Paradise Lost review on GLOBAL DOMINATION

It was alright, I don't feel it was so much a review as it was a chance to get a few cheap laughs and mock several people. But otherwise it was well written, and is a fair review (much better than sea of transexuallity I'll give you that!)

Originally Posted by Phanto
well some of us enjoy insults, satire and heavy swearing. so if you want some christian reviews written by progsnobs with dictionaries, read sea of tranquility and all those other sites that look like they were made in the 80s.

I think you guys really do take things out of context, on both parts. Some people are bashing doomsgay sack because his swearing is in mature or summit, I don't think that would be the case and the swearing doesn't bother me! I don't have to be a progsnob, or like religion or any of that shaz to think that he came across with some cheap shots, for cheap laughs! And Zach knows it, hell he wrote it lol! The fact that this review is supposed to be for Paradise Lost, not to mock or bash somebody from canada or other ass monkeys, I mean honestly thats what this forum is for lol :)

All in all zach, it wasn't a bad review! I still disagree with certain things mentioned...especially the mockery, but that doesn't change the fact it was a well written rewiew! Kudos

PS: I know touching dicks woule help gentlemen sleep better at night! I know it helps me :) Love ya buddy

Dude, you are right that the digs were cheap shots, especially the Sea of Transexuallity stuff. But that doesn't take away from the fact that there's a good page and a half in MS word that is a legitimate review. I ain't saying you have to blow me and tell me how good it was for you, i'm just saying that there's plenty of review there.

Like I said, it was an honest and fair review! Clever written to, It is a good review don't get me wrong!
(much better than sea of transexuallity I'll give you that!)

All in all zach, it wasn't a bad review! I still disagree with certain things mentioned...especially the mockery, but that doesn't change the fact it was a well written rewiew! Kudos

First off, I want to seriously and honestly say thanks to each and everyone who checked out the review, regardless of feelings on it.

How was the review anymore childish and immature than your comment? Just because I drop the f bomb and don't use a thesaurus to write my reviews, it's immature and childish? I'd expect as much from a LTE fan...

Cool.... More immaturity...

How was my response childish and immature?

Why do you think that the swearing or your use of this wording had anything to do with my opinion of your review?

BTW... my username is from a Bruce Lee quote and has nothing to do with the band LTE....

You're welcome and stop with all the assumptions....

I don't get it? I am not trying to defend Sea of Tranquillity or anything, but, I don't see how your review is anymore legitimate or unbiased as thiers.

Actually, even though their review was definately more like SyX ass kissing I would say their reveiw pertains more to the majority of SyX fans than yours does. Disliking prog/power metal as much as you seem to I find it does not quite match up, being that these genres are where SyX gets most of their influence from. I am not saying you are not worthy to write a review for SyX or any of that, but, I do find it sort of hypocritical for you to bash Sea of Tranquillity's review when their taste in music is much closer to the majority of SyX fans than yours are.

Your review tended to be biased in the respect that the things that were negative for you were things that most SyX fans would find as pluses. You of course had every right to your opinion and to write your own review, it even was a great review for that particular extreme metal website as you can be a reputable reviewer for a band like SyX for those like you who are mostly extreme metal fans. However, I think it is wrong for you to bash Sea of Tranquillity's review of a prog/power metal band on a site that caters morsoe to extreme metal.

I think Sea of Tranquillity should have been less lazy and written a more in depth review, however, there is not much need to being that most people who go there are prog/power metal fans and it is pretty safe to say they will have the same opinions regarding their reviews.

You have the right to love SyX as much as the rest of us, but sometimes you have to remember that since you are mostly into extreme metal genres your likes/dislikes in music are going to be a lot different than most people that are here, except for SyX of course. I have been in this forum for many years now even though I do not post much. I don't remember how long you have been coming here (not sure if you are the same person who used to come here under the name "the odyssey"), but, I have seen a lot of your posts that do nothing but intentionally start flame wars. Whenever someone posts a thread about a new album for a random prog/power metal band you always seem to have to jump on there and say something like "this band eats my shit" or "I would rather my dad touch my penis than listen to this shit". Of course you argue that you have your own opinion everytime, which is true, yet its more like you always make these comments about bands we like just to start flaming. Yes, we all know now that you hate most of these types of bands and we respect that, but, you have to remember that like 95% of us here if not more like these types of bands, hence SyX. It is the same as if someone here went to a forum for some extreme metal band because they happened to like that one particular extreme metal band and bash any other extreme metal band that was talked about there. Of course this person has their opinion, but it would be more curtious (if people even know what that means still) if they choose not to go saying rude shit about the bands that they enjoy out of courtesy and respect that the majority of people there like that kind of music.

I personally like all kinds of metal, which I think is the same for a lot of people on this forum. I am really mostly into prog/power metal yet I do like some bands that are more extreme and aggressive too. As the days and months go by I am finding a lot more extreme type bands that I like, hell, when I first got into metal I couldn't stand death/growling vocals which now I do appreciate and even have respect for those that can do them. All I am saying is that I think that since you have such dislike for most prog/power metal bands you could at least show a little bit of respect or courtesy to those here that do by not making rude comments about them every time someone mentions them.

I don't give a shit about Sea of Tranquillity, so the mocking in the review is lost to me... but everything else is both hilarious and spot-on for the album from what songs I've heard... so I'm probably more likely to buy it now. :lol:

Good fucking job.

I think he is well placed to make a review, he has been on these forums long enough, and listened to this band more than enough to know what sympony x is and isn't! Granted the fact he doesn't like progressive metal might take away a few points, but zach will be the first to tell you its HIS REVIEW, for him and who ever wants to read what he thinks. And the fact he does'nt like prog metal I don't find makes him biased, it justs make it that much harder for symphony x to get a good review, and they did get an awesome review...It was 100% better and more detailed than sea of tranquility... Sea's review was ass kissing and gravelling, not a review!

So once again kudos doomzgay sack lol, honestly I still find the person who said this to be rather ugh...I mean there methods are questionable lol!

I think he is well placed to make a review, he has been on these forums long enough, and listened to this band more than enough to know what sympony x is and isn't! Granted the fact he doesn't like progressive metal might take away a few points, but zach will be the first to tell you its HIS REVIEW, for him and who ever wants to read what he thinks. And the fact he does'nt like prog metal I don't find makes him biased, it justs make it that much harder for symphony x to get a good review, and they did get an awesome review...It was 100% better and more detailed than sea of tranquility... Sea's review was ass kissing and gravelling, not a review!

So once again kudos doomzgay sack lol, honestly I still find the person who said this to be rather ugh...I mean there methods are questionable lol!

If you would stop sucking his penis for just a minute and look at my post again you would see that I was not saying that his review is biased. I even said it was a good review without all the bashing.....however that is the way he wanted to write it so he is more than allowed to choose the way he writes his own review. I was stating that it is no more right for him to bash Sea of Tranquillity for giving a flawless review as for someone to bash him for having some complaints and not liking certain tracks. Even though the SoT reveiw was lackluster in detail it is more reliable to most SyX fans being that most SyX fans are prog/power metal fans, whereas, his review is written by a person who is more into extreme metal and posted on an extreme metal site. Even though SoT had no complaints in the review maybe it is because the person who did the review is a type of person who doesn't complain about small things. Maybe the person had hoped there would be a long epic track on the new album but didn't let it bother him/her that there was none on PL. Even though they didn't get their epic track PL is still a really awesome album by a really awesome band.

I have to agree that the usage of all the swears and rude comments about things that really don't have anything to do with the album really bring the review down. I don't mind when there are clever, even destructively negative, comments about the album itself. But they should make actually sense.

To say something touches dicks... what does that mean? It doesn't give me any indication of how something actually is.

Seriously, I think all your over-ambitious attempts to be funny discredit you as a reviewer. They imply a certain level of bias and people will assume you make snap judgments on things.

You are kinda funny though... while it was funny to read, I wouldn't take your review into account when considering buying the album. It seems more for crude entertainment value.

Hey, this is getting interesting...
let's see... I liked the humour of the review, but that's just opinion, so let's do away with the humour and... the review is good. Everybody can kiss the asses of SyX, it's not hard... Saying power progressive metal is gay, well that's cheap too. But the rest of the review is quite good.

Then let me jump into the "maturity" question in this thread.
Posting a comment with "you're immature"... yeah, that's not helping, you see... Because the post is no exception on its statement.
Liquid Tension, the only thing you have done so far is calling DDZ immature...
So, assuming you are on the more "mature" side of the world, why do you post a comment in this thread? If I thought the review was immature, I just would have closed the thread and went to another site. I don't really get what you mean.

japan, you on the other hand, have a good point. But opinions are opinions, and a review is a review. split those two things.

So, assuming you are on the more "mature" side of the world, why do you post a comment in this thread? If I thought the review was immature, I just would have closed the thread and went to another site. I don't really get what you mean.

HUH???

The guy was begging for everyone to read his review and give a response so I did... I found it to be immature when it comes to reviews for some of the many reasons already stated... If you and others want this type of humor in reviews then great... Like I said he has a following and there isn't anything more you can ask for....

I won't be reading anymore of his reviews in the future if you really need to here the obvious from me... Why you felt the need to tell me what you would've have done doesn't make sense since I was just fullfilling the request he made out here...

I don't understand why you are reading so much into my response and making these incorrect assumptions...

"Revelation" boring? hardly. I think that's one of the finer songs on the album. Killer beginning piano runs and riffage(and a real groove), multiple vocal verses, an awesone middle section, and arguably one of the best choruses right up there with the best of 'em. [You know what they are].

I'd say this, the title track, and "Eve Of Seduction" are my favorites but it's so hard to pick favorites just yet as the entire album rocks.

Bottom line: just like every other SX album; EVERY SONG ON IT IS GOOD

Nice review, Zach. you're a funny guy.

Prismatic Sphere, I agree with you that mostly every song on every album is good except for "Shades of Grey". That song was just terrible.

"Ah don't know wha' ma' heart keeps calling, but a reeelleeedonwanyoutusttEEEHEHEHHHHH!"

Alright, more good stuff today while i was at work! WOO HOO!!! I love this because it's my opinion and it's spawned 3 pages of debate, arguments, and drama. I LOVE IT! Haha, and I find it great that you all care so much about my opinion. :heh: This is EXACTLY why I'm so qualified to write the review :lol:

Seriously though, i'm fucken grinning like a retard on speed over here. This is fantastic guys, i love to see the debate and discussion here. And i know there's a lot of criticism for me being immature. Like this post:

Cool.... More immaturity...

How was my response childish and immature?

Why do you think that the swearing or your use of this wording had anything to do with my opinion of your review?

BTW... my username is from a Bruce Lee quote and has nothing to do with the band LTE....

You're welcome and stop with all the assumptions....

Yeah, i need to stop with the assumptions. Fuck me for thinking that LIQUID TENSION had to do with LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT and not knowing it was some random-ass bruce lee quote. Holy shit, what am i thinking? :rolleyes:

And about the immaturity thing, i'll be honest with you... i'd rather act the way I do and be called "immature" than be a pretentious fuck who sits on his high horse and looks down his nose at everyone. Oh well, to-may-to / to-mah-to.

ON TO MORE STUFF!!!

*insert long-ass post here*

Dude, i'm not at all joking and this is not sarcasm when i say this: great fucken post and kudos to you bro. However, i do have a few complaints about some of the comments. First of all, reviewing a disc is not about pleasing the fans of the band. it's about knowing the audience that reads your webzine and letting them know what they can expect from the album. Actually, i don't really feel like saying much else. Thanks for the input, i respectfully disagree, but have nothing bad to say about you.

I don't give a shit about Sea of Tranquillity, so the mocking in the review is lost to me... but everything else is both hilarious and spot-on for the album from what songs I've heard... so I'm probably more likely to buy it now. :lol:

Good fucking job.

Thanks again for reading bro :kickass:

Heh, you asked me to write it man. What'd you expect?

You made a few good points here. good stuff man.

If you would stop sucking his penis for just a minute and look at my post again you would see that I was not saying that his review is biased.

but it was. All reviews are. I have openly admitted many times that my reviews are bias. But within all of my opinion, it is my job to inform the listener of what they will get when purchasing the cd. To me, a well written review can completely thrash a band to shreds, say "holy fuck this sucks more than Celine Dion" and someone can read it and still think it sounds like a great disc.

I have to agree that the usage of all the swears and rude comments about things that really don't have anything to do with the album really bring the review down. I don't mind when there are clever, even destructively negative, comments about the album itself. But they should make actually sense.

To say something touches dicks... what does that mean? It doesn't give me any indication of how something actually is.

Seriously, I think all your over-ambitious attempts to be funny discredit you as a reviewer. They imply a certain level of bias and people will assume you make snap judgments on things.

You are kinda funny though... while it was funny to read, I wouldn't take your review into account when considering buying the album. It seems more for crude entertainment value.

My reviews are written in my spare time for no compensation whatsoever (well, promo cds, but i end up spending more money on music rather than less because i find out about more shit i want to buy), so first and formost they are to entertain me. I never expected the majority of this forum to accept the review with open arms (even though it DID get an 8 out of 10 :lol: ). still, thanks again for the comments and response. Good times, good times.

Hey, this is getting interesting...
let's see... I liked the humour of the review, but that's just opinion, so let's do away with the humour and... the review is good. Everybody can kiss the asses of SyX, it's not hard... Saying power progressive metal is gay, well that's cheap too. But the rest of the review is quite good.

Then let me jump into the "maturity" question in this thread.
Posting a comment with "you're immature"... yeah, that's not helping, you see... Because the post is no exception on its statement.

japan, you on the other hand, have a good point. But opinions are opinions, and a review is a review. split those two things.

Good post, and good points. Still, i disagree with the last thing you said (i think... not exactly clear to be honest haha). Or maybe not... as i said earlier in this post that is way too long, a review will have both an opinion and a statement of what the disc is all about.

HUH???

The guy was begging for everyone to read his review and give a response so I did... I found it to be immature when it comes to reviews for some of the many reasons already stated... If you and others want this type of humor in reviews then great... Like I said he has a following and there isn't anything more you can ask for....

I won't be reading anymore of his reviews in the future if you really need to here the obvious from me... Why you felt the need to tell me what you would've have done doesn't make sense since I was just fullfilling the request he made out here...

I don't understand why you are reading so much into my response and making these incorrect assumptions...

You just don't get it do you? Ahh well, whatever. I'm over it. Again, i appreciate you taking the time to at least look at the review.

Nice review, Zach. you're a funny guy.

Prismatic Sphere, I agree with you that mostly every song on every album is good except for "Shades of Grey". That song was just terrible.

"Ah don't know wha' ma' heart keeps calling, but a reeelleeedonwanyoutusttEEEHEHEHHHHH!"

Thanks man, and good call with Shades of Grey. Awful track that one be.

Aren't all reviews? I'd really question someone dumb enough to buy something because someone else said to. Judge for oneself I say.

Fuck off ken, i bought Hanging Gardens based on a recommendation from Aleksi Munter of Swallow the Sun. I didn't even listen to it. That was his opinion, not mine, though it's my opinion that he was right and the disc slays infidels.

Did i miss anything else?

Awww thread pruned. Ah well, we can continue on our merry way with the discussion, and *cue music* i've learned something about myself today. AGX has some decency in him after all. It doesn't matter where we come from... it only matters who we are. And we are all.... people.