wild!!!

Last night bought 2 more Stone XI and a Ruination. I still had 1 XI left, so I need to either continue making these last or buy more before they're gone. Luckily the local grocery store has about 20 cases left (at least) so i have time to grab a few more.

Yeah, lots of strong stuff out there nowadays. Check out these offerings:

Avery Brewing - The Maharaja (9.8%) and one of my personal favorites
Stone Double Bastard (10%)
Rogue I2PA (9.5%)
Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA (9.5%)
And, since I still have one in my fridge, Stone's X at 10% ABV.

As far as IIPAs go, I think the 120-minute from Dogfish Head wins at 20% ABV though! As it says on its label, it is THE Imperial India Pale Ale.

Where can I obtain such fine strong IPA's? Is the best place to look online?

Dammit, now I'm thirsty. :kickass:

My best suggestion would be to find either a store that specializes in craft brews or even some supermarkets cater more towards the smaller breweries. If you have Hagens/Top Foods in your area, those usually have some of the better beers. Also, i hear Whole Foods has a good selection.

Where can I obtain such fine strong IPA's? Is the best place to look online?

Dammit, now I'm thirsty. :kickass:

Check the brewery websites first to see if they are available in your area. If not, you may be in a predicament such as I am - I make a trek once a year up to Colorado to find beers not available here in Albuquerque. It's a long drive, but well worth it. Especially when I find Worldwide Stout at Bubbles.

As far as IIPAs go, I think the 120-minute from Dogfish Head wins at 20% ABV though! As it says on its label, it is THE Imperial India Pale Ale.

I read on their website that the 120-minute IIPA has 450 calories!!! That's in a normal sized bottle too. That' insane!

http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Limited_Edition_Beers/120_Minute_IPA/15/index.htm

Oh, as for specialty stores, they're hard to come by for me. This is a state of few microbrews so they don't give to much of a crap, not like when I lived in the NorthWest. I think the best bet for me will just be the largest chain stores I can find like MGM Liquors. They had Rogue IIPA that you mentioned. Does anyone else in my neck of the woods (soon to be frozen neck of the woods) have any tips?

Try this one on for size (5 gallon batch):

14 lbs British 2-row
3 lbs Munich
.5 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 lbs Victory
.5 lbs Carapils
1/8 lb roasted barley

Mash at 152 degrees until conversion is complete. Lauter to obtain approximately 7 gallons wort.
Boil 75 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, add 1 oz Magnum and 1 oz Chinook hops. At the 40-min mark, add 1/2 oz. Amarillo and 1/2 oz Cascade hops. Filter through 1 oz Cascade and 1 oz Amarillo in the hop back. Try Wyeast American Ale yeast (and pitch a ton). Ferment in primary at 68 degrees for at least one week or until fermentation activity stops. Rack to secondary for 1-2 weeks for clearing. Then bottle with corn sugar or DME, or keg.

OG 1.105
104 IBU (estimated)
If you can ferment down to 1.020, that would be about 11% ABV. But that may not leave enough residual sweetness to balance the hops. I'd probably shoot for 1.030-1.033 FG for that fact, and maybe look at boosting the adjuncts a little (more Crystal, for instance) to ensure there is enough sweetness left so the hop character doesn't make you gag.

Call that Mark's Special Monster. Never been brewed, but maybe I'll look into it soon.