Other underground music

hibernal_dream

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Jul 10, 2001
Grave with a view
When ever there is a poll like "favorite non-metal band" or "most different band", I see mainly mainstream or well-known bands like Radiohead, Tool, or The Tea Party or Nick Cave mentioned. Now as we all know, the best types of metal are found deep underground, like Opeth, yet apparently this doesn't apply to other forms of music?

Although I enjoy listening to all music, I believe there must be such bands, like Opeth, that exist in popular forms of music (r&b, hip hop, techno, alternative, pop) but have only been discovered by few. I want to know if anyone listens to any other genre of music other than metal and knows any good obscure music, that an Opeth fan would relish.

Thanks

I'd hardly say that opeth is deep underground...these guys are getting pretty big within the metal scene. too unique for amateur ears? what does that mean. that shit cracks me up. I think radiohead is pretty unique and they are quite popular, deservedly so..their last three albums have been really good.
There is a pretty big indie rock scene in the states that is pretty underground. i'm too on top of it, but i have a few friends are totally into it. i could get band names from them if you like.

Originally posted by hibernal_dream
When ever there is a poll like "favorite non-metal band" or "most different band", I see mainly mainstream or well-known bands like Radiohead, Tool, or The Tea Party or Nick Cave mentioned. Now as we all know, the best types of metal are found deep underground, like Opeth, yet apparently this doesn't apply to other forms of music?

Although I enjoy listening to all music, I believe there must be such bands, like Opeth, that exist in popular forms of music (r&b, hip hop, techno, alternative, pop) but have only been discovered by few, and are too unique for amateur ears. I want to know if anyone listens to any other genre of music other than metal and knows any good obscure music, that an Opeth fan would relish.

Thanks

I think the word "underground" has lost all meaning with the use of Internet technology as a distribution tool, where an Ulver mp3 (just heard some tracks from Perdition City and Kveldsjanger, and I'm quite impressed) is as easy to find as a Radiohead album...

I think the word "underground" has lost all meaning with the use of Internet technology as a distribution tool, where an Ulver mp3 (just heard some tracks from Perdition City and Kveldsjanger, and I'm quite impressed) is as easy to find as a Radiohead album...

You'd still have to know who Ulver were to be able to search for an MP3 in the first place. It's likely that the mainstream Radiohead fan wouldn't know the band even existed.

Lee B

I keep on saying it but hey ;) A SILVER MOUNT ZION. On Constellation records and only easy 2 get in canada, but kinda like godspeed u black emporer - post rock, sorta like later radiohead except more experimental. Also Raemon are good, but I don't think the average Opeth fan would like them. Other bands that are good, but I don't think metal fans would like are - Cry cry cry (the kid is about their only good song), Love is colder than death, love spirals downwards, black tape for a blue girl, this mortal coil (popular but still very good), sleep deprivation (only if u like harcore techno), force of hate, dark phycosis and finaly ne1 heard of Alas? Really good vocals!

Most of those aren't deep underground tho, just not hugely popular when I think they should be

This is a tough post to answer. In all honesty, most of the metal I listen to is totally obscure to most around me. No one that I know has ever heard of the bands I listen to such as Opeth, Nevermore, Old Mans Child, Meshuggah etc etc until I introduce the music to them.

Also, most bands local to your scene which you like are obscure to the rest of the world. Has anyone heard of Tea House of the Almighty?

So I guess most of what I listen to is obscure.

Here's a band I find amazing, but I don't think I've seen them mentioned on this messageboard yet, so maybe they're obscure to most here? - Luca Turilli