Other Gigs

Hm, what can I say... The singer *really* doesn't fit.

Saw them in Plovdiv last month, the day before the awesome Opeth gig in the Roman theathre. Never been much of an Apocalyptica fan, though they're usually fun live. Apocalyptica with a singer is another band. To put it mildly, I wasn't very positively impressed.

Steven Wilson is coming to Sofia in April. I suspect this is going to be quite something.:OMG:

Well... I seriously love the Apoboys, but this gig made me wanna whoop their arses with their own bows. I know a lot of the old fan base skipped the tour b/c they don't like Mr. Perez. I hope the Finns learn a lesson or two from it...

I'm still trying to make up my mind whether or not to get tix for Black Sabbath. There'll only be one concert in Germany and I guess I should grab this last opportunity...

Opeth 25th Anniversary Show at the LA Orpheum this Saturday. Had been kinda meh about it leading up, but am starting to feel a sense of excitement settling in as we get closer to it. Saturday's show has been sold out for ages and they are close to selling out a second show the next evening. Should make for a great atmosphere even if everyone is seated.

the-orpheum-theatre_los-angeles_08-05-14_21_53e12a9671f82.jpg

On Nov 2nd I'll fulfill my biggest dream since 1986 - EUROPE live @ Astra, Berlin.
25c35eaeb0fb9da776e5a54c9fdc430caa55a22.gif

Make sure not to miss the warm-up act. Vintage Caravan are not just cute beyond hope but also, and more importantly, an awesome live act. Saw them three times this year and each gig was great. Last month I also had the chance to interview them, which further corroborated my extremely positive impression.
Thumbs_up.gif

The Opeth show at the Orpheum was a very cool show despite the second half being interrupted a bit by some technical difficulties. Joakim Svalberg's keys lost power three or four times during the last quarter of the show and Fredrik Åkesson's guitar had at least one short or broken string that had him signaling furiously for a guitar swap during Master's Apprentice right before they cut for the finale.

"Most bands these days sound just like they do on the record. That's because they are playing the fucking record," says Åkerfeld, with typical understated charm at some point during the technical glitches.

Other than the equipment malfunctions, though, it was a lovely night. The band had their sound dialed in for the theater, meaning that we could hear all of the instruments and vocals for a change, which is a good thing when the band is playing something as subtle and full of nuance as the Ghost Reveries album. The first half of the show, playing through that album in its entirety, was beautiful and near flawlessly executed, and the music carried the show despite the all-seated venue. For once the crowd seemed in-tune with Opeth's prettier, mellow side, cheering their appreciation for the delicate keyboard parts as loudly as for the more brutal moments. It flipped the standard for the usual Opeth show -- not surprising since the show had sold out early and at least half of the crowd was wearing Opeth shirts from the Ghost Reveries era or later. Not a lot of casual fans to be found there.

Although...during the brief section where Mikael was asking for requests from the crowd and playing the snippets that he (and sometimes the rest of the band) remembered, it seemed that the crowd did not know all the words to Harvest or to some of the other classic Opeth sing-along tunes. It's not that the crowd was shy -- L.A. crowds are never shy -- they were happy to banter and yell, they just seemed unprepared to do anything *as a group* or to know the lyrics to the clean passages. It struck me as odd, considering how into the show they were otherwise.

The second half was heavy on songs from the more recent albums, which is to be expected when only two of the band members on stage were in the band during the recording of Ghost Reveries. The more recent songs all sounded great, though, and you could see and hear the way that they all worked together on them, listening for subtle shifts in delivery and responding to each other's input. What they have lost in sheer power they have made up for in becoming more tasteful and playing with greater musicality. You could hear the connection with the newer stuff and it carried over to the crowd.

Not quite the best Opeth show I have ever seen -- hard to top the sweltering hot show I went to during the Watershed tour when they were on the road with Enslaved -- but a very special and beautiful show nonetheless. Three solid hours of Opeth. Fuck yeah, I'll take it.

12140742_10153584102137850_5425476720411991064_n.jpg

Aww, nice. And all of that in such a splendid location, what's not to love.

hard to top the sweltering hot show I went to during the Watershed tour when they were on the road with Enslaved...

...speaking of which, saw them a couple of times this weekend, less than three hours in total though. Would have expected somewhat longer sets on a headlining club tour, and more interesting setlists (there was nothing I hadn't seen at the festival gigs this year, but at least they varied a bit from one night to the next), but that's complaining at a high level, because Enslaved simply don't fail. :D Bringing out a little female choir for "Daylight" was particularly neat - they had to line up at the side of the stage though, for lack of space. I was surprised at the small size of both clubs; after all the awards they've won and the Tall Ships thing last year, I kind of imagined Enslaved to enjoy a similar status in their home country than Amorphis do here. Well, maybe they do in Bergen and Haugesund, but definitely not in Oslo, which is a weird place anyway. Harsh contrasts between rich and poor, no metalheads to be seen except at the show itself (which was in some dingy suburb from which it was nigh impossible to get back to the center at night) and a strangely forbidding atmosphere, but maybe it was just me feeling this way after coming from friendly little Hamar, which was so much more like the Norway I remember from earlier visits. The crowd was better at the Oslo gig, though, gotta give them that. On the other side, the atmosphere in Hamar was far more relaxed, people kept hanging out drinking there long after the gig was over (and would actually talk to a shy-ish stranger), not to mention that Ivar and Herbrand actually mingled with the lesser mortals before and after the show. The hug from the latter at the end of the evening would alone have been worth the flight, although Grutle handing out free beers at both shows comes right after that as far as special benefits go. :kickass:

A summary of the Hamar gig (I was right up front but too far to the right to be featured in the video - maybe less embarrassing that way ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure not to miss the warm-up act. Vintage Caravan are not just cute beyond hope but also, and more importantly, an awesome live act. Saw them three times this year and each gig was great. Last month I also had the chance to interview them, which further corroborated my extremely positive impression.
Thumbs_up.gif

Oh, I will... A friend of mine was at the Europe gig in Hamburg earlier this week and he already warned me to bring ear plugs for the support b/c they are "DAMN!!! loud". Sounds promising to me. As do the videos on YouTube and your interview. Kiitos for that!

Alright... The Vintage Caravan were damn loud and I think they most probably got the most energetic bass player of all times. Talked to them after the show at the merch stall and they said they'll be in Berlin again Nov 29th supporting Avatarium from Sweden. I promised to come and volunteered my best friend to tag along. I must confess it seriously itched to confiscate their beer bottles, mind. They made me feel so damn OLD.

As for Europe... I love them. They're like good wine, aged to perfection. Joey is a beast on stage. I was in speechless awe. The one big downer was, that they seriously played in front of like 300 ppl. Europe sure deserved better. They took it like the professionals, that they are. They truly rocked the house down, but I couldn't help but feel kind of embarrassed.

I bought the first tickets for 2016... I'll be seeing In This Moment in january and Reckless Love + Santa Cruz in march. I want tickets for the annual open air season finale of the Berlin Philharmonic in june badly, but it seems like it's sold out already...

I'd put a few cents on Amorphis being the other headliner (or direct support, slightly depending on band availability), the timing is pretty good.

EDIT: Ha, missed by a week :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Eurynome
I'd put a few cents on Amorphis being the other headliner (or direct support, slightly depending on band availability), the timing is pretty good.

EDIT: Ha, missed by a week :D

I knew since last month that Amorphis will be playing on April 2, so I'm really curious what the other headliner of the festival will be.
Either way, April will be a very good month for metal in Sofia. Or at least for my taste in metal :tickled:

Went to see the Tarja Christmas tour thingy. I wasn't planning to, but a friend asked me to review it.
Tarja is in Bulgaria for the umpteenth time and still sells out venues.
It was exceptionally pleasant.
Kudos to Max Lilja (shit, it looks like the man got even taller since the last time I saw him) for the amazing arrangements of otherwise tired Christmas songs. The instrumental version of "Little Drummer Boy" is definitely worth noting. Too bad the audience everywhere is so polite to comply with Tarja's request to keep their smartphones at bay until the encore and we don't have a video of this.