OT: The beer thread

I just got a 12 pack of Sierra Neveda Anniversary Ale...psyched! You can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada or Brooklyn...overall, those are my favorite breweries.

The Anniversary falls between their Pale Ale and the Celebration Ale. I think it's straight Cascade on the flavor and aroma hops. Celebration has that good Chinook bite, as does the Anniverary, but the Celebration adds Centennial and Cascade in the flavor and aroma (and dry hopped as well). The Pale is a mix of Nugget (since changed to Magnum, I've heard) for the bittering, Perle for the flavor, and Cascade for the aroma. (I can make killer clones of both beers) I like the Anniversary quite a bit - it uses Chinook for the kettle addition and then straight Cascade from there out.

After concentrating on Belgians for the past few months, the only thing I would cut points on the Anniversary is a wee thin mouthfeel (but that again is because I've been sipping monster-alcohol beers, Belgian or otherwise); otherwise, it rocks.

I haven't been able to find anything from Brooklyn, but Garrett Oliver is all over the place these days.

goudale.jpg
b11455.jpg
wojak_super_mocne.jpg

Belgium has the best damn beer (Except for the crap that they serve room temp)....The variety of beer in Belgium is AMAZING!!:kickass:You go to a grocery store in the US & ya got 1 aisle of beer...In Belgiun ya got 4 aisles of beer!!
Krusty:headbang:

Um, by "crap that they serve at room temp", you then mean ~85% of Belgian beers brewed as ales?? Then what's left to be "the best damn beer"? Stella? :erk:

Dude, they only had five bottles left by the time I got there.

It is one hell of a lot of hops. Blows Ruination out of the water on that end.

Make sure it's warmed sufficiently. It was a wee tough to drink cold. The hops just slam you. But once it warms, the malt balances it well enough.

Overall review: :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:½ out of :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Dude, there were only five bottles left by the time I got there. They're supposed to get more Tuesday though.

It is one hell of a lot of hops. Blows Ruination out of the water on that end.

Make sure it's warmed sufficiently. It was a wee tough to drink cold. The hops just slam you. But once it warms, the malt balances it well enough.

Overall review:

The Anniversary falls between their Pale Ale and the Celebration Ale. I think it's straight Cascade on the flavor and aroma hops. Celebration has that good Chinook bite, as does the Anniverary, but the Celebration adds Centennial and Cascade in the flavor and aroma (and dry hopped as well). The Pale is a mix of Nugget (since changed to Magnum, I've heard) for the bittering, Perle for the flavor, and Cascade for the aroma. (I can make killer clones of both beers) I like the Anniversary quite a bit - it uses Chinook for the kettle addition and then straight Cascade from there out.

After concentrating on Belgians for the past few months, the only thing I would cut points on the Anniversary is a wee thin mouthfeel (but that again is because I've been sipping monster-alcohol beers, Belgian or otherwise); otherwise, it rocks.

I haven't been able to find anything from Brooklyn, but Garrett Oliver is all over the place these days.

Having an Anniversary now...yummy. I prefer the Celebration...you just can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada. I need to find some Bigfoot!!!

Belgians are in vogue right now...I like to stick with USA microbrews.

Get Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout...that's an order!!! you will flip for this! and it's the time of year for it.

try all styles of beers and get aquainted with the styles...figure out what kind of styles you guys like and I'm sure you will find gems out there.

at the moment these are my favorite beers in the type of style that they are....

Lager: Pretty Much don't like them
Pils: Prima Pils (victory)
Pale Ale: Double Dog Pale (Flying Dog)
Nut Browns: Green Flash, Samuel smith
Amber: Boont Amber (Anderson Valley)
Reds: Hop Head red (green flash), Red Rocket (bear republic), Red Seal (North Coast), Shark Bite (port Brewing)
IPA: Hop 15 (port brewing), Hopsickle (moylan's), Maharaja (avery), Green Flash IPA, Avery IPA, Houblon Chouffe (Mcchouffe)
Porter: (oaked) Gonzo Imperial (flying dog), (oaked) Stone smoked porter,
Stouts: Old Viscocity (port brewing), Old Rasputin (North Coast), Stone Russian Imperial, Speedway (Alesmith), Oatmeal (Samuel Smith)
Whites: Ommnigang Whitte, White Rascal (avery), Wittekerke,
Heff: Moylan's triple weizen, Blue Star (north coast)
Blends: Aventinus
Belgian Singles: Wiktappatter, Rochefort 6
Belgian Doubles: Borther David's Double (Anderson Valley), Rochefort 8, Westmalle Double, St Bernardus 8
Belgian Triples: Rochefort 10, Golden Monkey (victory),
Belgian Quadruples: Victory 12, St Bernardus abt 12, Allagash 4

so many other notable beers out there and other styles that I didn't even mention, but since you guys seem interested, please try one of these beers!

btw: I went to Stone's 11th anniversary party; envy me :)

Tonight it's Spaten Octoberfest and Doghead Fish 90 Minute IPA...maybe the finest IPA 've tasted...at least from the USA...certainly the strongest at 9%...delicious delerium!

Not quite the strongest, but all the same a good IPA, Michael. The 120-Minute is quite higher, and then there's Stone and Avery out there as well with gobs of alcohol. They're mostly tabbed as Imperial IPAs these days - extreme versions of an Americanized British concept. Go figure.

Not quite the strongest, but all the same a good IPA, Michael. The 120-Minute is quite higher, and then there's Stone and Avery out there as well with gobs of alcohol. They're mostly tabbed as Imperial IPAs these days - extreme versions of an Americanized British concept. Go figure.

Stronger IPA's? Wow...I'll have to look for those. Didn't know they had a 120 minute. Right now my head is telling me that they're the strongest!:lol:

Yeah, lots of strong stuff out there nowadays. Check out these offerings:

Avery Brewing - The Maharaja (9.8%) and one of my personal favorites
Stone Double Bastard (10%)
Rogue I2PA (9.5%)
Three Floyds Dreadnaught IPA (9.5%)
And, since I still have one in my fridge, Stone's X at 10% ABV.

As far as IIPAs go, I think the 120-minute from Dogfish Head wins at 20% ABV though! As it says on its label, it is THE Imperial India Pale Ale.

It's all about Strongbow or Blackthorn. It's like sweet beer. Rum is good, too, but that's not beer. However, where else would we talk about hard liquor on this board? Don't tell me you guys don't dig the hard shit. I know you Scandinavians drink absinthe like it's water. Anyway, we'd have to start a separate thread called OT: The Hard Liquor thread, which would be lame. Let's just rename this thread OT: Hitting the Sauce thread. Hey I have an idea. I'm making a poll.