Paradise Lost Samples

This was not what I expected at all but they do sound pretty good. As many have said before I am just going to wait until June to decide if I really like it or not.

I'm using every last bit of restraint to not listen. I want the first time to be special. ;) I'm just afraid that if I start listening, I'll want more, and then I'll start tearing at the walls. Not a pretty site.

I don't know...judging from those samples, I really yearn for the days of Through the Looking Glass. I agree with everyone who hears way too much grit and roughness in Russell's voice.

BUT, I will wait until the album comes out and I can hear each song in it's entirety. I just enjoy the more melodic singing, it's suits the band better.

As for the extremely heavy guitar tone and riffage, I think it makes perfect sense: here's a band that has garnered some stateside popularity recently on tours such as Gigantour (lead by METAL metal bands, not prog/power...or whatever you consider Symphony X to be). I mean, it may sound lame to some of those "true" fans out there, but from a marketing standpoint a heavy as balls album is the smartest move they can make. And I say: go for it guys! They deserve the fame.

Just...keep Russell singin' all pretty and the like, too.

I mean, it may sound lame to some of those "true" fans out there, but from a marketing standpoint a heavy as balls album is the smartest move they can make. And I say: go for it guys! They deserve the fame.

I agree with your point, and they did so in a tasteful way. They still kept true to there overall sound but made modifications to it.

First impression from samples: I think the production sounds phenominal. I thought the Odyssey was a little dry, and comparitively this albums seems to have a nicer saturation to it. Good balance, great guitar tone (I was worried about the Caprision because I thought his live sound went from great to crap in that transition, but it sounds really good).

I'm not thrilled about Russell's use of grit. Russ has always have some grit to his voice and used it quite well for dynamic expression. But the way he instilled that style on Divine Wings (aggressive songs like Sins and Shadows and Out of the Ashes) was perfect. This seems a bit overboard. I understand that to some degree that style has a more 'modern' feel and probably actually opens the band up to a whole new slew of fans who see a very thin line between 'fantasy wizard' music that is lame and 'brutal metal' music which is cool, (some metal heads are so insecure). You can't really blame the band for wanting to move in that direction, especially since they are so balanced on the cusp of really exploding into the mainstream of metal. For me, though, that kind of singing almost always detracts from the music. A distorted guitar is gritty enough for my taste. There are a few bands like Children of Bodom and Cradle of Filth who wouldn't be what they are without gruff vocals, but X is not one of those bands. Personally, if I listen to the singing on Live OTEOF back to back with the Gigantour DVD, it's like 'ugghhh, what happened here'

I tend to think having the first track have Inferni in the title after the last CD beginning with Inferno is kindof goofy (even if it is latin and not the same meaning).

I love the album art - I was hoping since the original leak that they would keep with the same concept. I think that art summarizes the band perfectly.

There's something interesting in the overall approach to this album I'm hearing in the chorus's that I like a lot. It seems like they explored the sort of 'grand, layered, airy' chorus feel a bit more here, which I think is a great move for them in terms of musical progress and development.

I definitely have very high hopes for the album.

I'm not thrilled about Russell's use of grit. Russ has always have some grit to his voice and used it quite well for dynamic expression. But the way he instilled that style on Divine Wings (aggressive songs like Sins and Shadows and Out of the Ashes) was perfect. This seems a bit overboard.

Kinda agree... I loved his voice on those songs, and ones like Evolution. The vocals on the new stuff is still fucking awesome, but doesn't compare to the godly work on some of the previous stuff. :kickass:

Also... I wish there was one of those epic songs like Divine Wings, Rediscovery, or The Odyssey. I love that style.

Haha... I remember when I saw the track listing and thought it may have been fake... I had the idea of a Death Metallized tribute to Symphony X album. :p

That could bring in some diversity! :lol:

Where to begin. When I first heard the "samples," i was extremely surprised. I knew that there was going to be a darker element to the new material, but not this drastic. I thought Inferno was the perfect balance between the grit/epic part of Russell's voice, incorporated with symphonic and fantasy elements in the music itself. But with 6/10 tracks, the majority of the vocals are the grit, which is way too overboard. Tracks like "Paradise Lost" and "Eve of Seduction" seem like the classic Sym X that we all love, but tracks like "Set the World on Fire" and "Domination" seem to drift toward the more popular style nowadays. While the music still is awesome as always, it would have been nice to see the majority of the vocals be the epic Russell that was found on V than the new gritter Russell.