OT: The Dark Knight

A7

Live to Win
Feb 9, 2008
Makati, Philippines
www.myspace.com
I can't believe it'll be one week before The Dark Knight hits theaters. I've been waiting for this film since watching Batman Begins three years ago. Of course, most of the publicity's been on Heath Ledger's death (God rest his soul). As a matter of fact, rumors have been spreading that his role as the Joker may earn him a posthumous Oscar nomination.

Since it's the same production team and cast (except for Maggie Gyllenhaal, who replaces Katie Holmes), I have no doubts that this film will rock. It's just a matter of whether or not it's better than Iron Man, though...

I heard Heath got so involved in the Joker role that it led him to his death. Don't know if that's true though.

The Dark Knight looks superb. I can't wait.

I wish someone would make a film on the original Dark Knight Returns comic book by Frank Miller, that I was so way into in 1989. Possibly the greatest super hero graphic novel of all time. So incredibly dark. Someone needs to make that a movie of that. Remember when Batman has that greusome fight with Superman?

I have my tickets for the midnight screening at the Cineramadome in Hollyweird. I CAN'T WAIT. (we were told by a theater employee that Christian Bale and/or Chris Nolan may show to intro the screening). The Arclight will also have the BatPod over the weekend along with other props.

Have you been following the viral promo campaign mounted for this movie? Also, Gotham Knights is out on DVD.

http://gothamcablenews.com/ - lots of backstory and no spoilers

http://www.thegothamtimes.com/

http://thehahahatimes.com/

http://ibelieveinharveydent.com/

these are just a few... there are MANY more.

Oh yes... me too :). I'll be at the Arclight Cineramadome in Hollywood :). Assigned seating so no waiting in line. I'm SOOOO glad it is not at the Chinese (I'd have to miss my Wing Chun Kung Fu class)... Also, we were told by a reliable source that someone involved in the film (Christian Bale or Chris Nolan) would introduce the screening... The Iron Man midnight screening @ the same theater was introduced by Robert Downey Jr. and Jon Favreau... so it is not too far fetched :D

Have any of you read Frank Miller's graphic novel, The Dark Night Returns? Best shit ever!

Now this board is starting to get a little ultra nerdy. We got a Star Trek thread and now we are getting Batman better than sex. Next we are going to have contests who waited on line the longest to get an iPhone.

Have any of you read Frank Miller's graphic novel, The Dark Knight Returns? Best shit ever!

I have that graphic novel, but I never got a chance to read it. Will do so after I clear all of the boxes in the garage.

Now this board is starting to get a little ultra nerdy. We got a Star Trek thread and now we are getting Batman better than sex.

I just got back from the theaters, and I will say this - The Dark Knight is not just a masterpiece, it's a life-changing experience. Ledger deserves that posthumous Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

As a matter of fact, I'm watching it again tonight - this time, on IMAX.

Next we are going to have contests on who waited on line the longest to get an iPhone.

Well, I didn't (I could care less about cell phones), but this guy did:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Dark Knight Returns, Death in the Family and The Killing Joke are all must read graphic novels for Batman fans. Death in the Family is when Robin died.

What tossers wait on line for a phone? I mean its beyond nerd. Beyond geek! All those phones are pointless man. Most people just need a basic phone. Who needs to be plugged in to The Matrix 24/7?

Heading out in about 15 minutes to see it at the IMAX...should be a orgasmically visual experience.

Ledger. Fucking brilliant. It has nothing to do with the fact he died, his performance in this film is the single best performance since Denzel Washington's in Glory (for which he did NOT get the Oscar he so richly deserved).

Ledger. Fucking brilliant. It has nothing to do with the fact he died, his performance in this film is the single best performance since Denzel Washington's in Glory (for which he did NOT get the Oscar he so richly deserved).

I couldn't agree more, and the critics would still rave about his performance if he were still alive. As a matter of fact, after watching the film, I had completely forgotten all of the previous portrayals of The Joker. Even the one by Jack Nicholson.

And let's not forget Aaron Eckhart's outstanding performance as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. Billy Dee Williams and Tommy Lee Jones have nothing on this guy.

Chris Nolan has hit another home run with this one. I was lucky to get midnight screening tickets @ the Cineramadome in Hollywood. We had LOTS of jokers running around, TV stations, people giving away freebies. It was a good night...

Heath Ledger gave a disturbingly brilliant performance. Aaron Eckhardt, outstanding. Michael Caine, perfect... etc.

One minor complaint: did anyone else find Batman's voice annoying? I know it is supposed to be distinct from Bruce Wayne's, but at times it seemed to me that Bale was struggling to get the words out (even when he wasn't angry).

It would be a shame for the Academy to not recognize Ledger for his legendary performance, and Nolan for his outstanding direction at the awards ceremony next year.

Oh yeah... if Nolan or Bale were there, they didn't show their faces.

Who's going to Comic-Con? I'll be volunteering on Saturday and Sunday (see ya then!)

Did you guys see the Dogtown Z boys film? Heath did an amazing job in that too.

I bet one day someone will make The Dark Knight Returns movie like the graphic novel when Batman is so fed up, he just kills people instead of taking them to prison. Drives a tank style batmobile and just kicks Ass and takes names. Its coming one day.