Pain of Salvation

Mumblefood said:
Well you can/do, but Pain Of Salvation is, as great as their music is, completely MADE by their lyrics and concepts. Hearing single songs out of context diminishes the lyrical impact of the whole thing because you don't see how it relates to the story. Plus, the flow and arrangement of the albums is really, REALLY good. They build albums, not songs, like most bands. Another thing is, it does take quite a long time to start figuring out all the lyrics, and i think that is why they are considered "overrated" and not really that great. They write some of the best lyrics i've ever heard, and that is what pushes them way over the edge when compared to other bands for me. Most bands i couldn't give two shits about the lyrics, because they just aren't that good. Opeth included for the most part. Pain Of Salvation... i feel it would be a criminal injustice for someone not to know the lyrics and understand the concept behind each album... you'd be missing so much of the point.

look up ^ :cool:

Sadguru said:
@Mumblefood

Have you seen their live DVD of the BE orchestrated concert? Best concert ever capture on video? You bet.

yeah i bought that DVD last year! it's fantastic, i really love it. Daniel's singing at the "mr. money" part (you know, the very musical-like song... forget the name now... dea pecunae, maybe?) is unreal. Most people seem to not like that part, but i think it's the best part of the DVD.

Mumblefood said:
yeah i bought that DVD last year! it's fantastic, i really love it. Daniel's singing at the "mr. money" part (you know, the very musical-like song... forget the name now... dea pecunae, maybe?) is unreal. Most people seem to not like that part, but i think it's the best part of the DVD.

Oh definitely one of the highlight. Anyway, the whole thing is just breathtaking.

Mumblefood said:
Well you can/do, but Pain Of Salvation is, as great as their music is, completely MADE by their lyrics and concepts. Hearing single songs out of context diminishes the lyrical impact of the whole thing because you don't see how it relates to the story. Plus, the flow and arrangement of the albums is really, REALLY good. They build albums, not songs, like most bands. Another thing is, it does take quite a long time to start figuring out all the lyrics, and i think that is why they are considered "overrated" and not really that great. They write some of the best lyrics i've ever heard, and that is what pushes them way over the edge when compared to other bands for me. Most bands i couldn't give two shits about the lyrics, because they just aren't that good. Opeth included for the most part. Pain Of Salvation... i feel it would be a criminal injustice for someone not to know the lyrics and understand the concept behind each album... you'd be missing so much of the point.

Sweet. Thanks man. That's pretty insightful.

Mumblefood said:

I love Pain of Salvation's lyrics and concepts, but they don't make the band - it's the music all the way. I agree that they are a very album-oriented band because of the musical elements - the flow and arrangement of songs and how melodies from previous songs are reprised in later ones, like the more urgent version of the Ashes chorus in Idioglossia. But you make it seem like you NEED to analyze the concepts to fully appreciate the albums... I don't think that's true. You don't need to know what's "going on" in the Remedy Lane plotline to feel the emotional impact of the lyrics. At all.

BE is the only album I found that was gratifying to research beyond the lyrics. It actually had a concept that "clicked" together. I've looked up a bunch of stuff about Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element and I still don't know what's going on, but it doesn't matter, it's just as powerful.

NOONE said:
I love Pain of Salvation's lyrics and concepts, but they don't make the band - it's the music all the way. I agree that they are a very album-oriented band because of the musical elements - the flow and arrangement of songs and how melodies from previous songs are reprised in later ones, like the more urgent version of the Ashes chorus in Idioglossia. But you make it seem like you NEED to analyze the concepts to fully appreciate the albums... I don't think that's true. You don't need to know what's "going on" in the Remedy Lane plotline to feel the emotional impact of the lyrics. At all.

BE is the only album I found that was gratifying to research beyond the lyrics. It actually had a concept that "clicked" together. I've looked up a bunch of stuff about Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element and I still don't know what's going on, but it doesn't matter, it's just as powerful.

.agreed. Remedy Lane still confuses me. But its good to know that I can always return to the album and discover something new. It gets better with each listen. Most bands fail at this.

The Evil Toucan said:
I keep hearing 'progressive'. When I think of progressive, I think of Ulver, not Pain of Salvation.

'Progressive music' doesn't really mean what it meant 30 years ago. Nowadays a band doesn't have to progress the genre at all to be considered progressive, you just need long technical songs and some calm stuff to be labeled prog.

So while Ulver certainly expanded the horizons of black metal more than Pain of Salvation did heavy metal's, Ulver still stays black metal and later electronica/ambient while PoS is considered prog.

I suppose the truly progressive metal bands would be Dream Theater, creating the slightly harder progressive sound and Opeth, being the first band to my knowledge to fuse the DT-prog to the harsher soundscapes of black and death metal.

madu said:
I suppose the truly progressive metal bands would be Dream Theater, creating the slightly harder progressive sound and Opeth, being the first band to my knowledge to fuse the DT-prog to the harsher soundscapes of black and death metal.

If you say so.

when dream theater came out, even with their album When Dream and Day Unite, their sound was truly unique and progressive, nobody had heard stuff like that before, w/ the technical prowess and instrumentation and whatnot.

anyways, for someone who wants to check out PoS, i would start w/ "Used" from The Perfect Element Pt. 1. i would also check out "Beyond the Pale" and "Trace of Blood"

I think Used is their worst song. I hate its wannabe-nu-metal verse and cheesy europop chorus. But as I said earlier, they are my second favourite band so don't get me wrong here. Usually I love their overwhelming cheesiness too, it just fits them perfectly. :)

NOONE said:

maybe it's just me then. but as soon as i understood the story of The Perfect Element I, it decimated my soul. Are you sure you even know what each song of TPE means? It does seem really odd that someone would say that unless they didn't really get it.

They didn't really capture my attention much. Plus, I found many moments where I thought the whole chanting, rapping, and lyrical content was too cheesy. Opeth > POS easily.