Overpopulation

Silent Song said:
i disagree for all the reasons said above. when you cease to be, you lose all control as control no longer applies.

I'd rather say you don't have control, simply because there is no you. This is an inevitability. That is, no matter what, you'll cease to be. Whether you choose it or it naturally happens, it still is. My point is that this control over existentiality will be gone for you, anyway.

Suicide is a display of control because when it's over, you haven't relinquished control to anything in particular. Your being becomes non-ontic-ontological. You cease to be in the way that humans are. Your final act as this kind of entity is one of control over your being.

I think one should not feaqr death but also not seek it,suicide is for weak people who have lost their survival instinct.I myself have thought of suicide several times but my love for myself and the feeling that I have yet things to fulfill in my life keeps me from doing it

I consider myself capable of deciding who is fucked up enough not to live among my people, because I love my people. I don't have a problem offing pedophiles, ripoffs, retards, Jews, crackheads, rapists and other criminals.

how the hell did I miss this thread???
something bad needs to happen, millions and millions of people need to die. Theres way to many people on this planet.

I was talking to a guy at work on friday and he was pissed because we arent out killing sharks because people are being attacked in Florida. He couldnt understand thats the fucking sharks water, if you go into it, you could be attacked.
This isnt "our" planet, we are tearing it apart. Bring on the death.

infoterror said:
I consider myself capable of deciding who is fucked up enough not to live among my people, because I love my people. I don't have a problem offing pedophiles, ripoffs, retards, Jews, crackheads, rapists and other criminals.
I find it very ironic that you talk all the time about dogmatism and stupidity yet fail to realize that Jews were among the European intellectual elite before the holocaust. Ashkenaz Jews' average IQ is higher than the "Indo-European" average. Their contribution to science, philosophy, literature and music is huge even though they only make up a very little part of the population. Your anti-semitism is dogmatic and stupid - you should prove that you are superior and not come up with all kinds of dumb conspiracy theories like ZOG or media control. Even your hero, Nietzsche thought so (see Beyond Good and Evil, 250-251: "The Jews, however, are beyond all doubt the strongest,
toughest, and purest race at present living in Europe..."

Majesty said:
I think one should not fear death but also not seek it, suicide is for weak people who have lost their survival instinct. I myself have thought of suicide several times but my love for myself and the feeling that I have yet things to fulfill in my life keeps me from doing it
this is more than a sentence fragment, which i am in agreement with. what good is suicide? it is self-defeat. you may claim it is the victory over the self, but if there is no self afterwards, what good is victory?

Silent Song said:
this is more than a sentence fragment, which i am in agreement with. what good is suicide? it is self-defeat. you may claim it is the victory over the self, but if there is no self afterwards, what good is victory?

You're selectively responding to my argument. How depressing. At no point did I say that suicide is good because it is victory over self. You argued that it was "losing," which I disagree with, so I responded. To simplify the matter, I believe life isn't worth living for the sake of continuing to breathe. When it ceases to be so, ending it is not a sin, nor a failure.

Majesty said:
I think one should not feaqr death but also not seek it,suicide is for weak people who have lost their survival instinct.I myself have thought of suicide several times but my love for myself and the feeling that I have yet things to fulfill in my life keeps me from doing it

I'm a human, not a cat or a snake. What is this "survival instinct" you speak of? Part being what I am is that I am able to make decisions contra-materialism. I'm not a slave to "survival instinct" or physical urges. Calling upon this survival instinct shows that you are not willing to accept what you are.

Personally, I haven't seriously considered suicide. Life is going a decently as can be expected, I'd say.

Demiurge said:
I'm a human, not a cat or a snake. What is this "survival instinct" you speak of? Part being what I am is that I am able to make decisions contra-materialism. I'm not a slave to "survival instinct" or physical urges. Calling upon this survival instinct shows that you are not willing to accept what you are.

Personally, I haven't seriously considered suicide. Life is going a decently as can be expected, I'd say.

I do not think humans are above cats or snakes,most often humans are worse than animals. We are all slaves to our instincts, whether we want to think so or not

Majesty said:
I do not think humans are above cats or snakes,most often humans are worse than animals. We are all slaves to our instincts, whether we want to think so or not

Human being is a different kind, hence, suicide is possible. Above or below doesn't make any difference to me. Humans aren't slaves to biological urges like others. I can abstain from sex for philosophical reasons, kill myself, etc.

Majesty said:
Rather give up than fight = Weak
Weak survival instinct = Weak

Having the courage to end one's own life despite the natural fear of death = strong, not weak. It doesn't mean they have a weak survival instinct, it means they're strong enough to overcome that said instinct.

The worth of suicide is relative to its context, just like the worth of life. I expect the Christians to be throwing out absolutes here, but nobody else should be.

The root of this discussion goes back to value judgments, as ever. When should a person want to live? What should be most important to a person? What mindset should be encouraged?

Majesty said:
i disagree. we have the willpower to overcome instinct.

Gallantry over Docility said:
The worth of suicide is relative to its context, just like the worth of life. I expect the Christians to be throwing out absolutes here, but nobody else should be.

The root of this discussion goes back to value judgments, as ever. When should a person want to live? What should be most important to a person? What mindset should be encouraged?
absolutes are dangerous ground. an extremely small margin of things i believe to be absolute. to act otherwise often is to pass general judgment on a specific problem, which is not always wise.

survival should not be most important, i think. it goes beyond that. more important should be the nature and quality of life, for no one knows how long they've got to live it. we should instead focus on making what time we have to be the best we can. thus when someone is suicidal, i say improve your quality of life the best you can, not end it. to end life should only be undertaken in the case of a braindead patient, etc. someone who is no longer alive except by definition. it is a decision that takes a great deal of thought to arrive at, and should be considered carefully by those involved.

when should a person want to live? as long as they are capable of wanting, i say.