Passion Immortal

Manbient

Queer Old Man
Jan 12, 2002
Calgary, AB, Canada
www.bumblelovesmusic.com
For a few years now i've been doing compilations of music in which i edit the pieces heavily and place the emphasis on arrangement and flow. The goal is to create a genuine "album" out of a collection of songs or parts of songs. The idea is that the arrangement of the pieces will bring something out in the pieces that is greater than merely hearing them on their own, ie, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. I wanted to create music that would flow between very different and contrasting emotions smoothly.

For the first 2 years or so, i went through a couple different phases of mixing, starting with more song-oriented music and generally moving towards more and more ambient styles. The original mix i did (Tired Sounds Of A Wondering Mind for those who remember) covered a fair bit of ground and was to feature the most actual "songs" of all. The point was to create something powerful to listen to when you go to bed, or when you are just listening to music alone at night. From there, i did 2 more (Requiem Of Gospels Forsaken, which was the "scary" one, and Moonlight Litany, which was the "depressing" one) until finally deciding that i should stick to the original intention of the projects, which was to create these intense contrasts of emotion, and set to work on a project called Passion Immortal.

Passion Immortal then became the "name" of the whole concept for me. Since deciding to do Passion Immortal, i incorporated parts from all 3 of the previous mixes i had done, and after a lot of editing and preparation (and a few preliminary releases before i was happy with the final edition) I had something i was extremely happy with for the first time.

This is probably not really the type of forum for this kind of thing, as guitars are essentially non existant, and there is no metal of ANY sort, but i thought there might be a few here with a bit of interest. Essentially, the music is highly atmospheric "mood" music, and the whole purpose of it was to have something to listen to alone, in the dark at night. It almost works like the soundtrack to a movie inside your head.

I've just now completed the second Passion Immortal compilation, which i've called Stardust Moments. This one is a little less intense and more subtle in approach than the original. It's a 2 disc set around 2 hours, so still very long, but shorter than the first Passion Immortal mix. This one has less of the dynamic volume "spike" as well, so it can actually be listened to more when you actually want to sleep and listen to music before bed too hehe.

Anyway, that's enough babbling. If anyone is interested in this, you can download them from the links below. Now i don't reccomend you listen to ANY of this on your PC, as it's just not the kind of music you would want to listen to while browsing forums, chatting, etc. It's specifically made for times alone, in the dark. I reccomend if you are interested, you download them, and burn them to CD, and wait for an appropriate time to listen to it. Trust me when i say you won't be impressed if you listen to it the same way you do your prog metal and whatnot. It requires a different atmosphere
smile.gif

Passion Immortal: All over the map, from terrifying, to beautiful, to depressing, etc.

http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/PIDisc1.zip

http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/PIDisc2.zip

http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/PIDisc3.zip

Stardust Moments: The lighter, simpler of the two. This one stays mainly in the realm of subtley pretty music, with next to nothing terrifying, and only the occasional depressing bit.

http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/SMDisc1.zip

http://www.bumblelovesmusic.com/music/SMDisc2.zip

Is this music you've written, or other artists music you've edited together?

I couldn't tell from your description.

Anyway, listening now (sorry, but i'll listen properly a little later on, just wanted to get a taste of it). It's really good so far. Well done.

so essentially you took existing music, cut up the tracks, and made a cd-r of your result to form your own version? interesting idea, can't say i've ever done it.

Steedus said:
Is this music you've written, or other artists music you've edited together?

I couldn't tell from your description.

Anyway, listening now (sorry, but i'll listen properly a little later on, just wanted to get a taste of it). It's really good so far. Well done.

compilation of other artists, none of it is my own. I did the editing, which includes some re-EQing of things (ie make some things sound like they are played through an old radio), added reverb in places, the cut-and-paste of parts of songs, volume levels, as well as the layering of certain tracks. Not a single moment of it did i "play".

Kenneth R. said:
so essentially you took existing music, cut up the tracks, and made a cd-r of your result to form your own version? interesting idea, can't say i've ever done it.

yep :)

I've done this to a lesser extreme of course, I think just about everyone has made a mix cd to suit a certain mood or theme. I'm downloading your edits to see what you've done by actually arranging shards of songs.

Kenneth R. said:
I've done this to a lesser extreme of course, I think just about everyone has made a mix cd to suit a certain mood or theme. I'm downloading your edits to see what you've done by actually arranging shards of songs.

well, here's what it "looks" like.

PIMixing.jpg

Steedus said:
30 mins into the 2nd track from the 1st CD... I think the entire No-Man song at the start and then the scream are a little out of place. The rest is excellent though...

really? hehe, that's one of my favorite parts, and is supposed to act as a transitional piece between the kinds of emotions in the first part, and those in the second. The scream is supposed to be like "ok, no fucking around anymore this isn't pretty" or something :p

i figured as much. Listening to your lighter piece (since i had Sigur Rós on before) and it's pretty interesting. A lot of pedal notes, like a movie soundtrack minus the movie.

:lol: LOL at using the Tube sounds. I ride that thing a bit. It does have an interesting sound to it.

haha yeah, Stardust Moments has an overall much more playful tone than Passion Immortal, which is much more "serious" in tone (even the lighter stuff on it).

that part with the subway sounds UNREAL if you've got 5.1 with Dolby Pro Logic II. Totally convincingly sounds like you are there.

you got that right :D

...anyway, i got your passion immortal thingie back when it was 2cd's , listened to the first cd and only the anathema song was what i'd call music, the rest was just ambience... you're right about one having to listen differently to this - maybe i'll get around to it someday .. or ~night :p

prowlergrig said:
you got that right :D

...anyway, i got your passion immortal thingie back when it was 2cd's , listened to the first cd and only the anathema song was what i'd call music, the rest was just ambience... you're right about one having to listen differently to this - maybe i'll get around to it someday .. or ~night :p

do eeet :p i'm telling you, the coolest way to hear it is to put it on when you go to bed. :)