Paradise Lost Samples

well this album is definetly not going to be another V, or another Divine..., or nothing like twilight and damnation game. this is really heavy stuff, even thrashy sometimes. i think im a bit disappointed because if i wanted to listen to that kind of music ive already have great bands to listen. no one makes music like SX, and thats why they're so special

i think they are going in the same direction as Dream Theater went after scenes from a memory. "just stop with the complexity and beautiful melodies and keyboard harmonies, just make music so when we play live the audience will bang their heads till the show is over.

i dont like to go to a live show just to bang my head to a fast riff and killer drums. i think they're a bit concerned that the ones that go to their live show wont "bang their heads till death" (meaning = liking the songs) because u all know that many musicians do tend to judge the liking of their songs from how many people is banging their heads in the show.

I have a feeling Paradise Lost (the song) is gonna be my favorite of the album. It's kinda judging a book by its cover, but still, it sounds promising.

About the increased heaviness compared to earlier work, I'm worried that SX might get some fans whose attitude is: "Holy shit Symphony X rocks so hard! I LOVE music I can headbang to! I like Pantera!"

I agree with Xtopher entirely, and I've been saying the exact same thing to my friends. The metal here is pretty awesome, for metal, but we already have sources for that. There is no other band to fill the void that SX created when they put away what made them different. As far as personal taste, PL is ranking lowest, with only the debut album underneath it. And that's not because PL is bad, it's only because all their other work is so much better.

When I got into SX, the Odyssey had been out a little while. So this, really, is the first time that my absolute favorite band is releasing a new album. Somebody told me, I can't say how accurate it is, that MJR's favorite SX song is Communion and the Oracle. If that's true, then how did Paradise Lost happen? I feel the albums title is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If the band took this new direction because it's what they really wanted to do, and this is what they like, have fun doing, and wanted to make happen, then I respect and support the decision, though I may not be as insane a fan. If they did this just to get more mainstream and appeal to the masses who can't appreciate anything classically influenced, then I think I'm just kind of going to look at the floor and mourn.

Pretty obviously meant to be sarcastic, and I find it pretty difficult to reply to because it seems to have so little effect on what I said. I will now try and reply to it without copy/pasting my other post in its entirety.

I am open minded. It's pretty impossible to be a fan of prog without some level of open-mindedness. I also happen to like the album, a lot. Had the album been from anybody else, I'd have gone HOLY SHIT and been very pleased to find it. The reason I'm unsettled is because I don't think it's worth taking up the space of a SX album, not with how long they take to come about. I've said it already, but whatever. The metal is good, but if you want that style, there are many bands to turn to. Symphony X was one of a kind, and feeling saddened that theyre becoming more like everybody else doesn't mean I'm not open-minded.

I think I'm being pretty civil about this. I'm just expressing my opinion, and without personally attacking or criticizing anybody, not even, really, the band. It would be nice then, if you happened to not agree with me, to do the same and figure out a better way to go about it than calling me insane or not open-minded. I don't try and and flesh out my opinions by quipping about those who don't agree with it.

The metal is good, but if you want that style, there are many bands to turn to.

I've heard some people say similar things to this, but I haven't heard anyone give any names of bands that offer the same thing as Paradise Lost. Please name some names cause I would definitely want to hear something similiar.:headbang:

yeah, it's more or less that other bands are starting to sound like "OLD Symphony X"...just take a listen to some Time Requiem...the only thing that really separates the styles is Russell Allen's voice and the fact that some SymX is more "Epic" than Time Requiem...but stylistically, Time Requiem is very "Old Sym X'ish" as it should be because Richard Andersson is admittedly very influenced by SymX...

There really isn't any other album that I have heard that sounds both as heavy, ripping metal in parts and as beautiful flowing melodies in others as Paradise Lost...but sorry, because that is coming from a full listen of the album...and saying that, this post will likely get this thread locked...not that I gave anything away...just that I mentioned hearing the whole album...

Anyone who is bitching about these samples is an ungrateful prick. Grow a pair, or listen to Spock's Beard and Journey.

The samples fucking rule, the album can't possibly disappoint anyone.

That would be interesting wouldn't it?

"STANDING ON THE EEEDGE OF PARADISE, I SACRIFICE MY TRUTH AND LOYALTY" *Throws sheep head into the audience*

Yes, only lets dig deeper, imagine the Symphony X scales and riffs....only played to a Blast Beat, and the lyrics done like this with the standard black metal rasp.........."AHHHHHH Staning......On the Eadge of ParadIIIIIIIIIIIse, I sacrifice my truuuuuuuuth and Loyalityyyyyyy". :)

In my opinion this album hides a lot details that must be discovered with several plays. I get echoes from the Divine Wings Of Tragedy (The last song, Revelation -Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia-, finishes with the same notes of the bridge section that are played in the Song "The Divine Wings of tragedy". Besides, one of the ballads reminds me "The Edge Of Forever" from "The Damnation Game". Indeed, they still remain their neoclasical smell typical from SymphonyX

I love this new album :D

I've listened to the samples and I can't bloody wait for the album - it's gonna be fantastic. Didn't MJR say that it was going to be darker and heavier previously? So I'm not surprised that it is darker and heavier, natch! I'm expecting for there still to be light and shade in the album and all the nuances that we know and love from the band. It is possible to like the heavier stuff and the more symphonic stuff - I don't see a problem here. Like some dude said earlier (sorry I can't find it now) it's gonna contain the same sorta elements, just varying amounts of each ingredient. Roll on June! :Smokin: