Paradise Lost Samples

nevermore's guitar tone is by far different

A the tuning is not what I am talking about, I also play a 7 string in B, and I use most of the same gear they do and I have a very similar sound. What I was talking about is the settings on their gear, MR has a wetter sound, but overall it now sounds much like nevermore's Set up.

Agrees with both of Swede's statements, that'd be some monsterous scales he'd pull out!

Hmm, never thought of that.. I must admit that Witching Hour doesnt get that played that much.. :) But I´ll have to check it out!

A the tuning is not what I am talking about, I also play a 7 string in B, and I use most of the same gear they do and I have a very similar sound. What I was talking about is the settings on their gear, MR has a wetter sound, but overall it now sounds much like nevermore's Set up.

Agrees with both of Swede's statements, that'd be some monsterous scales he'd pull out!

I didn't mean the tuning, did I say that? It was said after my post.
As you said, Nevermore's tone is a bit dryer, more agreesive due to more treble. You can hear the active-passive difference. I can't say anything to the settings on their amps, because I don't now how they both behave. Of course you are right, they sound a bit similar, but I wouldn't say they are the same.

No, not the same, mine is somewhere in between the 2 of them actually. lol Of course even using different pick ups change the tone slightly, so there's no way I could say they're the same. :)

Well, I'm pretty sure there is some seven string action on witching hour... I know there is 5 string bass (ADGCF) on it, so I'm sure Romeo would have used a 7 string to get the A.

Miller used a 5-stringer on that whole album. But it doesn't necessarily mean Romeo used a 7-stringer.

No, not the same, mine is somewhere in between the 2 of them actually. lol Of course even using different pick ups change the tone slightly, so there's no way I could say they're the same. :)

yeah sure there's always at least a small difference.

I'm really impressed of Serpent's Kiss, especially of Russ.
So many different modes in his voice, the dark and moody one at the beginning, then back to the Odyssey/Atomic Soul kind of singing and in the next moment he sounds like Rod Tyler and later on like James LaBrie, I can't await the album. The 2nd guitar solo also reminds me a lot of the debut album.

The Serpents Kiss is what I was expecting and more....Russell is beyond this world.

Well i've listened to Serpent's Kiss and i like. It sounds more "organic" than the previous stuff, it's also a lot more raw than anything they've done before and i feel that Russ' voice suites it very well.

I think it's interesting when bands change their sound so it'll be fun when i get the new album, i just hope it's not another Monday Morning Apocalypse :rolleyes:

Okay, so, Serpents Kiss...

The whole main riff concept is awesome, reminds me of the Sins and Shadows style of taking a main riff idea and doing permutations off of it. Highly digging MJR's tone - in fact listening to it back to back with Inferno, his tone is massively improved. Even tho it's him and I should expect it by now, the solos are SO clean.

Russ could have put a little more melody into the vox... you can kinda hear how it should be and its one thing to gruff up an implied melody, but this borders on ditching the melody too much. Like Inferno is pretty gruff but you can still get the melody out of it. This is a bit more of a stretch to find the melody.

Unfortunately that one little ascending run in the lick was already ruined for my by Kirk Hammet (you can tell its open string, hammer on, hammer on, repeat). I just wind up feeling like its cheap and amaturish to do that, mostly just because of how it's played.

Overall, though, very impressed, my interest for this album is definitely peaked.