P2P TORRENTS AND THE EVIL THEY DO

People can go on and on about how "illegal" downloading in and so and so forth and about "stealing" this and "stealing" that.

In the eyes of the law, this is not "theft" or "stealing", which is a criminal offense. This is "copyright infringement", which is actually a civil matter (thus even if I admitted to the FBI that I downloaded music off the internet, there is not a damn thing they could do.). Yes, you can spin it around as much as you want by saying something like "yeah, but it is still stealing in my mind, and blah, blah, blah), but that is not how the actual law works (although attempts have been made to change it, though).

I just wanted to point out that while you've got the right idea (90+% of time time we're talking about civil legal action), it's not true that this kind of copyright infringement can't be a criminal offense. Examples:

[this link was posted previously by someone else]
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...eye-patch-swashbuckles-back-into-senate.html:
"Since the No Electronic Theft Act passed in the late 1990s, the Department of Justice has actually had the authority to bring criminal cases against file-swappers under certain situations; to date, it has not filed a single one."

The guy running Oink was arrested on criminal charges:
http://www.mtv.ca/news/article.jhtml?id=4685
"This site has been closed as a result of a criminal investigation by IFPI [International Federation of the Phonographic Industry], BPI [British Phonographic Industry], Cleveland [U.K.] police and the Fiscal Investigation Unit of the Dutch police, into suspected illegal music distribution."

While I understand that the general public tends to think that "illegal" means against the criminal law code, it's not limited to that. The civil law system has just as much force as the criminal law system, it just has different remedies and different people bringing suit/charges.

You may be surprised to learn that while theft and stealing are criminal laws as you say, they are also civil laws. If you steal from me, I can have the cops press criminal charges and I can bring civil charges. Most people don't realize it, but most criminal charges have civil counterparts that can be pursued by victims.

It looks like this thread is beginning to die down… (maybe?)

It is a way to connect on a different level. We are realistic with our feet firmly planted on planet earth, and we don’t expect to be raking in the cash now or anytime in the future. However, the only thing we would really ever want is to be compensated for our services (i.e. the work and expenses of creating the music that is available). In order to continue doing this, that is the one thing that has to happen. Sure it would be nice to at least make a decent living off of playing music, but in this day and age, that is probably not going to happen.

Some labels are cutting back on their advances, or don’t give advances at all due to the high amount of piracy and drop in sales due to a flooded market. How is a band supposed to make the music if the very lable that is supposed to support them can’t afford to?

Um. When a record label says they cannot afford to pay you an advance, I hope you hear that before you sign a contract.

There is a way to make a living making music; make the shitty music that is played on the terrestrial radio today, and learn how to dance like an idiot at the same time you sing. I write fiction stories in my spare time but I do not try to make a living selling them because there is not enough money in short fiction to support a family.

I’m not here to sway judgments on the issue, but rather give my insight as one that makes music. For one thing, it breaks my heart to read here, or anywhere else, people saying in a very matter-of-fact tone, that (media piracy) is just the way it is now and to move on… or go the way of the Dodo. I have a hard time with that, especially when I look at the costs incurred from our recent album that just came out. How am I as an artist supposed to sit back and take that? Am I now obligated to create music just for the sake of some people feeling they deserve it and I should bend over and take it because that is just the way it is these days? That is a very disappointing and bleak view… should I also go to work everyday without pay and smile about it because it’s expected from my boss?

When I got out of college, I thought I could become the next Great American Novelist. I spent about 2 years writing stories and sending them out for publication. I made some money, but not enough to pay the bills. It was disheartening to get a full time job because of my love for writing was subjugated by my need to eat.

I am still a writer, and make a damn good living at it--only it is tired commercialized crap that makes me hate life sometimes. But I have a wife and kids and a home to maintain. So what I am saying is, I feel your pain. I cannot make a living at what I love due to the pay scale for short fiction. You say you are having monetary issues in your craft as well. The only difference between you and I is the reason for the financial difficulty.

I write the commercial crap to pay the bills. I write short fiction because of my love for telling stories--I just do not hold a guitar and sing those stories to a crowd. When I found that I could not make a living writing fiction, I turned what I love into a hobby, and went about making a buck any (legal!) way I could. We are human beings, not ants--incredibly talented persons will find other outlets if they cannot make a living in a band. I am sorry if that sounds harsh, but it can be liberating as well.

I doubt my mortgage company, or my daughter and wife, would find that to be a viable excuse. Of course that is an extreme example, but I just want to make my point. For me, that is months and months of hard work and money, and to know that it is just being handed out makes it difficult to digest, and brings into question, “why am I doing this”? Obviously because I love it, and with the few that enjoy our music and buy our albums, it does make it worth while. But sometimes, it does bother us to know we are being taken advantage of, especially with the work that is put into it. If we had any inkling that being a musician meant you were giving away your talent as charity, none of us would have even bothered.

Yes you would have--you would still make music because you have talent. You cannot deny or get away from what you are. Unfortunately, the world in which we live is making it tougher right now to succeed. Musicians have paid their dues for hundreds of years. Your dues are new, I give you that...but they are still dues you have to pay to be part of your world.

And you have the right to complain! I am hoping that within the venting comes some solutions.

This isn’t the tape trading days, it’s not 5 or 10 friends sharing the album for free with the possible intention to buy it down the road, it is in the thousands, and a good percentage probably don’t have those same intentions, nor do they care what the long term effects are.

Our new album is the first album of ours to end up on every single P2P site out there, which is strange being that we have three albums prior that never made it onto the torrent sites. So all of a sudden we became relevant enough to steal from? I don’t know if I should be complimented or insulted.

I guess you can have it both ways--as an artist you want people to hear your songs, and as a businessman, you want to be paid. One would think the "artist" side of you is quite happy that your material is being heard far and wide.

There are no security measures that anyone on either side of the coin is happy with. Right now, there is no control or standard set to prevent the whole world from stealing your music, and I think that is what frightens me most, and brings into question how long we will be around, as well as many other bands that we all love. In fact, Glenn’s idea is one of the best options I have heard ever. It is the closest, most logical thing I have read anywhere.

You cannot make everyone happy all the time! The state of the industry right now is that it tries to react instead of act. It amazes me that the incredibly talented people in this business have yet to get together and come up with some strategy to get out of this dilemma--suing people is not going to work, trying to convince jackasses to stop downloading is not going to work, and giving up because of the pain of transition is not going to work.

And for the record - Anyone who thinks a band can recoup recoding costs by extensive touring and the selling of merchandise at live shows, just to make up for the loss in monotary royalties due to the growing rate of illegal downloads.... is severely misinformed. Especially for the bands in our position. (day jobs, family, ect. ect)

I just hope you keep at it, and maybe one day hit it big. If not, try to keep your love for the craft separate from your expectations of success--given this climate you would be hard pressed to give up your day job--but guys like me appreciate all you do.

im just gonna relate a story...last year this whole debate came up on metal sludge...saw people using the same arguments...fact is most people just dont want to pay for anything...had one poster say all bands should give the music away for free and then tour to recoup their costs...and hope people bought shirts...little do they realize that touring costs money...if you have a life you cant afford to get in a beatup 70s van and go cross country with no advertising etc and hope people show up at your shows all the while hoping your landlord doesnt pitch your shit out on the curb...the fact is this...professional musicians...this is the way they make a living just like any other job...but somehow paying for a burger at mcdonalds is different than music?!?...go check the news...last week radiohead offered their latest album for free download asking people to pay what they thought it was worth to them...the vast majority didnt pay at all...downloading and p2p has taken any value out of the music at all...im sure somewhere in here someone said that it was all the greedy record companies fault...im not saying they dont share part of the blame but the biggest problem is straight human nature...people will take something for free even if they dont want it...can i offer an answer?...nope...it'll take someone much smarter than me to come up with that...as a sidenote...its interesting to see fan sites and references to torquestra in peoples' blogs from all over the world and i think we've sold less than 10 cds...anyway...the only outcome i see in the forseeable future is people who do this will just stop eventually and all the people will want to know where the music went...well...for all those that believed you should have gotten it for free...look in the mirror...it takes time,energy and money to write, rehearse, record and all the other stuff that goes into a song...takes money to tour...even when devane played out it usually cost us money one way or the other...was it worth it?...sure we had a great time...but looking at the current state of the industry i'm not sure its worth it to try and make a living off of music at this point in time...so i'll just kick back and continue writing and recording what i want to for me and those who enjoy it...*jumps down off of soapbox*...lol...d.m.

As of this morning I found out a few torrent P2P sites were just shutdown. The CRIA shut down demonoid(even though at this point it is only rumors of the CRIA and that they may only be changing servers or something). I also heard isohunt and I believe bittorrent were shut down, not by the CRIA(I think).

Also, at the time of a lot of these sites being shut down, I was about to start downloading a few cds for my mother-in-law who just moved in with us. Years ago her ex-husband sold all of her cds to numerous pawn shops(in order to get his drugs(crack), so she lost her whole entire collection, and a whole lot of the cds are not easy to come by so I was going to start helping her find the songs and albums she wanted from those out of print cds she once owned and was completely out of her control that they were sold. She would buy them back if she could find them, but she has looked for 4 or 5 years and hasn't had much luck finding some of them. Being such a huge music freak she is still so pissed to this day about not having those cds. A few years back(before mp3 players) I had a cd book I took to school in my backpack(one that held about 200) and I had done that for a couple years, but one day some asshole stole it. That was years ago and in the past year is when I started downloading, so I was finally able to replace most of those cds with a digital counterpart. I don't have the actual cd, but at least I still had the case and books.

I know a few of you were saying that you have your cds on display and such. I am proud of my collection, but to me it is for listening to. I took all my cds and put them in books and packed away all the cases and books and have them in my storage closet. They are just to bulky and take up too much space and make it look so damned cluttered i can't take it.

If someone got into music strictly for the money, then it has to be a shitty time for them. No doubt. Long before people made money with music, people still wrote it, and still performed it, all because of their love for it. When album sales have dried up and if artists can't make money touring, then I imagine the industry will settle out for a while. Then there will be a change. The people that want to make music and for no other reason than the love of the music, they will come forward and through technology, will elevate from the street corners to global listeners. Music is never going to go away.

Back in the early days of personal computers, there were those of us that used to write small programs and sell them. Some even for commercial use if something caught on. I never made a ton at it, but it was a nice supplement to my then shitty income. As PCs got more popular, more people learned how to program, you would start getting people writing programs as "shareware". They put it out there, sometimes providing the same functionality as the stuff you sold, and if you liked it, you through them something for it. As expected, some made some money doing this. A few I knew actually did really well with this. Most made squat.

Still though, we did it because there was a need to get your ideas out there, let people see how cool your stuff was compared to everyone else. These days, even shareware has mostly gone away. Even if you come up with something amazing, some 14-yo in another country will likely see it, and write a clone of it in a week and release it for free. You can't make money with it 99% of the time, but people still do it because they have a love for it, and take the time from their lives (if they even have any) in order to get it out there. Since I can't do what I love most of the time and make money on it, I work for The Man, cranking out stuff that many use but few ever see. Not very gratifying, but pays the bills.

Continue to support the bands you love however you can. I like buying CDs directly from bands, knowing they will get more of the money than if I order off Amazon, but yet few seem to have a way for me to do this, or t-shirts... Come on guys, I know you can't come to the US and tour, but give me some way to show support. That cappy t-shirt I buy off Ebay isn't helping either of us out. If you can't tour everywhere, how about a DVD we can watch? I'm all over those.

I think for most people that is plenty cheap - unless you're a student or unemployed (or both).

I know for many years (long before MP3s and downloading) that I hardly ever bought CDs (or tapes or records) just because I didn't have very much money. Now that I make a good living, I plunk down $200+ at each ProgPower, and probably close to that throughout the year!

I find it pathetic that anyone would whine about CDs being too expensive, using that excuse to illegally download instead of actually supporting the band by buying their CD. Pathetic cheapskates are just that. Pathetic. They'd whine if the discs were $10, but they'd still fork out the big bucks for other things without the blink of an eye. $12-$15 for most CDs is too much? Bullshit! I have watched the state of this industry fall on serious hard times over the past 20 years. In the 70s people were taping their friend's albums onto cassettes instead of buying them... now it's a whole different thing that is totally out of control and nothing will stop the tsunami. Yes bands need exposure, but don't use that as an excuse. Let them have exposure by downloading ONE song and passing it on to your friends.

Bottom line: You want music? You like metal bands etc.? SUPPORT THEM FINANCIALLY! They only want to make a living providing you with great music. Is that too much to ask? And BTW before this message is over, cheapskates can go take a long walk on a short pier.

I find it pathetic that anyone would whine about CDs being too expensive, using that excuse to illegally download instead of actually supporting the band by buying their CD. Pathetic cheapskates are just that. Pathetic. They'd whine if the discs were $10, but they'd still fork out the big bucks for other things without the blink of an eye. $12-$15 for most CDs is too much? Bullshit! I have watched the state of this industry fall on serious hard times over the past 20 years. In the 70s people were taping their friend's albums onto cassettes instead of buying them... now it's a whole different thing that is totally out of control and nothing will stop the tsunami. Yes bands need exposure, but don't use that as an excuse. Let them have exposure by downloading ONE song and passing it on to your friends.

Bottom line: You want music? You like metal bands etc.? SUPPORT THEM FINANCIALLY! They only want to make a living providing you with great music. Is that too much to ask? And BTW before this message is over, cheapskates can go take a long walk on a short pier.

Coming from a CD salesman I wouldn't expect you to argue any differently.

Then again, CD sales at your 'store' go more to supporting you and the label than they ever do the band. The only reason to buy a CD(for reasons of supporting a band) over giving them some cash, is that for a band to make any future money on album sales, and to possibly even have any albums, labels and distributors need to see profits. But if you really want to -support- a band, send them a check.

This is why labels and companies likes yours should just die off. You serve little purpose. You are a middleman that takes money that otherwise should be going to the bands. I don't need you to find music, I, as the consumer, don't need you for advice on what to buy or anything else. Labels should just sell them in house (and sell them cheaper so they don't take a 'double cut' or give the 'middleman's cut' to the band. But of course they can't sell them cheaper in house right now or else all the distributors, online stores would cry about how its unfair and that they won't carry them anymore), or buy from a band directly when you can (as then they at least get to take the same middleman cut). Physical record stores used to serve a purpose, as they were basically a combination of a place to purchase, and a place to discover. This is something that 'label sites' (i.e. LaserCD) continue to at least partially serve as, and of course if they are going ot have the setup to sell their own label's CDs, they might as well carry other CDs. But of course physical sites have so much higher overhead than online 'stores', and physical stores only server a purpose so long as physically handling/seeing/wearing an object is important towards the sale (e.g. clothing, cars, furniture).

Labels continue to serve a minor purpose of helping to fund the creation of an album, but who knows for how long this will be the case.

Neil and Pirage should make a giant chart that tracks the correlation between people who download for free and those who demand absolute humility and courtesy at all times from artists.

"Fucker wouldn't give me an autograph! Doesn't he know it's people like me that made him? I'm deleting his stuff!"

Neil and Pirage should make a giant chart that tracks the correlation between people who download for free and those who demand absolute humility and courtesy at all times from artists.

"Fucker wouldn't give me an autograph! Doesn't he know it's people like me that made him? I'm deleting his stuff!"

Heh. You should see how many people join street teams, but yet have never purchased a band's albums. "OMG I support you by telling other people to buy your album, but I haven't bought it, nor bought any merchandise, nor done anything to monetarily support you!!!"

Since you obviously have zero concept of what I do, or the industry and how it really works for that matter... I'll just make a few simple observations and hopefully be able to leave it at.

Newsflash: I don't make much of a living doing this. I do it because I want to spread the word about the relatively obscure music I carry and that I enjoy. By relatively obscure I mean I don't sell many titles from bands moving several hundred thousand or millions of their releases. I'd rather see the Elvenkings and Pagans Minds etc. get ahead. And for that matter, I doubt there's many retailers making much of a living doing this, at least now. So your suggestion that we're all a bunch of greedy jerks is extremely caustic and offensive, and does nothing to give good will to this thing.

This whole industry is going through a myriad of changes in recent years, but it doesn't need to go away. It does serve a purpose. Distribution networks aren't assembled overnight, are costly to maintain, and without them the CDs wouldn't get out there to the consumers. Promotion departments take alot of time, money and effort to maintain. Fans need to be able to find the releases at someplace other than the band's site (which BTW there would be few bands releasing CDs without the label's deep pockets).

Where you get off spewing your arrogant and ignorant comments I don't know, but it's people like you (and the greed exhibited by the major labels in years past) who are the root cause for the music industry's problems. There are too many people sweating blood and too few who are greedy in this industry (at least the indy level of it) for you to be making the comments you've made.

Coming from a CD salesman I wouldn't expect you to argue any differently.

Then again, CD sales at your 'store' go more to supporting you and the label than they ever do the band. The only reason to buy a CD(for reasons of supporting a band) over giving them some cash, is that for a band to make any future money on album sales, and to possibly even have any albums, labels and distributors need to see profits. But if you really want to -support- a band, send them a check.

This is why labels and companies likes yours should just die off. You serve little purpose. You are a middleman that takes money that otherwise should be going to the bands. I don't need you to find music, I, as the consumer, don't need you for advice on what to buy or anything else. Labels should just sell them in house (and sell them cheaper so they don't take a 'double cut' or give the 'middleman's cut' to the band. But of course they can't sell them cheaper in house right now or else all the distributors, online stores would cry about how its unfair and that they won't carry them anymore), or buy from a band directly when you can (as then they at least get to take the same middleman cut). Physical record stores used to serve a purpose, as they were basically a combination of a place to purchase, and a place to discover. This is something that 'label sites' (i.e. LaserCD) continue to at least partially serve as, and of course if they are going ot have the setup to sell their own label's CDs, they might as well carry other CDs. But of course physical sites have so much higher overhead than online 'stores', and physical stores only server a purpose so long as physically handling/seeing/wearing an object is important towards the sale (e.g. clothing, cars, furniture).

Labels continue to serve a minor purpose of helping to fund the creation of an album, but who knows for how long this will be the case.

This is why labels and companies likes yours should just die off. You serve little purpose. You are a middleman that takes money that otherwise should be going to the bands. I don't need you to find music, I, as the consumer, don't need you for advice on what to buy or anything else.

Most people (that would even bother spending their money, that is) won't buy anything unless it is RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. When a band creates something themselves, what is the first thing they do? Look for distribution. Starting up a label? Distribution is probably more important than signing a decent band if the thing is going to do anything other than be a money pit.

I'll go so far as to say that distribution is the only significant difference (business-wise) between a small label and a large one.

I'm not commenting on you specifically. Its the business model of online CD retailers, and my attempt at 'forecasting'. And I do understand the economics of album sales and where the money goes. You typically 'make' more from a CD sale than the band ends up (depends heavily on their deal with their label), right? I don't think you are greedy. You have a business to run. Your cut has no impact on what the band makes under the current model. My point is that for bands to start making more per-CD sold, the industry would have to move away from selling albums through the current distribution channels, or the other processes I've talked about before would have to change (meaning how albums are funded, the industry standards for what band's make per album sale, whether the band's cut goes first to paying off all the money the label fronted to record/market/press/create merchandise/etc, or if the band/label shoudl split those costs 50/50, or if the risk on these should be on the label, or if the band should get 100% of the cut (label getting 0%), but the band is required to pay back all the above costs before they start making a dime).

There are many possible models for the industry to move towards (and in certain areas it already is, especially with small labels) to make profitting on music more likely for bands, and whoever is the band's financial backing (label/bank/entrepeneur).

Maybe Jim is right. That people won't just go to bands sights to buy their albums, and will still want places like yours to have the albums right in front of them.

But the music industry is more f'ed up than just due to album sales. The likelihood of band's making a living profit from selling an album has more to do with how the industry works, than how many albums people are purchasing. But perhaps this issue has been beaten on as much as downloading...

Since you obviously have zero concept of what I do, or the industry and how it really works for that matter... I'll just make a few simple observations and hopefully be able to leave it at.

Newsflash: I don't make much of a living doing this. I do it because I want to spread the word about the relatively obscure music I carry and that I enjoy. By relatively obscure I mean I don't sell many titles from bands moving several hundred thousand or millions of their releases. I'd rather see the Elvenkings and Pagans Minds etc. get ahead. And for that matter, I doubt there's many retailers making much of a living doing this, at least now. So your suggestion that we're all a bunch of greedy jerks is extremely caustic and offensive, and does nothing to give good will to this thing.

This whole industry is going through a myriad of changes in recent years, but it doesn't need to go away. It does serve a purpose. Distribution networks aren't assembled overnight, are costly to maintain, and without them the CDs wouldn't get out there to the consumers. Promotion departments take alot of time, money and effort to maintain. Fans need to be able to find the releases at someplace other than the band's site (which BTW there would be few bands releasing CDs without the label's deep pockets).

Where you get off spewing your arrogant and ignorant comments I don't know, but it's people like you (and the greed exhibited by the major labels in years past) who are the root cause for the music industry's problems. There are too many people sweating blood and too few who are greedy in this industry (at least the indy level of it) for you to be making the comments you've made.

It will probably last a lot longer if people continue to "steal" instead of buy albums, because that's what prevents and artists (or the label for that matter) from making any money back and being able to continue funding the creation of new albums. Since it seems the labels generally take their cut first (and the larger percentage cut), they'll most likely be the ones who will be able to afford to continue funding such ventures ... And that's if they even choose to continue funding bands who "can't" make them any money because not enough people are buying and too many are illegally downloading.

Suggestion/Question: How many bands ask for donations on their Web sites? Not just for the purchase of an item, but just because a fan might like them enough. I can think of several bands that I would support in that capacity if I saw the option available to just donate. I also like the idea of levels of sponsorship or fan club, where you purchase a "membership" and get so many CDs throughout the year and additional perks like pre-sales and such. I know some bands do this, but I don't see it advertised in this capacity nearly as frequently.

It will probably last a lot longer if people continue to "steal" instead of buy albums, because that's what prevents and artists (or the label for that matter) from making any money back and being able to continue funding the creation of new albums. Since it seems the labels generally take their cut first (and the larger percentage cut), they'll most likely be the ones who will be able to afford to continue funding such ventures ... And that's if they even choose to continue funding bands who "can't" make them any money because not enough people are buying and too many are illegally downloading.

True, but in the link I posted earlier in this thread, I argue that the business model of labels will change. I think it will be hard to even call them a record label anymore. I think they will start to appear more like banks, or possibly a model similar to start-up funding.

That is the same thing that allows people to make copies of CD's for the car, rip a CD for listening through an iPod and so forth, as much as the RIAA and their ilk does not like that ("too bad, just go buy another copy" is their official stance - don't believe me? Go read the RIAA's website).

This, in my mind, is where the RIAA loses any credibility, and just come off like greed-heads. You'd think someone with half a brain would figure out that this position is really hurting the PR side of their business, and giving ammo to the rationalization that "hey, I'm only screwing over the greedy suits, anyway."

(Note: I'm not saying I agree with that rationalization, but it's one I hear frequently.)

From the mouth that roared, Kiss' Gene Simmons:
"The record industry is in such a mess. I called for what it was when college kids first started download music for free -- that they were crooks. I told every record label I spoke with that they just lit the fuse to their own bomb that was going to explode from under them and put them on the street.
There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free?
The record industry doesn't have a f*cking clue how to make money. It's only their fault for letting foxes get into the henhouse and then wondering why there's no eggs or chickens. Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth. They should have taken their houses and cars and nipped it right there in the beginning. Those kids are putting 100,000 to a million people out of work. How can you pick on them? They've got freckles. That's a crook. He may as well be wearing a bandit's mask.
Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it."

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003671447

A-fuckin-men!

From the mouth that roared, Kiss' Gene Simmons:
"The record industry is in such a mess. I called for what it was when college kids first started download music for free -- that they were crooks. I told every record label I spoke with that they just lit the fuse to their own bomb that was going to explode from under them and put them on the street.
There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free?
The record industry doesn't have a f*cking clue how to make money. It's only their fault for letting foxes get into the henhouse and then wondering why there's no eggs or chickens. Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth. They should have taken their houses and cars and nipped it right there in the beginning. Those kids are putting 100,000 to a million people out of work. How can you pick on them? They've got freckles. That's a crook. He may as well be wearing a bandit's mask.
Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it."

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003671447