Paradise Lost review on GLOBAL DOMINATION

Don't you mean "Doomsgay Sack"?

you should just go ahead and sign up a new account already!!!

and @ Kenneth, some people don't have the luxury of being able to hear an album before they buy it, and they don't have the funds to just buy every albums and then judge, so reviews are helpful. While most of my album purchases I don't read reviews for, there have been some well written reviews that did turn me on to bands. Like Nevermore for example. I read a well written concert review and then later on when I spotted the album on the shelf of a store, I remembered hearing good thinks, bought it, and now they are one of my favorite bands.

I liked the review Zach...but i don't like your use of the word fucken just so you can fit in with your GD mates...it shows a weakness of character and i have lost all respect i had for you as a consequence.

I don't know why you would buy every album anyway raythetse, 90% of music is shit. :lol:
Like I said twice now, although I guess they got deleted with the other two pages of this thread- reviews are useless unless you know the bias and personal taste of the reviewer. If you do, then you can use them as an effective tool to judge an album. If you don't know those things about some random person on the internet, then it's pointless because they may have completely opposite taste from you - ie what the say rocks, you say sucks. Reviews are all opinion, and some people tend to get all twisted up about other people's opinions.

I don't know why you would buy every album anyway raythetse, 90% of music is shit. :lol:
Like I said twice now, although I guess they got deleted with the other two pages of this thread- reviews are useless unless you know the bias and personal taste of the reviewer. If you do, then you can use them as an effective tool to judge an album. If you don't know those things about some random person on the internet, then it's pointless because they may have completely opposite taste from you - ie what the say rocks, you say sucks. Reviews are all opinion, and some people tend to get all twisted up about other people's opinions.

That is where I was getting at with my point about the SoT review compared to his. Even though the SoT's reveiw was lackluster and refused to state exactly why the album was so great it is still more reputable than his being that most SyX fans share the same taste in music as the people there. His review on GD was still a great tool for that target audience to read.

To Zach: I know I had physically written that your review was biased but it was just kind of a misuse of wording. The rest of the post I made should have cleared up what I was really trying to say, sometimes it is hard to describe some things in words. At the end of the day it boiled down to the fact that SoT dared you to write a "better" review and you assumed yours was better because you had criticized a few points of the album. Like I have said a few times you have every right to like/dislike certain things about it. There is no way one review can be better than another overall....it is all up to the tastes of the reader whether one review is better than the other. SoT's review is a better review to me because they share the same tastes in music as I do, not because it is a service to SyX fans. Yes, it would have been a more entertaining review had they been more descriptive about the sound of the album and whatnot, but that has nothing to do with it being a good review for me or not. Your review is a better review for the readers on GD being that they have the same musical tastes as you. I find that to be a great thing because you can point out to that audience that SyX has big balls sometimes even though there are some songs they may not enjoy so much (ie. Sacrifice).

this is why i say remove the shits n giggles comments.

i fyou give a clear explanation of why something doesn't turn you on, then the reader can say, well i hate music that sounds like that too, or even, well i actually like that sort of approach in spite of what the reviewer said.

Its not about what the reviewer thinks about the album, its about what drove him to that conclusion. If a reviewer describes the album well, then I can decide if its worth the gamble of puting $15 down on it.

Of course it is always a risk if you haven't already heard the album... but sometimes you don't have the chance to before you buy. If my local stores, you can't just hear any album at any time.

and by every album, I meant every album that i find myself interested in hearing.

this is why i say remove the shits n giggles comments.

i fyou give a clear explanation of why something doesn't turn you on, then the reader can say, well i hate music that sounds like that too, or even, well i actually like that sort of approach in spite of what the reviewer said.

Its not about what the reviewer thinks about the album, its about what drove him to that conclusion. If a reviewer describes the album well, then I can decide if its worth the gamble of puting $15 down on it.

Of course it is always a risk if you haven't already heard the album... but sometimes you don't have the chance to before you buy. If my local stores, you can't just hear any album at any time.

and by every album, I meant every album that i find myself interested in hearing.
so you agree with me then. you're just not saying it.

so you agree with me then. you're just not saying it.

on some points i agree with you. i agree that if you understand, or even better, share, the bias of the reviewer, then u can use that bias to help create a picture of an album. But your comments seem to say its the only way you can get anything out of a review. IMO, if you can look beyond the bias and find actual explanations then you can form proper expectations.

for example, someone with a bias towards only the heaviest of the heavy could say "this album sucks, its not heavy enough." this means nothing to me as I can't assume to know what he or she considers heavy enough. but if the reviewer says "this album didn't do anything for me because its only as heavy as (insert some band name) and reminds me too much of (insert some album name)" then i can think to myself either, "oh, yeah i want heavier than that." or i can think, "well i enjoyed (that album the reviewer mentioned), so i think i'll give this a go."

so you see, even if the reviewer gave the album a negative review, a serious explanation why he or she didn't like it could raise my interest.

i think Zack said something about one song sounding like stratovarious. that particualr comment does mean something to me, but when he says "just skip past the first four minutes of this song cuz it otherwise sucks." well that doesn't mean anything to me... who the hell would actually do that just cuz he said so?

IMO, the value of a serious review is in the discriptions and content. Final score only comes in to play when you have found a reviewer that you seem to agree with on most counts. so you can look over a list of that persons reviews and spot the high scorign ones. but even then, read the review.

I would like to say that if Zachs review is meant mainly for entertainment, then its not bad. But if he was trying to make a living off of offering serious information to help people make informed decisions on which albums to invest in, then he failed to do anything for me.

Are you confused since you just described yourself perfectly?

And about the immaturity thing, i'll be honest with you... i'd rather act the way I do and be called "immature" than be a pretentious fuck who sits on his high horse and looks down his nose at everyone. Oh well, to-may-to / to-mah-to.

EXAMPLE......

quote=DoomsdayZach;6194253]http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=5124

HOLY SHIT!!! Who wrote this garbage??? This album is not a disappointment because no one expects Dave to do anything good until he gets back on the H train. Still, it's garbage, and absolutely not worth the money. It sounds NOTHING like anything they've done in the "early days". Effin' gay.[/quote]

liquid tension, i checked the interwebs, couldnt find any record of bruce lee having ever uttered those two words "liquid tension" in close proximity to each other, you mind expanding on that, because i love me a bit of bruce lee. :)