Paradise Lost Samples

Unfortunately that one little ascending run in the lick was already ruined for my by Kirk Hammet (you can tell its open string, hammer on, hammer on, repeat). I just wind up feeling like its cheap and amaturish to do that, mostly just because of how it's played.

I don't get it. Who cares how it's played? Inferno's intro riff on guitar was the same way, and that was awesome...

Okay, so, Serpents Kiss...

The whole main riff concept is awesome, reminds me of the Sins and Shadows style of taking a main riff idea and doing permutations off of it. Highly digging MJR's tone - in fact listening to it back to back with Inferno, his tone is massively improved. Even tho it's him and I should expect it by now, the solos are SO clean.

Russ could have put a little more melody into the vox... you can kinda hear how it should be and its one thing to gruff up an implied melody, but this borders on ditching the melody too much. Like Inferno is pretty gruff but you can still get the melody out of it. This is a bit more of a stretch to find the melody.

Unfortunately that one little ascending run in the lick was already ruined for my by Kirk Hammet (you can tell its open string, hammer on, hammer on, repeat). I just wind up feeling like its cheap and amaturish to do that, mostly just because of how it's played.

Overall, though, very impressed, my interest for this album is definitely peaked.

+100

I don't want to hear something any kid could do in his basement.

I listened to the full length clip of "Serpent's Kiss" on the band's Myspace page, and was blown away.

A fantastic song! The guitar sound is much heavier and Russell Allan's vocals are much throatier on the song.

Symphony X with a Tool sound? I admit I had different expectations for a band that I've always loved for its taste of melody and its rich symphonic arrangements.

I hope I'll hear still some of these things in this new release :(

I hope it was piqued. If it peaked, you have nowhere to go but down...

;)

haha...oh...............snap

I knew something was wrong when I typed it, but no squiggly red underline led to acceptance. On the positive side tho... the song resulted in my peak anticipation of the album thus far... so, technically I can worm my way out of it ;)

Don't take that comment about the Kirk Hammet passage TOO seriously, I know it's silly and things should just be written how they are written. It's more so just you can hear in the riff that occurance and it has an immediate 'IRK' feeling like 'oh, comeon, don't do THAT', kindof like if you heard someone tapping the decending triplets of a minor arpeggio. A few guitar licks just possess that irk factor because of past uses. Really I just think it's funny that Kirk managed to ruin it for me, because you KNOW he did it for stupid reasons - probably didn't even know what key he was in.

"oh michael romeo played one easy lick anyone can pull out, oh now he is amateur, how can he do that if he could've sweep-legato-pick-shred-tapped it instead"

how stupid are you? maybe he did it because it SOUNDS GREAT?????

"oh michael romeo played one easy lick anyone can pull out, oh now he is amateur, how can he do that if he could've sweep-legato-pick-shred-tapped it instead"

Give it a rest, it would sound great if any guitarist did it. I mean I'm even pleased with the song, it's by no means something anyone could write, however if it was I'd not be happy with it, if you're satisified by dumbed down garbage that's fine, but some of us aren't, and some of us are not loyal beyond a band's putting out crappy material over and over. Aye?

Yeah, I saw a 10 year old on youtube play the inferno intro... doesn't take away from it's sound.

Besides, we all know MJR could sweep-tap-arpeggiate-999999bpm-triplet-stacatto-pinch harmonic it if he wanted to. :loco:

This just comes down to individual perception/interpretation based on different experiences, knowledge and preferences. It's like how some people cannot enjoy the music of someone they know is a complete arsehole. It sounds the same no matter how it's played or what the person is like who plays it, but there's a lot behind the scenes of the final product of a piece of music that we often can't help but dwell on. I find it unlikely that anyone can just listen to the music without thinking of other things. Even if it's just wondering what strings are being used or what it'd be like seeing them perform it on stage while you're in the crowd headbanging.

Yeah, I saw a 10 year old on youtube play the inferno intro... doesn't take away from it's sound.

Besides, we all know MJR could sweep-tap-arpeggiate-999999bpm-triplet-stacatto-pinch harmonic it if he wanted to. :loco:

Actually it did, it was sloppy as hell. Just because MR can play good music doesn't mean I'll listen to him when he writes absolute crap. Which is something you seem eager to do. lol Seriously if you want chug chug chug simple simple simple, I suggest Nu-Metal.

:lol: This is the epic thread in which it was discussed whether or not that kid was any good or not... :lol:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/symphonyx/265469-11-year-old-kid-plays-inferno.html

Meh... btw, get MSN you luddite, and join in on the EPIC MSN CHATs!

But yeah, even if it's not played 100% note for note, he's one of the best 11 year olds I've seen haha. Though there are no doubt some preteens out there that could put today's hereos to shame, hidden somewhere. :p

Jax,
Thanks very much for posting the song samples!

OH...MY...GOD!!! :headbang:
Just by listening to a few seconds worth of the music, my anticipation for the album has shot up a hundred fold. I immediately got goosebumps upon hearing the "Oculus ex inferni" sample. Michael Romeo's distortion on "Set the World on Fire" and "Domination" could bring down buildings! Russ' voice sounds just vicious on these two tracks! In my opinion, at least, the production sounds more muscular than The Odyssey (not that that one was bad by any means). Definitely cannot wait to experience the whole thing!

Actually it did, it was sloppy as hell. Just because MR can play good music doesn't mean I'll listen to him when he writes absolute crap. Which is something you seem eager to do. lol Seriously if you want chug chug chug simple simple simple, I suggest Nu-Metal.

it was just one lick dude. if u say the whole song is garbage then u are mentally ill.

PS. someday you'll grow up and understand music, not just listen and judge by how it's played.

From the samples you can notice the production is way better. I don't think Odyssey has a great production because of the drums. They sound very thin, without power. But Rullo does not use heavy drums anyway. He is great though.